back to article Samsung says 'yes' to iPhone 5-sized Galaxy S III

Samsung has confirmed that it’ll launch a 4in version of its Android-based popular Galaxy S III smartphone in Germany tomorrow. The scaled down device is being pitched at Europeans unhappy with the existing, 4.8in S III and would prefer something a little easier to hold and use in one hand and fits in pockets better. Something …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JetSetJim
    Mushroom

Apple lawsuit in...

Five....Four....Three....Two...

1. Kay Burley ate my hamster
      Go

Re: Apple lawsuit in...

If rounded corners can be patented, then so can screen size right?! ;)

1. JOKM
        FAIL

Re: Apple lawsuit in...

Worse than that, since even silence can be copywrited (yes I know different process, but same argument), I can imagine some clever lawyer will patent screen sizes that are not 4", then we are all in trouble.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The new handset will be called the Galaxy S, and will be released 2 years ago.

3. LarsG
      Meh

So much for

So much for 'but everyone wants a large screen' philosophy.

2. aj87
    Thumb Down

Why the need to compare it to the iPhone 5? Like the iPhone 5 was the first 4" device. Apple have only just realised the trend and like for larger screens. Samsung's already been and done 4".

Let me try a new headline for you. "Samsung says 'yes' to Galaxy S II sized Galaxy S III."

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

The Galaxy S II has a 4.3 inch screen - not 4 - but it's not like fact have an relevance in these discussions, right?

1. Danny 14
        Flame

if you are going to diss someone, get your facts straight first.

The galaxy s2 name had many variants. The SGH-I927 galaxy s2 variant had a 4" screen. Samsung are no strangers to releasing many variants of their products for different markets (and carriers)

but it's not like fact have an relevance in these discussions, right?

2. aj87

Ok so slightly out.

Still I bet the 4" screen looks more like the S2's than the tall phone's 4" screen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Why the need to compare it to the iPhone 5? Like the iPhone 5 was the first 4" device. Apple have only just realised the trend and like for larger screens. Samsung's already been and done 4".

Let me try a new headline for you. "Samsung says 'yes' to Galaxy S II sized Galaxy S III.""

How else would the Reg Hacks stir up the pot?

I wouldn't worry, iPhone and its hype is as old as its followers beliefs

3. Toxteth O'Gravy
      Thumb Down

You clearly know bugger all about headline writing...

3. The BigYin

Oh, interesting

I was thinking about getting an SIII, but it's ludicrous size was putting me off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, interesting

I haven't noticed "it's(sic) ludicrous size", I actually find mine a lot more handy to use than my old first gen HTC desire. There is an "OMG enormous phone" meme going, but the first person I know who got one is tiny, female and Japanese, and it was her thorough recommendation that persuaded me, oddly.

However, choice is good- so I am glad that they are making a smaller one for people who like that sort of thing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It does not feel big at all - its design fits the had easily and is comfortable to hold even for long periods. As to fitting in a pocket no problem there either.

1. Greg J Preece

Mine does feel a bit oversized to me. It's very light and slim, so pocketing it is no problem, but while that screen is g-g-g-gorgeous, it's a little big for using one-handed like I used to with my previous S2, so an S2-sized S3 sounds great to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"it's a little big for using one-handed"

mmm, some content requires single handed viewing.

3. The BigYin

Excuse me, I am going to take myself to one side and punch myself for the apostrophe abuse.

1. Bored_Stupid

+1 for the "S3 doesn't feel too big to me" camp.

Perfectly comfortable for one-handed use and fits in my pocket just fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Which pocket? Unless you sport builder's bum with the crotch of the trousers somewhere around your knees or the legs festooned with fake map pockets, I assume not a trouser pocket, or do you mean your handbag? More active people, e.g. walkers, runners, cyclists and even those wearing clothes that fit tend not to have such large pockets and want to be able to move without the risk of bending their mobile phones every time they sit down or take a stride.. Of course, you could be a permanent jacket wearer or perhaps so addicted it's always in your vast hand. People used to grin at the size of a blackberry telephone for non-business users..

