back to article Samsung, not Nokia, fans' most favoured WinPho brand

Nine per cent of folk thinking of getting a new phone in the next six months say they’re likely to go for a Windows Phone 8 device. So suggests research data from ChangeWave, a US pollster, after asking 4300-odd North Americans and assorted other peoples in September about their near-term smartphone purchasing plans. If you’ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RICHTO
    Mushroom

Actually Windows Phone market share is near 5%, not 2%

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2012/10/11/windows-phone-8-to-pile-more-pain-on-rim/

1. Chemist

Perhaps RICHTO you should learn to read AND comprehend

What 'your' link actually says is :

"Ovum has forecast the Windows Phone OS will increase its market share from under five per cent IN THE UK today to around 13 per cent within five years "

It appears of similar quality to the other rubbish you post

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: Perhaps RICHTO you should learn to read AND comprehend

So that backs up what i said - It's near 5% today.

1. Chemist

Re: Perhaps RICHTO you should learn to read AND comprehend

Selective amnesia as well eh ?

IN THE UK !!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know one person with a WP7

And they hate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I know one person with a WP7

I know two people with one and they both love it.

Isn't anecdotal evidence great.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't know anyone with a windows phone, and I LIKE PONIES.

1. Adam 1
            Happy

I only know one person who loves ponies and they know no one with a win phone.

2. Great Bu

When you say you like ponies, are we talking in the 'they are cute little horsey things' or in the 'take a deep breath, this is going to get experimental but no need to go calling the RSPCA' way ?

2. Richard Plinston

> I know two people with one and they both love it.

How do they organize the sharing of it ? Do they love it only when the other person has it ?

2. VaalDonkie

I find the Windows Phone interface to be the most natural feeling mobile phone interface. It's pretty too. The only thing I don't like is that you can't really customise the look of your home screen. But maybe I'm just nostalgic over windows mobile 6.5 and my Samsung Omnia i900.

All I want to see in the end is for sanity to prevail and Apple to lose a bit of market share to the other players. The iPhone is good, but it doesn't warrant the share it currently has. None of the players do. There's almost nothing to choose between Android and iOS and Windows Mobile should be a major contender if the number of available apps increases.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Windows Phone 8 will allow the customisation beyond rearranging tiles.

1. Richard Plinston

> Windows Phone 8 will allow the customisation beyond rearranging tiles.

Yes, it will also allow rearranging the deckchairs ;-)

3. Ryan Clark

The Samsung immediately attracts me as it is the only windows phone with a card slot. I would like something with a keyboard though like my departed HTC 7pro, I am not overly impressed with my current (and hopefully temporary) Lumia 710.

1. DanW

If you want a card slot...

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia820/specifications/

The Nokia 820 has one too - unfortunately the 920 does not :-(

4. ratfox

Asking in the US whether people will buy a Nokia…

Is like asking in Europe whether people will buy a GM car. The brand is just not known enough.

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

@ratfox Re: "Asking in the US whether people will buy a Nokia…" Indeed, clearly.

When it comes to the alternatives to the ubiquitous iPhone it is a no-brainer that in the US market the brand that most US consumers know best is of course (for entirely understandable and, IHMO, wholly deserved reasons) Samsung. In Europe of course the situation is not quite so clear cut. Any attempt to draw any form of global conclusions from this survey is of course total bollox. It will however of course provide encouragement for those who wish the Finns ill. The gold card members of the Choral Howling Association will no doubt draw (or more accurately, pretend to draw) great comfort from this survey.

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Asking in the US whether people will buy a Nokia…

Spot on. IIRC Nokia never had anything like the popularity in the US that they had elsewhere so, if anything, those are encouraging figures for them.

Also you'd never ask anyone if they would buy a GM car, it's not a brand. You'd ask if they'd buy a Vauxhall, Opel, Chevrolet, etc.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is an odd story given that Samsung's support for their WinPho devices is the worst among WinPho OEMs.

1. dssf

Samsung this year not rolling out win phone at home...

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122088.html

" During a brief meeting with local reporters at Samsung’s main office in downtown Seoul, Thursday, its mobile chief Shin Jong-kyun said; “We will release the Ativ tablet this month (in Europe) and also the Ativ S smartphone will be available either late this month or early next month in some countries.”

The Ativ S is Samsung’s new smartphone variant using Microsoft’s Windows 8 mobile platform. The S phone was introduced at the recent IFA trade fair in Berlin.

