back to article NetApp and Cisco waggle shrunken ExpressPod at Hitachi and friends

It looks like the vendors are sizing each other up for battle in the converged systems world at VMworld: NetApp and Cisco have announced ExpressPod, a pre-packed and tested and downsized FlexPod. Storage clustering has been added into the FlexPod mix and Oracle has announced an RAC/VMware FlexPod. Just one day after Hitachi's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Franko Davidson

Nice addition to portfolio

I sell these products and It is nice to see Cisco is thinking about the little guy as there were a lot of customers that I just could not talk UCS or Flexpod with as it was overkill for them. I have had a challenge with this since Cisco started shipping UCS. Traditional Cisco UCS is way overkill for a small customer because you are purchaseing the infrastructure up front to support 5-10 chassis of cisco blades which equals anywhere form 20 - 80 physical servers. Factor in virtualization and you were essentialy investing in a base infrastructure to support hundres of discrete server workloads. While this is awesome for larger customers, the smaller customer simply could not justify buying in to this, so thank you Cisco for thinking about smaller acocunts and allowing more access to this technology.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

!!

Look out for the HDS equivalent! Coming to you early 2016!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cisco might buy NetApp

Now that EMC has taken off their glove and slapped Cisco with Nicira, via VMware. I wouldn't be surprised to see the switch king decide to retaliate with a purchase of NetApp. It isn't as though Cisco is afraid of burning partner bridges, ask a server OEM. That could cause EMC to buy HP. Take HP servers, storage and networking and spin off PCs and printers. Long shot, but stranger things have happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cisco might buy NetApp

Which would be the stupidest move ever!

2. MDebelic

Re: Cisco might buy NetApp - why?

Simple rule of M&A (vis a vis Cisco/NtAp): you don't have to buy a company if you can get everything you need from them anyway and there is no one else interested in buying them.

Also EMC buying troubled. 300.000 employee HP just to get a server technology is pretty insane.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like