Do n't confuse your sartorial tastes or large hands with those of others. As for the tiny woman mentione above, no doubt she carries a handbag, so she could use an iPad all the time.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Excuse me, I am going to take myself to one side and punch myself for the apostrophe abuse."

..and I shall do the same, for being enough of a git to point it out.

4. IT veteran
      Happy

My girlfriend loves her Galaxy S III: she used to have a N8, and finds the larger screen allows her to surf the internet now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Couldn't she surf the Internet before or is it so huge now she can jump on it at Hang Ten down at the local beach while using rubberisation as bumpers on the rocky shore of mediocrity?

4. Gary Riches

Whilst the phone is not for me I do think it's a lovely phone, but was far too large. This should be an excellent device all round now

5. Antidisestablishmentarianist
    Thumb Up

It's a start

Well thank fucking god someone has come to their senses here. All this bigger and bigger screen nonsense was for one reason. When you're all running the same OS (Android) the only way to differentiate is size, and unfortunately all the manufacturers went all Texan on us. Sure there are some poor people out there with fat fingers, or descended from german blacksmiths, or just have penchant for clothes with large pockets and the oddly resulting bulges. But surely once all those people are satisfied the rest of humanity will realise what a twat they look with a phablet up against their face. For those about to suggest a bluetooth headset to avoid that, you've already failed - sorry. And don't get me started on holsters :rolleyes: lest I take the mick out of all the wannabe cowboys out there and their desire to have something locked and loaded on their hip. Or their arse and gut are just too big to actually get _anything_ in their pockets bigger than a dime.

So lets see some REAL innovation. Go small - cram all your goodness into something smaller and lighter and longer lasting. Going big is just too easy. Sorry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a start

Agreed: I think the Sony Xperia Mini (Pro) is a fantastic bit of hardware! Just a shame the OS it runs isn't up to the same standard :-(

1. FartingHippo

Meh. Trends. They go one way, then another.

Remeber in the early noughties, when there was a race to make smaller and smaller handsets? At one point they became difficult to use unless you had spindly fingers (the Nokia 8210 was about 40mm wide I think), and the call quality deteriorated because the mic was closer to your earlobe than your mouth.

The trend for Dom Jolly devices will peak (having gone too far) and will settle at a more sensible level, IMHO.

1. FartingHippo
          Boffin

The 8201 was actually 44mm wide, it seems.

And while we are on the topic of Nokia: what the f*ck were they thinking when they did this.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's called innovation, something that appears to have been lost recently.

Okay, it was the wrong sort of idea but at least they tried.

Lets not forget that Nokia's attempts were some of the first smartphones around in popular use (IBM was the first, but I don't remember ever seeing one).

Released in 1996. It would play wav ringtones and notifications. Plus you could send/receive faxes on the move, which was pretty useful at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_9000_Communicator

2. Kevin Fairhurst
            WTF?

I see your Nokia 7600 and raise you the Nokia 7280 Lipstick Phone!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_7280

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

How about a phone that looks like it was designed by the Predator film folks ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_SX1

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"And while we are on the topic of Nokia: what the f*ck were they thinking when they did this."

They were Thinking Different I should imagine. Like, creating Magical and Revolutionary..... ummmmm, things.

Saw a hipster using one on a shuttle bus in city once. Actually looked like a lot of fun.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'And while we are on the topic of Nokia: what the f*ck were they thinking when they did this.'

Wow! That's even more WTF than the 3650 with the circular keypad which I thought represented the apogee of magic nose dust design.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Yeah, I remember my mate getting that 3650... WTF indeed. back in the day when he was always the first to get new phones. He was also the first person in my home town to lose in a pub a camera-phone containing nudey pics of his girlfriend....

5. Steve I
            Pint

Nokia 7600 - apparently designed by the same bloke who did the rear window of the Ford Anglia and in the same cicumstances i.e. after a Friday lunchtime session in the local.

1. FartingHippo
              Coat

So, a lot of craaazy looking phones, once upon a time.

