back to article Curiosity finds . . . wait for it . . . a ROCK on MARS!

NASA reports that the first Martian rock it has examined with the Curiosity's arm-mounted Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer (APXS) shows curious similarities to a rare form of mineral found on Earth. The rock, named "Jake Matijevic" after a JPL engineer who died just after Curiosity landed on Mars, was lasered 30 times on 14 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

More funding required to investigate

First task in any research exercise is to set up the next round of funding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More funding required to investigate

I don't understand what you're saying here? We should cease the exploration of space and just wait for our planet/star to die?

If there is one scientific venture that should always have funding, it's space exploration. Travelling between stars is an incomprehensible challenge and the clock is ticking.

All the sysadmins here wouldn't trust their data to one hard disk. We at the minute are trusting one planet with our species. Granted it has a better retention factor than a hard disk, but tell that to the dinosaurs.

1. Wombling_Free
        Devil

Yes, they are saying that. Top economists have proven that trying to save the planet / star is pointless, and you should simply acquire as much material wealth as you can.

The whole point of existence is simply to be able to piss on those lower than you. Didn't you get that memo?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Yes, they are saying that. Top economists have proven that trying to save the planet / star is pointless, and you should simply acquire as much material wealth as you can."

Space exploration isn't about saving the star/planet. It's about finding a suitable replacement home and coming up with the technology to get there.

"The whole point of existence is simply to be able to piss on those lower than you."

While I wouldn't say it's the "point," the sad reality in this world is you do have to put yourself first. The "point" as you put it, is the survival and evolution of life - which inevitably means leaving Earth and our solar system.

2. Scott 2
    Trollface

Amazing

I just can't help feeling slightly giddy when I see these crystal clear pics of stuff on another world.*

It truly is remarkable, and hopefully not an elaborate hoax like the moon landings.

* - this bit is serious, I'm astounded at the whole concept of literally seeing Mars in high detail.

1. Captain DaFt
      Thumb Up

Re: Amazing

Yep, it always brings to mind the boast of The Professor from Gahan Wilson's book "Everybody's Favorite Duck"*

""With these eyes, I have seen Mars!"

*Printed in 1988 ISBN 0-89296-295-X Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Everybodys-Favorite-Duck-Gahan-Wilson/dp/0445408413?tag=duckduckgo-d-20

3. Eddy Ito

Oh no

They're going to lase a "Kilroy was here" on that poor rock, aren't they?

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Oh no

I'd say being the memorial/epitaph/tombstone for the departed engineer is much more fitting...

A nice note of humanity in all of the wonderful science.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh no

"They're going to lase a "Kilroy was here" on that poor rock, aren't they?"

You know, that may not be a bad way to fund future missions. Sort of like getting your mug on the Red Bull F1 car for £15 or whatever it was.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where did it come from?

No, not the rock. Where did that idiotic "wait for it" thing come from? Who started that? Is there a point to it? What purpose does it serve? Why do people say (or write) it? What are they trying to prove?

So many questions.

1. Killraven

Re: Where did it come from?

Totally agreed. There has never been a joke, nor a story, that has ever benefited by "waiting for it".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Challenge accepted!

One can't help but feel there would be fewer questions if you didn't ask the first one twice and the second four times. Clearly it's a device used to build tension, for comic effect in this case. Its use has recently been made popular by a character in an American sitcom.

5. zxmar05

I knew it...

Did somebody say "pyramid"?

1. Snapper
      Thumb Up

Re: I knew it...

Dang! You got there before me!

6. robert_raw

Why do they call it a Rover?

Is it because they are not initially sure if it will make it to its destination and once it gets there they are not sure how long it will last before it no longer works.

7. Khaptain Silver badge

The beggining of a new civilisation

Maybe this rock will becomet the foundation for a new, just and equal society where mankind can live peacefully with his fellow citizens. It might be the end to all religious problems, after all only God could have put that rock there.

Bwahhhh ha ha ha ha

LOL, it's Friday and somebody has to stir up some futile ideas. The real world scenario would probably encompass the bashing of someones head with the aformentioned rock in order to ensure their own personal survival. Rocks are well know for being harder than the average human skull and this one does not appear to be any different.

8. Steve Hosgood
    Facepalm

"Curiosity will now rumble forward another 100 yards to the east..."

Nooooooo! Whazza matter with you people? That should have been "Curiosity will now rumble forward the length of about ten London buses to the east..."

or, following the comments on the recent "units" debate:

"Curiosity will now rumble forward another 90 m to the east..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Curiosity will now rumble forward another 100 yards to the east..."

Curiously, this 100 yard journey is cheaper per yard than taking the tube from Leicester Square to Covent Garden.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

alien artefact scam

this is getting duller by the day. They should have shot a beachball into the distance upon landing. the rover would have eventually come across it . Next thing trillions spent on a manned mission to see wtf is going on.

bozo's everywhere speculating etc etc.

1. Scott 2
      Go

Re: alien artefact scam

I don't understand this post. Are you saying the enrichment of human knowledge is worth less than a politician screwing a country?

At least money is being spent on the most important aspect of human evolution. We are not perfect, nor should we stand still in perceived perfection as the world crumbles around us.

We need missions like this to evolve, to move away from the stagnant corporate swamp we currently live in, to discover and understand the next phase of our existence.

1. Scott 2
        WTF?

Re: alien artefact scam

I love this site... downvoted for what, exactly?

Or are you a politician?

10. Crisp
    Alien

Pyramids on Mars

There's no way any human could have built a structure like that...

Cue Twilight Zone music.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a lowly civil engineer's view...

Is it only me?

But, does Jake look like it has recently fallen of someone's gate post, I am fairly convinced that there is a bed of mortar at the base of it and the pyramidal shape looks very 'crafted'.

Conspiracy anyone??

12. The Axe
    Alien

Base

I wonder why no one has commented on the seemingly smooth edge/lip at the bottom of the rock. Looks like the rock has been carved by some alien hand off a large piece.

13. Wombling_Free
    Trollface

And cue the nutcase gallery...

going apeshit over the discovery of a rock with clearly alien markings on it in...

three...

two...

one...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spooky

I can see Will.i.am's face in it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Fools!!

It's clearly not a real pyramid, it's a leftover stage prop from Spinal Tap's last tour....

Stone-enge!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like