back to article Apple Maps too good for Taiwanese military

Apple’s much-derided maps app which caused widespread user consternation when it effectively replaced Google Maps in the latest version of iOS, has come under fire yet again, but this time for being too accurate. The Taiwanese government has formally requested that Cupertino uses only low-res satellite images when detailing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. solidsoup
    Happy

Second island

Just ask Apple to add second Taiwan to the map with caption Chinese Taipei. After all, they did it for Japan. Problem solved. You're welcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Might as well

Come to where I live in the UK, if they set up here no one will find them as we are no longer on the map and the nearest town has been misplaced 42 miles away.

The only problem I can see is that they would probably never get here if they used Apple Maps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Might as well

We already have one of these in the UK. A UK company that was selling vanity satellite prints your backgarden would sell you a pic of ours.

Google images is an easier way to find pics of the Taiwanese one:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?119827-Taiwanese-Military-Thread-Army-Navy-Air-Force-Marines-and-others&s=b02f86728f88ca0bb4ac16927cc3b822&p=5866946&viewfull=1#post5866946

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who'd they buy the satellite images from the KGB???

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can Apple Maps actually find Taiwan though?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only it knows where Taiwan is, it's much better at giving driving directions while there:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/10/iphone-5-turn-by-turn-navigation-vs-android-vs-automaker.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not only it knows where Taiwan is, it's much better at giving driving directions while there:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/10/iphone-5-turn-by-turn-navigation-vs-android-vs-automaker.html"

I hate militant lesbians, sorry, iPhone lovers!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

'Can Apple Maps actually find Taiwan though?'

It can - you just have to search for Iceland.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do they really think that China's intelligence is less than some commercial Maps imagery.

Get real... If Apple's map photo's have it, The Chinese will have photographed it themselves as well and probably with much more detail..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do they really think that China's intelligence is less than some commercial Maps imagery.

I suspect China has operatives in the facility...

But in any case if China decides to take it back, then they will...

4. JaitcH
    Happy

Burred satellite pix pointless ...

as high resolution pictures can be bought, as Apple did, from sources on both sides of the former Iron Curtain.

I've seen pix of the armed White House roof floating around, as well as some high res of the UK which were subsequently knocked down in detail.

The Greeks still have laws that make it an offence for Foreigners to possess detailed maps of the country, introduced decades ago, yet there is a Greek publishing house selling pictures of most anything Hellenic. I located it by following the Copyright notice.

If anyone wants a high res picture of the Island of Kithnos, in the Milos island chain ....

1. Casca Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Burred satellite pix pointless ...

Do they have a high res picture of the island of Navarone?

1. James Micallef Silver badge
        Coat

screw Navarone...

...do they have high-res pics of the island of Lesbos?

2. JassMan
        FAIL

Re: (Casca) Burred satellite pix pointless ...

You do know that that Navarone is actually a fictitious isalnd and as such does not appear on maps except to detect copyright infraction? Any "satelite image" could only be an artists impression.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

So everyone seems to believe that the Tawainese would make this request openly to the media, thus ensuring everyone and their dog knew where the secret location was and what it was about - before it was removed from view?

6. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

Infamous fruit

One bad apple after another..

Its a bit strange that the Taiwanese military are worried about an army sporting the latest iphones though.

7. tkioz
    FAIL

Well Duh!

This is exactly what happens when you rush development in order to get a product out for stupid reasons (in this case a hissy fit over Google Maps)... ask any developer and they'll tell you the same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Double Duh

So you think the Taiwanese did not make the same request the to Google? Google somehow guessed that the Taiwanese would have this secret location and blurred it all by themselves?

I know it's early in the day, but come on... Get a coffee or two into that bloodstream.

1. tkioz
        FAIL

Re: Double Duh

Chances are, my dear Apple Fanboi, that since Google spent far more time working on their project rather then banging it out like trained monkeys that they had far more time to avoid pratfalls like this, either by letting government approach them or approaching the governments themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Double Duh

Google approaching governments in advance? Bahahaahahaha..

Ask Germany about their experience with StreetView.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

double bluff?

1. Taiwan: 'oh nos - all our secret belong to iphone'

2. China issue iPhones to all military planners.

3. Productivity and effectiveness of Chinese military decimated.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: double bluff?

At least they won't be riddled with malware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They don't need malware, they are malware.

2. Andrew Moore

they will, it's called IOS6

2. dullboy
      FAIL

"Can you see the target?"

"No, please unapply all Instagram filters now!"

9. SuperTim

10 storey concrete radar!

Blurring it from apple maps will not stop it being really obvious and already all over t'interwebs...

10. Ray Mills

Taiwan should not worry

Any sensitive sites would probably turn out to be the missing Sidney apple store.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

patents

I hope google owns some patents on applying bluring to satelite images to be viewed on mobile devices :) suspect they dont though.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"high-profile single man prison"

Who's the prisoner??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "high-profile single man prison"

All I can say is that Turkey must be an incredibly desirable place to live, given a crime rate low enough to allow a 1:1 ratio between prisoners and prisons!

2. Crisp

Number 6.

3. Throatwobbler Mangrove

No, no, you misunderstand, it's a prison for unmarried men. If they're married, they get sent to the married man prison.

(Okay, then, Abdullah Ocalan is the prisoner).

13. JimboSmith Silver badge
    Mushroom

Google and Bing have blurred/blocked something else

So with all this secrecy around you have to wonder what's under the green blur on Google that affects a part of Russia close to the Bering Straits. You can see the blur here :

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ftid=0x59f78f69ab39b585:0x5fc26c2ebfa92b76&q=66.26658,179.216423&ved=0CA0Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=PU51UMPeFsPg8APiqYDoBw

So then we look at Bing and discover that it is also hidden here too but someone with more expertise in Photoshop has been copying and pasting not with getting heavy with the blur tool.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=HDRSC4#JnE9LjY2JTI1NDAyMjY2NTglMjUyYzE3OSUyNTQwMjIxNjQyMyU3ZXNzdC4wJTdlcGcuMSZiYj01My4xMDc0Nzg1MjA4NTg0JTdlMTQuMzI1MDk3NTYwMjUlN2U0NC4yMjk3NjkwOTIxNiU3ZS05LjYyNTA5Nzc1MjI1

Have a look at the small lake closest to the pin and then look down and right you'll see where they've copied it from to do the cover up.

It's actually an old Russian missile complex but then that's hardly a secret anymore, and all what I've written above + pictures of the complex can be found here:

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/Russian_Bases_ICBM_Site_Chukotka.html

14. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

I compared the sat photos on my house on iOS6 and Android maps last night

The Apple pictures are newer, but much blurrier. Perhaps my street contains a secret Taiwanese missile bunker.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like