You know film of all the insane things people did when trying to build a plane, the one with the bed with a bouncing umbrella, and the creation with 10 stacked wings that collapses while taxiing? This is like that, but with phones.

2. Nev
        Thumb Up

Nothing on the market to replace my 'Mini Pro .

So I'm sticking with it.

C'mon Samsung: 3.5" screen and a slide-away keyboard, please....

1. Greg J Preece

C'mon Samsung: 3.5" screen and a slide-away keyboard, please....

THIS

Also, can it run a proper version of Linux?

2. Danny 14
          Go

wife has an xperia mini pro, I have a galaxy S2. I like the keyboard on the pro (she had a GW610 before that which had an even better keyboard but shit performance). I find the screen a little too small (on the pro) for my liking and it could do with being a little more spritely - she wont let me root/mod it to put a proper firmware on there. The S2 screen is perfect for me but too large for her.

I agree though, a 4" S3 with a keyboard would be mint.

3. David Beck

Same here. The ICS upgrade just gave it another couple years life, time for the "trend" in wall sized phones to die off. I'm waiting for a decent watch to drop below 40mm too, living with a 36mm Oris but may have to spring for a 15 year old Omega as an upgrade.

3. David Beck

It runs ICS, what's the problem? The old model, X10 Mini, with a 2.5" screen was even smaller but did run an old version of Android and not upgradable (128mb of RAM) so not so good.

2. GregC

Easy tiger...

You do realise that some people actually prefer the big phones? I'm not one of them, but the sales of the Note would indicate there are quite a few.

Personally they've gone too far the other way with this new handset, 4.3 in (ie the same as the S2) would have been my preference, size wise I find the S2 just about spot on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy tiger...

They're called nerds, someone could actually remove the phone part of the phone leaving it as a portable internet device and they wouldn't even notice.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy tiger...

Some people also like rogering with a huge black rubbery object, but I'm not one of them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly right, there's no innovation in just producing a bigger phone. The increased size makes fitting loads of stuff (including bigger battery) inside really easy.

The biggest joke is how the Galaxy Note doesn't even bother to increase the screen resolution even though it is bigger than every other phone around.

1. Peter 48
        Stop

why should it need to increase the resolution? 1280x720 is more than enough for a screen of that size. Whilst 1920x1080 screens are available it wouldn't actually add any benefits. It wouldn't be any noticeably sharper and would need a much more powerful graphics processor to cope with the increased resolution. This whole drive to ever-increasing resolutions is pointless once you go past a certain point.

6. Monty Burns

Agree with aj87... why the iPhone 5!?

Why compare to the iPhone 5 screen size? Oh wait, do they now have a patent for 4" screens??? I guess Apple invented 4" screens, right?

I have to be honest, I think the S3 (I have one) is a little too big. Having owned it I now think that I should have made one of 2 choices; 1 - either get a Galaxy Note (if large size is important) and do it properly or 2; chosen something a little smaller (Obviously didn't know about a 4" S3 coming out).

As long as the device is identical then a 4" would be my preferred choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Agree with aj87... why the iPhone 5!?

Samsng hasn't gone down in smartphone screen size until now, but surely the timing is purely coincidental.

2. Monkey

Because it doesn't have the same attention grabbing value.

'Samsung to make a smaller version of the S3'

or

'Samsung making a handset THE SAME size as the new iPhone'

Do the math.....

1. 4.1.3_U1

'Samsung making a handset THE SAME size as the new iPhone'

Wow, maybe this could be the makings of some kind of massive Apple / Samsung legal dispute - I'll try and sell this idea to a few legal experts.

7. Frederick Tennant

Think for yourself naughty Samsung

Samsung s phone, was everything which Apple was not, Apple did not build the massive screen for a reason, this action just confirms that our fruit company understands its customers. Samsung understands its competition, before Apple it was Rim.

So nothing new here.

1. Afflicted.John
      Flame

Re: Think for yourself naughty Samsung

Utter drivel. If Apple understood the customer so well then please explain why

a) The iPhone 5 has a screen size increase now, and

b) The millions of 4+ inch Androids that have been sold the world over.

