back to article Office 2013 hits RTM, will ship starting in November

Microsoft has put the finishing touches on Office 2013, paving the way for the latest version of Redmond's flagship productivity suite to reach general availability in the first quarter of 2013. An early preview of Office 2013 has been available for download since July, but that trial version lacked some features, including …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Barry Rueger
    Coat

Suggestion based on many years of experience.

Buy Office 2010 now, get a free upgrade

Really? I'd say buy 2010 now, avoid the 2013 version for at least a couple of years.

Or dig out the old discs from Office '97, which likely STILL will handle whatever you need.

(Mine's the one with the WP 5.1 discs in the pocket)

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Suggestion based on many years of experience.

Outlook 97 doesn't work properly in Windows 7, and even if it worked, the <2GB OST/PST limit and the inability to work with anything newer than Exchange 2003 are serious limits - Office 2000 and XP have the 2GB limit as well and they don't behave well in Win7 either. Office 2003 is fine in all respects.

I agree on the Office 2010 vs 2013 in general. If there are no new features that you need, wait for the SP1 before upgrading.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Touch friendly?

Meh. Wouldn't touch it with a feckin' barge pole.

3. mr0c

Barge pole? That's too good. I wouldn't touch it with your (insert fondleslab preference here) !

4. Ole Juul

And . . .

I need this because?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And . . .

Nothing wrong with new versions of things coming out. Maybe it'll have features other people need or just want, or like. Let's face it, most peoples' word processing needs could probably be handled by Wordwise on a Beeb ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And . . .

Wordwise? Inter-Word was much better.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

here we go again...

here we go again.. more comments from people that haven't used it yet still proceed to tell the world how sh** the product is and that they still use office 97 or 95 on their XP machine, nobody needs anything other than that.. bla bla blahdy f***g blah!

I have been using O13 on preview for months, it had(has?) loads of silly little bugs which will more than likely have been ironed out by now, but from an interface perspective its much more usable and even though the bugs were annoying and in some cases meant I had to quit and restart programs like outlook, I still stuck with it because the interface was a refreshing change which actually improved my user experience!!!

It really surprises me that for a site which is all about technology how many people on here insist on living in the past and are never willing to give anything a go!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: here we go again...

It's more a case of :

New MS stuff? Reg readers call it a waste of time and money.

If it's a new version of something open source, however, that's OK. Even if it's for the worse, because - well, you can recode it yourself, you know?

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

I'll give anything a ago, but if it doesn't work for me then I won't use it. Unfortunately, the ribbon doesn't work for me so that's MS Office off my shopping list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: here we go again... @Admiral Grace Hopper

Then that's cool by me, if it really doesn't work for you, you have a different way of working which is more productive for you etc... then that's fine, use something different, that's the beauty of choice!

The thing that grinds my gears is the knock down of an MS product because it is just that... an MS product.

and by the way - $100 says that the freetard 'Linux Office 2017' looks identical to Office 2010/2013 :-)

3. Matt_payne666

thank goodness, someone that shares the same view as me... I like new hardware and software, ill give it a go before po-pooing it...

All these people running XP and office 2000, come on, this is the year 2012 things move on! and things improve... Im no power user when it comes to office, but 2013 preview has ticked all the right boxes so far, I type and words appear on the screen... I will be downloading the full version as soon as its released too... (OVS subscriber) It will be nice to see what touch/metro integration will be like.

4. James Pickett

"never willing to give anything a go"

Only with MS stuff. And largely because of experience.

Anyway, why pay money to carry on doing what you are already doing? What WP or SS task can you not do with current (or older) versions?

5. BlueGreen

Well, lessee. I gave the goddamn ribbon a fair chance and recently re-inserted the menu using this <http://www.addintools.com/office2010/word/index.html>. Suddenly I can work noticeably faster[*] again. I am chuffed. The ribbon sucks. It's was designed to make things easier to find, but if you resize the screen the ribbon shuffles things around and lo, they are gone again. With menus back in I *always know where to find given functionality*. The ribbon is a failure.

Bugs now... that's a common theme through all word & excel since time began. Truth is, they are somewhat better than before, but still excel crashes regularly and word styles cock up if you do anything too useful with them and Access... (shudder). Having seriously less buggy office products would be of real value. But no, facile UI tweaks rock, if you're stupid and in marketing.

I've no doubt LO/OO wil have bugs but it's free.

[*] I could work a sight faster yet if the bloody brokers would quit their endless yapping.

6. Tezfair
    FAIL

One feature required...

The ability to get rid of the white. I tried it for a couple of hours before it had to be removed, just too bright.

1. Philippe
      FAIL

Re: One feature required...

I agree wholeheartedly, I have tried pretty much every beta, (even Alphas) of various Office versions since 2003, and I went through the bugs, the ribbon, but eventually got used to all of it. (even learnt to live with the never fixed displays and packets drop bugs in Office2010).

However this white thing just was too awful to look at.

For the first time ever, I've removed a new version of Office off of my machines within half an hour of installing it.

It's just too fugly.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

What is the compelling reason to buy this then?

Come on MS we are all ready to put our hands in our pockets if you give us a really good reason to.

Please don't say 'Touch' as we can't afford a Windows Tablet AND Office at the same time in these austere times.

So come on, I dare you?

Make us want to buy it.

If you don't then it is going to be another 'Meh' and we will carry on using Office 2003 (or earlier)

1. Phoenix50
      Stop

Re: What is the compelling reason to buy this then?

Select versions of Office 2013 will come bundled with Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 x86 tablets.

So potentially you won't have to pay for it at all - just the hardware it's running on.

There, that better?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like