back to article Asia skills shortages attract job-hunting IT project managers

There was good news today for IT pros keen on a move to Asia, with new data suggesting hiring expectations in the technology sector better than any other and a notable skills shortage emerging in Hong Kong. It's not all happy days out East, though, as experts also warned of long working hours and risk of employee burn-out for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Current economique climate dilemma

Given the current state of the economique climate, personally I would consider a move to Asia way up on the High Risk chart.

Besides the option of travelling I really don't see what advantages there would be working in overcrowded cities where rents/costs are on par or above typical European cities.

I had considered it a few years back but at the end of the day I couldn't find any real advantage. I have already travelled and worked abraod, I still do, so that side of things is not appealing. My current salary allows me sufficient perks so its not a salary thing. I do agree that the culture would be interesting but is that enough ? it is just for a temporary 3 or 4 years stint ? It would take at least 1 year to become comfortable getting about and learning the basics of the language. That would leave maybe a further 2 or 3 years before you start pining for your homeland.

So unless you are young and ambitious, but then you wouldn't have any experience to offer, who exactly would these jobs offers appeal to ? Its an honest question and not a critique.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I was an economic refugee in Hong Kong in the early 1990s. I scrimped and saved so that I could afford to come back home to the UK and put a 11% deposit down on my house. But now I'm 20 years older and have geographical ties, I can't just up sticks and go to the other side of the world.

Anyway, IT is intrinsically non-location-dependant. If Asian IT companies demand my skills, they can damn well pay me to do the work here in the UK. There's this modern thing called long-distance electronic communication, you may have heard about it, it's only been around about 190 years.

3. Eduard Coli
    Pint

So what?

In the US many IT workers, those few still working in IT are pulling over 50 hour weeks.

The problem is not a problem, unless the corporation or someone with juice in the party does it for you the official work permit period is 90 days with a cap on 3 renewals and the PRC says what jobs are available.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like