Samsung is clearly hedging their bets by negating the "I don't want a big screen" punter argument, but don't for one second think there is no market for larger phones. That would imbecilic.

2. Zolko Silver badge
      IT Angle

Galaxy Y

My kid just got a Samsung Galaxy Y: 3'' QVGA screen, Android 2.3. Of course, it's too small for big hands, but for occasional SMS-ing, music and photos, and call the Mum when he gets home, it's the obvious choice.

Why the heck didn't Apple do with the iPhone what they did with the iPod: do a mini-iPhone (3''), an iPhone (4'') and an iNewton (5'' with stylus).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Think for yourself naughty Samsung

"this action just confirms that our fruit company understands its customers"

Except for those that were complaining the iPhone 5's screen is in fact too small? Samsung are offering a choice to it's customers, that's is a good thing. Who knows, with Apple bringing an iPad Mini to the table, they may be realising this too and might say 'yes' to an SIII sized iPhone 5.

8. b166er

They should just refresh the SGS2 with the SGS3's hardware (except the screen of course)

I really love my SGS2, I can't imagine a better design. Perhaps the inclusion of a status LED

If they do put the guts of an SGS3 in an SGS2, it might even convince me to upgrade when my contract permits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@b166er

"Perhaps the inclusion of a status LED"

Try the NoLED app - might do what you want.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@b166er

I just wonder if SS are working on that right now....

9. robert_raw

Yey, hope it comes out in the UK, i have been looking for a top end 4" Android phone to replace my SGS i9000. the 4" form is perfect for me. Only thing that lets my phone down is that it is getting a little slow.

I was even considering Iphone. Now I can potentially have an amazing 4" phone without breaking the bank.

10. eSeM

4" ....

.... exactly like the Samsung Nexus S.

An updated Nexus S, now that would be very nice :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4" ....

I was thinking that, the Galaxy Nexus (4.6") is too big. I don't really want to go over 4" on a phone.

11. Steve I
    Facepalm

Just stupid.

4.8" is too big and 4" too small.

I've measured my hand and 4.37" is the best size of phone. Why, oh why, oh why won't manufacturers realise this?

1. mrfill
      Paris Hilton

Re: Just stupid.

Is it because the manufacturers realise that your hand is not the only one that will use their phones?

It must be quite tricky for them when one maker gets slammed for only having one size of phone and another gets slammed for having a choice? Samsung must be gutted that they lost a sale because the S2 screen is 0.07" too small for you. Its all beginning to sound like Goldilocks...

Ooh this phone is just a bit too big.... now this phone is a bit too small... oh this phone is just about right. So Goldilocks then rings her Grandma but because she is in a bear's cottage out in the country, there's no bloody signal anyway.

Paris because she needs a lot more than 4 inches.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Just stupid.

Sarcasm detection fail me thinks..

2. Steve I

Are you implying that other people have different needs to me, and that if they do they're not automatically retarted morons, with either more money than sense or are tight-arsed Lidl-shoppers?

Hmmm, can't see it myself...

2. David Paul Morgan
      Go

Re: Just stupid. FYI:

Xperia T is 4,6in

Xperia S is 4,3in

and great camera/media functions.

I want the T...

1. b166er

Yes but it's made by Sony, only bad things can happen.

Get a Samsung.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Xperia P is 4". Fits in the pocket fine. A touch too small to want to watch a movie on it, but fine for getting your latest fix of The Thick Of It on iPlayer. Even very small text is readable (minimising zoom/pan web browsing) though long-sighted people might want to look elsewhere. Thumb easily reaches most of the screen. ICS update has improved the battery life considerably the RegHardware review. Micro HDMI cable included in the box (but has now disappeared, presumably shacked up in the snakes' nest of other cables). Very bright screen (though do put a one-touch toggle short-cut on your home-screen, because it canes the battery). Doesn't have a quad-core processor, but I haven't found it slow (I don't know what these quad-cores and tegras are used for...)

