back to article Mobile phone rays paralyse cars

Nissan has warned its customers not to let their keyless-entry devices touch cellphones, according to reports. The company has found that RF emissions during an incoming or outgoing call can wipe the memory of the electronic "I-keys" supplied with two of its flagship models. "We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cellphone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And getting sued on top ..

Their troubles aren't over yet.

Given the name they gave the device and seeing that someone is busy trademarking the letters of the alphabet, who do you think is next after Apple finishes with the iGasp?

Um, let me rephrase that ..

2. Dillon Pyron

Just like Mazda

Several years ago, Mazda had a problem with several of their models where if you inserted the wrong key (let's say you had two Mazdas), the car would be disabled. It took a tow to the dealership and a $100 charge to fix the problem. Eventually Mazda reimbursed the owners and published a TSB (not a recall) with a software fix.

I wonder if Lexus and Toyota are as vulnerable. Not that I'm going to test it until the dealership is open on Tuesday.

3. War Monger

(Laughs evily) Mwahahahaha....

I work in the wireless industry and can confirm that this phenomenon is part of our master plan to immobilize all vehicles. After all, what's the first thing you do when your car won't start?

4. Adrian Jones

They've missed a trick here.

They should've announced it as a safety feature to prevent drivers from driving while using a mobile.

5. Tim Bates

Anyone else noticed that...

I-Key, when said, sounds a lot like IKEA.

I can't help but wonder if the keys are affordable crap (to partially steal a line from Futurama).

6. Tony Rogers

CB Radio and Volvo's

Back in the late 70.s and early 80's a pal of mine was buying cars at auctions and would take 4 or 5 people with him to drive them back to base.

To keep in contact on the journey they used CB radio's.

On a certain frequency whilst transmitting, the Volvo's with electronic ignition

would cut out. They never managed to achieve this with other cars.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like