back to article Google AND Yahoo! hijacked in Ireland after domain namespace grab

Google and Yahoo!'s Irish domains were briefly hijacked on Tuesday afternoon, the IE Domain Registry (IEDR) has confirmed. Fraud officers from the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation are said to be investigating how malefactors were able to take the websites offline for several hours after mischievously changing both Yahoo.ie …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Miek
    Linux

Heads will roll for that one. Ouch!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unlikely, the problems are from the top down.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26263-iedr-ceo-rejects-security/

2. fran 2
    Trollface

Many in work here phoned my IT desk saying the internet wasn't working, after the 5th call we asked them "had they typed google into google" ( With apologies to the IT crowd)

Well kept us amused anyway

3. phuzz Silver badge
    Stop

I'm surprised they managed to get hold of a .ie domain in the first place, it's bloody difficult to register one unless you are Irish, speak Irish, and preferably have never left Ireland your entire life.

If you happen to be a UK based company with an Irish office then be prepared for days and days of wrangling just to get one .ie address.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But if you are an American company who only pays tax in Ireland on their earnings in the UK you can expect a bit more red-carpet treatment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Trust me, if you actually had to speak Irish to get a .ie registration then very few people even in Ireland would be able to manage it. But this does reinforce the impression of IEDR as an amateur-hour operation - with exceptionally high prices, too, natch.

4. nuked
    Holmes

[ ] human error

[x] something more sinister

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

[x] something more sinister

A secret sinister plot by the Irish intelligence agency to take over Google and !Yahoo! ?

5. Ross K Silver badge
    FAIL

Slow News Day

Someone guessed a domain registrar's password and did a bit of DNS redirection. Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm delighted - it couldn't have happened to a more anal-retentive bunch of dicks. Good work IEDR! NOT.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

What action have the IEDR taken?

"Last night IEDR took all their websites and WHOIS offline. The main IEDR site is still offline and is currently displaying a message about the incident, while the API and WHOIS are running as normal". link

7. Michael 28
    Coat

Hang on....

http://www.doogle.org/

Nuff.said.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...involving two high profile .ie domains

Well, there's an oxymoron for a start.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like