I'm a geek and I can't think of anything else I might want it to do. Anything more ambitious would be better done on a 7" tablet or small notebook. Would appreciate a Reg Review of (small) Bluetooth keyboards though, ta.

I would prefer it to have real 'clicky' buttons than capacitive ones (too easy to accidentally press, but really only an issue in games), and the anodised aluminium case can be a bit slippery in the hand (easily fixed with some self-adhesive nylon textile I had kicking around).

Included earphones sound decent enough and are comfy (if you don't mind 'in the ear' types) but are fragile- one cable pulled right out of the microphone.

No annoying cover to the microUSB port (a plus, in my book).

Whilst a bigger screen is all fine and dandy, I'm a clumsy bugger and a bigger screen is easier to break if dropped (it presents a larger target for some bit of grit to act as a stress-riser).

1. Paceman

I'm being hopeful and waiting to see of the Xperia V gets released in the UK. Same spec as Xperia T, but 4.3" screen (same resolution) and water/dust resistant. Perfect...

Bet it never makes it though!

3. The Baron
      Coat

> I've measured my hand and 4.37" is the best size of phone. Why, oh why, oh why won't manufacturers realise this?

As mass-produced smartphones move from being status symbols to mere commodities, and as British politicians bemoan the lack of high-tech innovation in this country, surely the time has come for Savile Row to branch out from bespoke tailoring and begin producing bespoke mobiles specifically crafted to the shape and size of individual customers' hands?

"4.37 inch visual aperture, sir? Centre charging vent? Notched stereophonic acoustic interface? Volume rocker dressed to the right? Oooh, suit you, sir!"

Admittedly the fabrication costs might be a little high, but hey...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4.8" is too big and 4" too small.

Luckily God has you covered with what he endowed you with.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone has JUST caught up with the competition!

So why bother even thinking about it, pssssh!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to Engadget this is the 4" S3 phone :

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/10/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-mini/

The specs are nothing like the big brother S3 though. Specs have been compromised by it size.

14. Alan Watson

The obvious comparison for a 4" Samsung would be the Nexus S rather than the iP5. But 4" is just the new budget-to-midrange size right now: HTC started selling the 4" Desire X this week, for example, though sounds like Sammy are claiming this one will be higher spec (not yet checked that Engadget link).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Target audience...

"but the first person I know who got one is tiny, female and Japanese".

Yup, exactly the target audience for these huge phones, women who carry them around in handbags rather than in their pockets. Sorry but any man who carrys an S3 is looking for folk to ask him if thats a phone in his pocket.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Target audience...

my S3 when in pocket, just evens up the profile ;-)

16. Wake up befor you sleep thru windows last crash...
    Facepalm

Copy, copy, copy…. LOL

Do they make copiers, too? Could be a growth area for shamstung...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Copy, copy, copy…. LOL

Suckered by the headline?

Samsung Nexus S - 4" screen, released December 2010. So one could argue that Apple are copying, however that would be ludicrous.

1. aj87
        Facepalm

Re: Copy, copy, copy…. LOL

This is exactly why I ripped the headline, pure nonsense for people who think Samsung copy Apple on everything.

Neglecting that Apple only just caught up with the larger screen idea they only make one version of the iPhone so they can't go any larger, instead they try to make everyone believe 4" is perfect, because of course everyone's hands are the same size. Of course 3.5" used to be perfect, Gizmodo has two articles, one on why 3.5" was perfect and one on why Apple would never put a 16:9 ratio on the thing. Both now forgotten of course.

17. Dexter
    Coat

Am I the only person left on the planet who uses a mobile phone for making phone calls and talking to people, rather than texting, surfing the web, using twitter and facebook?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, just the only serial killer. Although I don't think the reader-base of El'Reg make for a very unbiased group. We're mostly nerds.

Personally I much prefer IM over voice because I don't have to drop what I'm doing and react immediately when someone says something. I can finish the function I'm writing and then respond etc.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been working on a couple of devices

Just over 4" and a 5", and I prefer the 5. Really nice bit of kit. Large, but very usable running JB.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like