“The Ativ has attracted attention because the name change reflects Samsung’s higher expectation for Windows phone. But the chances of the Ativ S to hit the jackpot in Korea are quite low,” said the official.

Last November, Nokia of Finland introduced the Lumia 710 using the Windows platform via KT, the nation’s No. 2 mobile carrier. However, the results were disappointing with less than 3,000 sold, according to KT officials.

Microsoft ran big promotional campaigns to lower inventories. “Despite cash-burning marketing campaigns, Microsoft failed to sell more Lumias,” said a KT official.

“Against bad memories of Omnia’s failure, Samsung’s Galaxy S3 smartphones which use Google Android as the main platform is selling well. It’s going to be tough for Samsung to heavily invest its resources on a Windows platform,” said another Samsung official.

Samsung plans to release a 5-inch Android phone next month — another addition to the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note2.

LG in talks with Google

LG Electronics also plans not to introduce smartphones using Microsoft’s Windows software. Rather, the Seoul-based consumer electronics giant is in talks with Google for LG’s first Google reference smartphone.

Its mobile chief Park Jong-seok made it clear that the company isn’t considering releasing a smartphone that uses Windows as the main platform and stressed that ties with Google are strengthening."

Not good news for ms...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung

Samsung made an amazing WP7.5 device, the Focus S, i got one imported from the states and it ticks every box,very impressed. Samsung CAN do the business,but then they go and ruin it with a couple of crappy after sale decisions.

Firstly by locking in with AT&T there is almost no userbase

Secondly, by "fixing" the few issues there was with the device you broke other things(fixed keyboard sound lag, broke volume)

Thirdly, just allow us to interop unlock our devices, the marketplace isnow encrypted, there is no reason NOT to do it, we can do it on until you "fixed" it, now, if you wasnt careful you can no longer do it

and finally, give us flashable ROMs we can use to wipe our devices, it will save on tech support costs,"faulty phone? wipe it with this, and try again"

Now i know that sounds all rather technical but the first one was the death blow, the others just further kicks in the ribs to a device that can rival any WP device and many android devices. Samsung knows its stuff, they just need to put it all together. And to be honest i have my doubts that they can do that.

Samsungs / Nokia product Designs

HTCs device support (drivers, BL etc)

Nokia software support

get it together guys!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung

sorry for my shocking use language, i have no excuse :/

7. Waspy
    Megaphone

Even HTC produce better hardware than Sammy...

I've said this before in another El Reg forum, people just buy what they know/see/what their mates have. People like to be reassured by a name they at least know if not trust and in the US, Nokia is not exactly a household name. I wonder what the response would be like in Europe? Maybe similar, but probably more for the fact Nokia has simply had it's brand tarnished for too long and everyone just thinks of them as the reliable dumb phone maker now. Which is all a real shame as what I also said in another El Reg forum were words to the effect of "Samsung punters will be disappointed with ultimately pretty crappy hardware, aside from the admitedly excellent screen". If Nokia can't pull thruogh this one it will be a major shame, not least because they are some of the best hardware makers in the business.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only direction Samsung can go..

If they will stay with Android Apple will hunt them to the brink of hell, on form factor, and functionality. Hell Apple even brought in WinPho to show a mobile with isn't a blunt copy of the IPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only direction Samsung can go..

No, it's really not. The decision in the previous case will not stand on appeal. Try to keep up...

9. Bassey

Oddness

"after asking 4300-odd North Americans"

Why did they only ask odd North Americans? Or was that the only variety they could find?

1. Robot

Re: Oddness

There is a difference in meaning between

"4300-odd North Americans"

and

"4300 odd North Americans".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

How many just assumed that a Samsung phone meant Android?

Lots I suspect...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many just assumed that a Samsung phone meant Android?

Many average people don't have a clue what Android is, and don't realize that a Samsung phone and a Motorola phone are running the same software. When they see a friend's SGS3 and later hear a survey asking about Samsung Windows phones, some people are probably thinking "yeah that was cool, that's what I want".

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What was the (public) reason again for Nokia going the Windows only route

I guess they went the right route considering how badly Samsung is doing supporting both.

I can see one good thing coming from that a decision - Nokia will be a case study for many years on how to destroy a company.

1. Dave 15

Re: What was the (public) reason again for Nokia going the Windows only route

Yup, still waiting to see if I win my bet about the date Nokia finally shuts its doors.

Pity that the shareholders aren't people with a real interest but massive 'pension companies' losing your pension money by leaving a dud dude in charge of the company they part own.

12. Dave 15

triple...

