back to article Microsoft fast-tracks Windows 8 Service Pack updates

Microsoft has broken with tradition on a new version of Windows by rushing out changes to the Release To Manufacturing (RTM) code on people’s PCs. Early recipients of Windows 8 are getting updates made by Microsoft to the client code in the months since its release to partners on 1 August. Changes include extended battery …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That'll please them. Both of them

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Strangely worded title

This is not a Service Pack why is it being annonced as such, this is just some normal updates.

Quote Sinofsky "to deliver these “post-RTM” updates sooner than a service pack"......

Service Packs, at least for me, will include minor/major functionality that was not included in the original release. ( Yes, it will also inlcude the standard run of the mill updates as well).

Shit, the way this was annonced by El Reg I was hoping that there would have an alternative option to TIFKAM getting released. ( And not third party alternatives)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strangely worded title

MS have stopped adding new features in service packs, they are just updates bundled together.

1. Test Man
        Stop

MS never really added major new features in Service Packs anyway, that was only XP Service Pack 2 that did that.

1. Irongut

Win95 SP2 added some major new features. Win98's service pack was so huge they called it WIn98 Second Edition. And IIRC the service packs for NT4 all added new features as well as fixes.

1. Test Man
            FAIL

There was no Windows 95 SP2. There was an OSR 1 and 2 (OEM Service Releas) version, which was a new version of Windows 95 that was only available to OEMs and couldn't be applied to Windows 95.

Windows 98 didn't have a service pack either, but there was a "Second Edition" which was a whole new OS, but essentially similar to Windows 98. This is not a service pack in the same way Windows Server 2008 R2 isn't a service pack for Windows Server 2008.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Windows server 2008 was the server version of Vista, and Windows Server 2008 R8 was the server version of Windows 7. Apart from the new task bar, they were both incremental upgrades that sorted out the problems in Vista.

3. plrndl
    Linux

"By removing the need to install a SP" they are probably shooting themselves in the foot. Many knowledgeable users, particularly business users, see the first service pack as a sign that the new release may finally be ready for prime time. That they are issuing updates before the official release, merely confirms Intel's statement that the OS is not finished. This will not cause a rush-to-buy on launch day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Every single Linux install I've done - even on the first release day of a particular version - has had updates to install from the Internet. This is no different, why would MS stop working on W8 between the RTM and the commercial release? Especially considering there are Technet users actively running the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Err...

Big difference, you pay for MS stuff.

1. bobbles31

So by the power of your money they should stop working because they have shipped code to a DVD printers?

1. Matt_payne666

I installed OSX 10.6.something the other day, on finishing an install it needed another gig of updates...

Microsoft is just more open about updating its offerings...

2. RICHTO
          Mushroom

You pay more for Linux stuff than Windows unless your time is free and you don't require proper support....

1. revdjenk
            Facepalm

Re: Err...error RICHTO error

My second laptop I ever owned came without a Microsoft cd/dvd install disk. I wanted to install a feature that is found on such a disk, but when I called Microsoft, they said, "that is up to the manufacturer." On calling the manufacturer, they said, "Microsoft won't let us send out the cd version since we gave you the hard drive installed version."

So much for paid-for support?

This, and other issues, led me to re-format and install Linux soon after. Happy, happy!

1. revdjenk
              Alert

'paid-for' should be 'proper'

2. RICHTO
              Mushroom

They lied. They don't sent a disk to save money - nothing to do with Microsoft.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Time is free. If someone else is charging you for their time, you got done. ;)

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

"Time is free. If someone else is charging you for their time, you got done. ;)"

So you work for nothing? Very generous. I prefer getting paid.

Time is free in the galactic sense, possibly, however, my time is a finite resource (if only by virtue of my life expectancy). Like any finite resource, it has a value, that being defined by the skills required and how rare those skills are in the market - e.g. plenty of people can sweep floors, less can code an OS, hence the latter gets paid more.

Are we learning something yet?

1. RICHTO
                Mushroom

Quite my point - Linux generally takes more time / effort to manage - with the exception of web servers - there are plenty of TCO studies on the subject.

Linux also costs more to license if you want an enterprise version with proper support.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Test Man
    FAIL

This article is a weird one. I'm sure that with all versions of Windows since 2000 (in escalating frequency with the later-released OSes) they've released updates after RTM and before the general release. Windows 8 is no different.

There's no statement or anything from Microsoft that indicates that there'll be no service pack schedule, as usual.

Therefore, this article reads like it's clutching at straws.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd be happy with a fix

that stops the soft keyboard doing an effective ctrl lock, or at least a way of turning it off once it bizarrely gets there.

1. kain preacher

Re: I'd be happy with a fix

Win 7 started doing that to me.

6. Anonymous Custard

So their way of getting around the old business "wait until SP1 before even looking at it" viewpoint is to issue the service pack before they've fully released the main product?

7. Ilsa Loving
    Meh

Third Paragraph from the bottom

I think that paragraph pretty much sums up the whole affair. Vista was considered a write off, and even the service pack couldn't repair the overwhelmingly negative reputation of the OS.

