back to article Lenovo unfolds smaller Yoga tablet-laptop hybrid

Lenovo has announced an 11in version of its still-to-ship Yoga tablet-laptop hybrid. Part of the IdeaPad line-up, Yoga is so named because the hinge on its clamshell casing allows the screen not merely to be lifted up from the keyboard and folded flat against the desk but can be pushed further round to form a tablet. Lenovo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fuzz

too big

11.6" is too big for a useful tablet, 13" is crazy

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: too big

13" might be too big for us non he-men to hold in one hand, but the form-factor still has benefits even if the device is still sat on a desk, in the manner shown in the article's image. It allows the screen to be closer to the user, not only only benefiting the experience of watching movies, but making touch-screen interaction less tiring.

Even if you wish to use it as a conventional PC, having the built-in keyboard folded around back allows you more room to use a wireless keyboard and mouse, thus allowing you to improve the ergonomics at your desk (the screen and keyboard position can be adjusted independently, there's more room for your mouse)

The device can also be used casually on ones lap on the sofa (to quickly check TV listings, for example) without danger of the screen tipping back and the whole lot falling on the carpet.

Like I said, I like this form factor, if only because it gives the user some more options with very little compromise over an existing laptop design (they've put a bit more work into the hinges, and presumably installed the means to disable the keyboard in certain situations... that's it.) It offers a fair bit if benefit for very little cost.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

I do like the idea of this form factor.

I'm assuming that the Tegra 3 model is Win8-RT and the i7 model is full fat Win8... though the article is a little ambiguous - does the i7 model really only come with 2GB RAM?

3. h4rm0ny

I'd like it to be lighter, but this is a strong candidate for me to buy simply because the Surface Pro wont be out for months. I've held off buying a new device for long enough. I don't have the patience to wait much longer.

4. A J Stiles
    Linux

"Both models will run Windows 8, of course."

Not for long if I buy one, it won't.

How long before the ambulance-chasing lawyers with their fetish for mis-sold endowment mortgages and Payment Protection Insurance start picking up on mis-sold computer software?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Both models will run Windows 8, of course."

It's a conspiracy, a conspiracy, everyone is out to get me!

1. N13L5
        FAIL

The Reg should know better than to write a willy nilly statement like that... Some people might not automatically catch the fact, that this version, running on a Tegra will only run Windows RT.

So this device qualifies as a WART and you can't run any of your existing software on it.

Nor can you download any free or open source software you might want to run - only Microfoist's 'trying-to-be-like-Crapple' Appstore stuff...

Yep, slowly turning windows into a fenced ghetto - don't hope that the media will save consumers from misinformation or corporate abuse of any kind.

1. Jim Coleman
          Meh

"So...you can't run any of your existing software on it. Nor can you download any free or open source software you might want to run"

So, just like an iPad then, only better.

5. LordWilmore
    Unhappy

Uuuugh *shivers*

I can only imagine the detritus that would fall out all over my lap after using this thing as a laptop for a month and then folding it keyboard-down on my lap. I'm in the seventh circle now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uuuugh *shivers*

You're in the seventh circle now, I used to be in purgatory (a call centre). Turning those keyboards upside down was never nice!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Turning those keyboards upside down was always nice!

I bet! whenever you got hungry cause they made you skip lunch,

just turn over the keyboard over an old cup-o-noodles,

add hot water and you have a yummy and highly nutritious soup .

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is a call for a tablet this big

Simole, if you use it for reading documents, e.g. Manuals in PDF form that don't have any kind of flow then when you get them on soemthing like an iPAd the font is a bit small.

You need something approaching a magazine size to read properly, especially if you are getting old and decrepit

7. Matt_payne666

£687 for a 13" i7 based laptop? thats not bad... oh and its got a touch screen too?? I actually think the price is about right and if this is part of the think business lineup, then the pricing is crazy cheap even if £687 is ex vat

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

The Inquirer says the 13 inch one is £999.

...less tasty. But I may be in the market for something like this. I'm loaded, and I'm very unhappy with my Dell Latitude ST.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like