Asking Americans about such things hardly represents a world view does it (even though the Americans probably think so).

I will wait and see if winpho ever makes it to double figures as a market share.

It is amazing to remind the Nokia shareholders that when Elop announced Symbian was a 'burning platform' its sales were going up and its market share was orders of magnitude bigger than the winpho market share. He clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow despite the money they paid him. (I also believe he is the only executive to preside over a drop in the sales of Microsoft Office - might explain why he was 'available' to bring his 'wisdom' elsewhere, I would certainly make him available).

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: triple...

Symbian sales were increasing because Nokia were selling products dirt cheap in order to shore up their marketshare. Plus, a lot of these "Symbian" devices that were being sold included devices that nobody considered to be "new-style" smartphones, and they weren't being sold as such.

Don't kid yourself - Symbian was dying, and MeeGo was about to be stillborn. In both cases, the cause of death was the same: stopping development efforts in favour of deckchair shuffling (in Symbian's case, replacing perfectly good code in order to allow the sourcecode to be "open"; in Maemo's, merging with Intel's immature and incompatible MeeGo distro)

I'm not happy about either of these deaths, but it's the truth. From the deep hole in which Elop found Nokia, the only realistic options were Windows or Android. Of these, Android meant playing third or fourth fiddle to everyone else, and also giving up every cent they'd invested in Navteq.

Based on what's shown so far, WP8 is finally competitive with the others. I'll reserve my judgement on it until after MS have pulled the whole rabbit from the hat at the end of October, but unlike WP7.x , it now has enough useful features to be considered a contender, rather than an interesting design study.

On the survey, I agree. The only conclusions that can reliably be drawn are that a. slightly more people are considering Windows Phone than before, and b. Samsung has a better brand awareness in the USA than Nokia. Neither is really news.

2. lauri_hoefs
      Windows

Re: triple...

I really don't get the romanticized picture a lot of people seem to have regarding Symbian and the "good old Nokia." Probably I've had to cope with a bit too many 6000, N, E and C-series handsets and versions of PC/Ovi/Nokia Suite, to have been thoroughly disillusioned.

Most of the Symbian devices sold were "classic" type handsets. Symbian device's share of the smartphone market was not so good to begin with, and declining. Many of the late top-of-the-line Symbian phones were buggy and behind competition, though the platform was still doing well in entry level models, especially in developing markets. But the platform was a nightmare to code for, as the tools provided were not very good, and software made for one handset model was never fully quarantined to work on any other existing or upcoming model.

The planned Meego/Maemo system was years behind schedule due to internal power struggles and sloppy management, and no other phone manufacturer was going to touch it with a ten foot pole. It was made on an Intel platform that had no planned route to LTE support, which would have been crucial in North American market. Intel was not doing anything to advance Meego development, it's hardware platform was outdated, and with no partners it would not have been a feasible plan to go with Meego against Android and iOS. Yes, it was nice to have a bit more diversity on the market. And yes, the software could have been ported on other hardware, but that would have required more time, which Nokia really didn't have anymore.

So the options were to lose market share and go alone with a platform no-one else was even remotely interested in supporting. Or lose market share, and go with an existing mature and widely supported platform, with some hope of gaining at least some part of the market share back later.

Care to elaborate what you would have done in Elop's place, and what you predict the outcome would have been?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Predictions

Everybody has one, and they all stink.

14. Rukario
    Windows

So we're going to need a new name

Apple -> Fanboi/Fangrrl

Android -> Fandroid

WinPho -> Fanborg (from "Borg of Redmond" - anyone have other suggestions?)

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Coat

Re: So we're going to need a new name

I can think of three possibilities:

h4rmony

RICHTO

Spearchucker Jones

Right, I'm going . . .

2. jungle_jim

MoPho

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WinMoPho.

15. Nathan Hague
    Pint

I want a Galaxy Note screen with WP8

I had a HTC Pro 7 and it was truly a brilliant piece of kit. At the time, it had no Skype baked in though, which was a pain in the arse, and no SIP abilities. Has that been sorted with WP8 now - the SIP inclusion?

1. VaalDonkie

Re: I want a Galaxy Note screen with WP8

Don't know about baked-in, but I got Skype from the marketplace for my Lumia 900(WP7.5). It's just a little download and install. Now, I will admit that I don't know whether or not Skype qualifies as a SIP service, but Wikipedia seems to suggest so.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: I want a Galaxy Note screen with WP8

Not yet. The current WP version of Skype doesnt allow full VOIP functionality as far as I am aware. But it is coming soon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like