back to article Microsoft sues Google directly in German Maps-on-Moto lawsuit

Microsoft is taking the rare step of suing Google directly for something, tacking it onto a lawsuit against Motorola Mobility over Google Maps. Yesterday in Munich court, Microsoft's general counsel Dr Tilman Müller-Stoy told Moto that it was going to amend its complaint to add its parent Google as an additional defendant. Dr …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Linux

This patent war is getting out of hand, we are going to be dragged back to the dark ages because of these greedy arrogant fools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think Google does need a good kicking, perhaps then they will stop copying others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think Microsoft does need a good kicking, perhaps then they will stop copying others.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Mushroom

I think trolls do need a good kicking, perhaps then they would stop trolling others.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think Anonymous Coward does need a good kicking, perhaps then they will stop copying others.

4. RICHTO
          Mushroom

The difference is that Microsoft doesn't make a habit of copying anyone where they don't have a licensing agreement to do so....

Google just copies everything in Android - from Java to Maps....

1. Miek
            Linux

"The difference is that Microsoft doesn't make a habit of copying anyone where they don't have a licensing agreement to do so" -- Really? As far as I can tell, Microsoft seem to be last to the table for many technologies and services nowadays, usually Google or Apple do it first then $MS follow suit to "stay relevant".

1. RICHTO
              Mushroom

Microsoft have a cross licensing agreement with Apple. Just off the top of my head, Google copied IE, Office, Lync, Maps, Hotmail, etc. I cant think of anything that Microsoft copied from Google?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed. There's only space for two eco-systems. Android has to go.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think Apple does need a good kicking, perhaps then they will stop copying others and actually credit those who designed underlying applications and OS's

2. Captain Scarlet
          Terminator

Only two?

Anti Competitive git!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you taken time to read the complete pile of crap that this specific patent is.... it should never have been granted, and it was filed 17 years ago so you have to ask why Microsoft have not enforced their patent rights for so long...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Miek

"This patent war is getting out of hand, we are going to be dragged back to the dark ages when there were no iPhones, because of these greedy arrogant fools."

That's what you meant, right?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. g e
    WTF?

So do I remeber this correctly...

1. Apple and microsoft become chums

2. Apple chucks out Gmaps for own malformed baby

3. microsoft sue google over maps

All the same, I think Big G have more mapping sueball ammo than either of the other two. surely it's a bit like punching Mike Tyson in the hope you knock him down by hitting a previously undiscovered weak spot in the hope he doesn't punch you back. Ever.

1. Ramazan

Re: Big G have more mapping sueball

Not necessarily true. First digital maps were created before Google was even founded: "Etak, founded in 1984, was the first company to digitize the maps of the world, as part of the first commercial automotive navigation system". Google didn't develop its maps, it bought Australian company Where 2 Technologies in October 2004. I very much doubt that either Where 2 Technologies or Google hold any of original digital map patents...

1. Ramazan

Re: Big G have more mapping sueball

And Microsoft had web maps at least 6 years before Google: "Bing Maps was based on existing Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft MapPoint, and TerraServer", and the latter was "under continuous operation from June 1998". Guess do MS have any patents for the tech?

4. frank ly
    Facepalm

"... a patent that deals with a computer system for identifying local resources, ..."

I wonder if anyone 'skilled in the art' would be capable of doing this independently.

5. Big_Ted
    Facepalm

MS have fired the first shot but I doubt they will win in the end.

Moto have too many patents that are non frand plus a shed load of applied for ones.

MS may have woken the sleeping dragon with this and we may see Google decide to make it a fight to the finish of either these stupid patent wars by either forcing everyone to see sense or by forcing the US government to step in and force the companies to talk to each other and sort it out.

Hopefully Google also have enough patents etc on mapping tied up themselves and via Moto patents to be able to fight back and tie up both Apple and Nokia at the same time to force both of them to talk.....

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: MS have fired the first shot but I doubt they will win in the end.

But Microsoft have a hell of a lot more patents (something like 25,000) - and spend bundles more on R&D....

6. Dave 150

yay less choice for the German consumer, way to go IP

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about mapquest... and

So... do all those 'you are here' maps at the local mall get zapped as well. Same concept, but just on paper.

8. Turtle

Google Lawyer Representing Moto

"Microsoft's decision to target Google Inc. directly as a co-defendant is also logical for another reason. At today's hearing, there was no Motorola Mobility employee, though there were Motorola in-house lawyers at almost all of the other German court hearings. Instead, the person representing Motorola (!) today was Karen Robinson, an in-house litigation counsel at Google Inc. from Mountain View, California. This shows how Google not only remote-controls but even micromanages Motorola's litigation, at least when one of Google's key online services is at issue.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/10/microsoft-tells-german-court-it-will.html

1. EddieD

Re: Google Lawyer Representing Moto

Much as I hate patent lawsuits, maybe it's better to be going after the organ grinder and leave the monkeys alone.

Google have been insulated from most of the lawsuits involving Android and IP, which is a bit wrong, imo. They have designed the underlying O/S, but their name is not on the box, so they seem to be Teflon.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to arguments involving rectangles with rounded corners, 'cos they're just pants.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: Google Lawyer Representing Moto

They weren't 'insulated'. The trolls were deliberately pussyfooting around them, probably in the hope of building up precidence.

9. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

If Google is found guilty over Google Maps,

It will have a quick look through all the patents it owns on buying Motorola

Find one about using radio waves to send information and have MSFT's windows8 mobile pulled from stores

10. etabeta
    Thumb Down

Microsoft joins Apple as a TROLL!

Apple never saw any of my cash and never will, and now MS is never going to see mine again. Next notebook I buy I will DEMAND a refund for the crap OS (win 8) on it even if it means initiating a lawsuit. Looks like German courts are becoming the EU troll havens.

1. Matthew 25
      Coat

Re: Microsoft joins Apple as a TROLL!

" Looks like German courts are becoming the EU troll havens."

Yes...Well, it was getting cramped under the bridge.

Mine's the one with the billy goat pattern

11. Cameron Colley

Another day another reason to despise Microsoft.

Anyone who bought a Microsoft product should hang their head in shame for helping the lawyers' club remove yet another choice from the consumer.

Keep buying Microsoft, or Apple for that matter, and you're a selfish fool helping ruin software and consumer electronics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: Another day another reason to despise Microsoft.- and the EU for facilitating patent trolls..

Much like like a mid-70s nurse facilitiating Jim's 'fixes', you could just close your eyes I suppose. When it comes to sources of noxious, warm outgassing like the EU.... better out than in I always say.

12. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Hmmm

I guess the Razr HD Maxx, and HD, and M, are worrying bits of kit to mikersoft, eh? But only if you want to be beholden to Verizon. There are other carriers, and I've yet to meet anyone who desires to move to AT&T just to get a Nokia Windows 8 phone.

13. JaitcH
    FAIL

So, if MS wins, make THE Map App a free downloadable

I think what really lies behind this is market share or, at least, MS lack of share.

Balmer is having a rough of late, what with a pay cut, etc. And his latest idea of an iOS rentable computer might not be the greatest idea, techies like freedom.

I won't authorise the purchase of any equipment, of any type, that ties me to a single source supplier.

14. Glostermeteor

More patent nonsense. I hope a judge throws all these stupid things out of court, so that the world can get back to innovating and developing new ideas rather than fighting in the courtroom. As soon as you take something like this to court its basically admitting that you're not man enough to fight in the marketplace.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like