back to article Office for Android and iOS to ship by March 2013?

A product manager for Microsoft's Czech division may have let the cat out of the bag on Wednesday – almost – when he announced that versions of Microsoft Office for Android and iOS devices may ship as early as the first quarter of next year. After spotting a report on the Czech site IHNED, The Verge was first to cite Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox

"Forgive us for being a little disappointed"

MS to release an ARM version for anything other than Windows RT? I am not saying that it is impossible that they will but I think that it is far more likely that they regard the Office package as a key selling point for Windows RT slabs given that they will be bundling it with those devices. It is of course possible that there is a bit of a turf war going on behind the curtains at Redmond between the Office and the Windows divisions over whether or not to release this to other devices/operating systems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed at Microsoft.

2. P. Lee

Not going to happen or extremely hobbled (to help stop LibreOffice/Android).

3. paulc
    Mushroom

Obviously the hardware has caught up enough then

to handle the bloat of MS Office...

GDR...

All the other Office suite vendors for IOS and Android must be quaking in their boots now the 800lb gorilla has decided to join in the fun...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Obviously the hardware has caught up enough then

But still not for the bloat of LibreOffice?

4. Jason Hindle

It would be a smart move from Microsoft (IMHO)

Office for Android and iOS would be a bigger money spinner than the WinPho platform they'd doubtless seek to protect. And a full featured version (if they bite the bullet) won't come cheap.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed the boat

...as far as I am concerned.

6. Big_Ted

Office for iOS & Android.

If so then it will be a simple viewer on your device and a subscription service with all the grunt work etc done online in remote servers.

They could then sale a server addon version to companies on a licence basis same as everything else.

That way it would be fairly simple to develope, run pretty quickly on even lower spec kit and be an ongoing revenue stream rather than not selling on Android or iOS for not being a full office package.

7. b166er

It was bound to happen.

Microsoft realised long ago, that they need their products on a more diverse set of devices and platforms if they wanted to compete with Google and keep Apple from using their power in the portable sector to consolidate their position in the PC sector.

Users who don't care either way about fanboy wars, like using OneNote and Lync and I imagine they'll like using Word and Excel on whatever device they choose too.

Hopefully, what this all amounts to, is an RDP8 client for iOs and Android (although probably not) and they're talking about streaming apps to these devices like OnLive Desktop

RDP8 of course, features RemoteFX for WAN.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Office Moblie is already on Symbian/Belle so why not iOS and Andriod?

9. PeterM42
    Childcatcher

Don't need it......

Polaris Office works well enough on my Android smartphone. Why keep paying into Bill Gates pension fund?

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: Don't need it......

That's only comparible to Office mobile - which is free anyway....

10. MontyMole

Probably subscription only

I'm going to guess that Office mobile will only work if you've gone for the subscription version of Office.

11. RonWheeler
    Stop

The real elephant in the room

is the fact that you can't do any real work on s41tty little touchscreens, so the whole thing is a storm in a teacup.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like