back to article Apple bags chippery guru from rival Samsung

There's already no love lost between Seoul and Cupertino, but that rivalry has surely racheted up another notch now that Apple has reportedly bagged one of the Korean electronics giant's top chip designers. The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday that Apple has hired Jim Mergard, who joined Samsung last June as one of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gkroog
    Trollface

Oh well...

...Samsung will hopefully be able to use their chips in their own phones and tables, with at least some of the injunctions against which being set to be overturned by the US Court of Appeals...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Article Makes no sense

If the guy was only at Samsung for 16 months, how is his leaving a blow to Samsung.

I was also of the belief that chip design was different from their manufacturing. So how does apple employing a chip designer who was only employed at Samsung for a few months a blow to Samsung and how does it help to move manufacturing to GlobalFoundries or TSMC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Article Makes no sense

Please do not use facts to get in the way of El Reg's editorial policy, you'll be put in the naughty step next.

2. toadwarrior
      FAIL

That's over a year and given the average time in a job is 2 years, it's not like he's leaving too soon.

He has tons of experience from AMD and may be a replacement for someone key at samsung retiring or whatever. He will need replacing no matter what and that will be a time & money cost to samsung.

Point is, no one has enough info so saying the reg is wrong (and that is a safe bet generally) would be wrong too.

I understand, your irrational hate for a non-living entity is great and you want to poo-poo everything they do but maybe it's time to log off and get back to your dead-end helpdesk job.

1. Danny 14

16 months doesnt sound a long time in chip development. Perhaps samsung is simply moving in a different direction. AMD architechture was revolutionary with the original athlon but has become more and more irrelevant. Even the lastest "big thing" with the AMD vision did not work out as intended. I guess he simply wasnt good enough to retain. I very much doubt he simply took apples offer and ran.

3. toadwarrior
    Trollface

Better to work on iphones than iphone clones.

4. Wang N Staines
    Happy

So Apple is admitting that Samsung chips are better than theirs at this moment.

1. It'sa Mea... Mario

Apple designed the chips, they simply get Samsung to make them (currently).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like