It sounds to me like they found some major issues in Windows 8, and they desperately want to avoid developing a reputation of "Microsoft is stuck in the past because every time they try something new, they screw it up completely." Which is pretty much what they are developing now, when you consider the reception they recieved from Vista, Zune, and their entire Windows CE/Mobile/Phone/NewNameOfTheMonth line.

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

Re: Third Paragraph from the bottom

Nah, they haven't found any major issues. Every version of Windows since XP (and probably 2000) has had updates between RTM and general release. This is no different and is NOT a service pack.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Third Paragraph from the bottom

The major issue with Windows 8 is the UI, which might make sense on a tablet, but definitely doesn't

work for traditional keyboard/mouse work. Their updates do nothing about that. Under the hood, it seems like a pretty decent OS.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

twenty dolla

Sinofsky said: “By developing better test automation and test coverage tools we are happy to say that Windows 8 will be totally up to date for all customers starting at general availability.”

Fucker ain't answered one question.

1. ya goin to put a switch in for touch vs desktops?

2. what about that start button?

3. what about the shitty themes?

I say they need more than a service pack, and $20 is all this "upgrade" (cough) is worth.

XP until 2050 bitchez

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: twenty dolla

3. what about the shitty themes?

that is every version of windows. theme hell patching uxtheme.dll we should have all nipped this microsoft crap in the bud fucking years ago!!

Pay back and blow back is goin to be a bitch.

2. durbans
      Facepalm

All your very intelligent questions have been answered a million times over. I remember when I was 5 years old and thought that if I asked for something enough I would get it. Then I grew up. But just to get the point across...

1. No, the entire OS has been designed to not require said switch.

2. It's in the bottom right corner of your screen. It's called a mouse-over button. That means it appears when you mouse over it.

3. That is purely subjective. I quite like them. If you don't, go download some others. Or use a different OS. Nobody cares what you do in the end.

1. durbans
        FAIL

EDIT: 2. It's in the bottom *LEFT* corner of your screen

My mistake.

2. Rob G.
        Facepalm

Wow you're a real condescending user of an OS that was built for the lowest common denominator (e.g. people like you). The truth is that this OS is not nearly ready for prime time whether you use a tablet or a desktop, since they basically delivered a half finished UI for both sides of the coin. Besides there were users like you who said the first release of Vista was fine but we all knew how wrong that assessment was. If more and more users start talking about Metro or whatever the hell Microsoft calls their Win 8 UI this week, the more likely it is that they will listen to us and give us something that is usable and productive for PC users of all types. However, if Microsoft keeps buying into their own hubris then they really will give up more ground to Linux and Mac OS which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it would be sad in a way since they really seemed to have "Jumped the Shark" so to speak as far as each an every OS that they release.

So here's to you Mr. Windows 8 User, your poor choice of OS is almost as poor as your opinions about the complaints of others pleading for a better OS.

9. Fuzz

update instructions

I see the update instructions tell you to go to "install optional updates" to install the update. For those who haven't used Windows 8, the install optional updates shortcut takes you to the desktop windows vista/7 style updates application. There is also a metro style update app which doesn't seem to be recommended by Microsoft.

I guess this is similar to any instructions from Microsoft dealing with the control panel in XP, the next instruction after opening the control panel is always "click the link to switch to classic view"

10. Martin 63
    WTF?

Why rush ?

I dont feel a need to upgrade right now. Vista > 7 trashed my red boxed films, and blue boxed are patchy now. That was Cyberlinks problem, but an obvious choice for picking on. Update your OS and it costs!

Windows 7 seems to trundle along quite happily, as did Vista.I dont see the point in paying again.

11. Reboot_IT

"that stops the soft keyboard doing an effective ctrl lock, or at least a way of turning it off once it bizarrely gets there."

Tap the Ctrl key like mad... That usually stops it :-)

Won't read that in an MS KB.

12. nuked
    Alien

In other words they've found a gaping great chasm of a security hole and have no choice but to patch it before the planned SP release.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*quote....

so Microsoft will want to avoid a repeat of the Windows Vista experience - where genuine technical problems combined with chatter on the subject helped categorise Windows Vista a failure before it was even launched.

Sorry too late.

14. PeterM42
    WTF?

It's not THAT new...

"Windows 8" is actually NT 6.2

"Windows 7" was NT 6.1

"Vista" was NT 6.0 - which was radically different which is why it was so problematic and needed "Windows 7"(NT 6.1) as a major (and very successful) bug-fix.

NEVER buy version anything-dot-zero from Microsoft - we learn't that one years ago.

Add Start8 to get your Start button back and "Windows 8" could be useable with keyboard and mouse on a PC. The touch interface on a tablet or smartphone hopefully will develop over time.

1. rich0d
      Thumb Up

Re: It's not THAT new...

"Add Start8 to get your Start button back and "Windows 8" could be useable with keyboard and mouse on a PC. The touch interface on a tablet or smartphone hopefully will develop over time."

I agree - I installed 8 over the weekend, with the addition of Start8 - it's a bloody good OS, and I actually prefer it over anything I've used prior. The updates to explorer (tickboxes, yay!) and "enterprise" grade virtualmalization is pretty awesome, another cool thing which I've been wanting natively for ages... a task bar for BOTH MONITORS. Still early days, but so far, so good.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like