back to article Dolly the Sheep creator scientist Keith Campbell dies

Biologist Keith Campbell, famous for creating the first cloned mammal, Dolly the sheep, has died aged 58, the University of Nottingham said. Professor Campbell's creation of a live Ovis aries clone in 1996 was an incredible event, thrilling scientists with a breakthrough that paved the way for other successful cloning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Youngdog

Err, might be to soon but...

...why don't we just clone him?

1. Tom 7

Re: Err, might be to soon but...

perhaps he already did!

2. Mike Taylor
      Thumb Up

You beat me to it, dammit.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Because only 1 in 277 attempts of the technique he championed was successful and he said himself that it would never be viable for human cloning.

I'm not anti-clone (which is a bit like being anti-science in a way), but it's not a terrible useful or reliable technique even years after Dolly.

Humour brought down to stark reality, so the reason they didn't clone him is that the sheep that inherited his estate said it wasn't viable science.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

I thought it was that the clone started out at the same age as the original was at the time the cells were taken. Cloning a dead scientist (or otherwise) would just create an old young man.

In any event, I wouldn't clone myself because of that Calvin & Hobbes episode with the Duplicator...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"only 1 in 277 attempts of the technique he championed was successful"

Does that mean it took 544 attempts to produce Jedward?

2. hi_robb

R.I.P

P.s have you met his identical brother yet?

3. Stuart Ball

There's a man who should have been Nobel-ed.

4. handle

He was only on "The Reunion" a month ago

You can listen here.

5. JeffyPooh
    Pint

58?

That sucks. Oh well, he's accomplished more than most of us.

RIP.

6. Spoonsinger
    Unhappy

Umm,

usually an obituary should have the cause. 58 doesn't seem like old age. (Not the reg's fault as none of the other sites have it either). Just curious like in a morbid sort of way.

1. Jordan 1

Re: Umm,

He was probably a clone himself. That would explain the decreased lifespan, if they were able to solve the telomere length problem.

This topic is closed for new posts.