back to article Canada: We'll boot 'security risk' firms from gov network bid race

The Canadian government has said that it will be invoking a "national security exemption" as it hires firms to build a secure network, hinting that Chinese telco Huawei could be excluded. The exemption allows the government to kick out of the running any companies or nations considered a security risk, which coming in the wake …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. dssf

LOL!!!!!

In other words:

"I'm not going to say I'm going to comment before i say: "I’m not going to comment on any one company in particular. I’ll leave it to you if you think Huawei should be a part of the Canadian government security system."""

Heheheehe....

3. kbb

Conspiracy Theory

The American Govt. knew about the Secure Network plans and thought, "How do we ensure a US company gets the gig? How about we announce that those other companies can't be trusted?"

Now where's my EU made tinfoil hat?

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      Unhappy

No Need for a Conspiracy Theory

It's too blatant to explain by a conspiracy. It's just a matter of finding an argument for protectionism that will work in a country that defends liberal economics - any argument is fine, regardless of the BS ratio (which is about 10:1 in this case).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rubbing their hands in glee

I bet the board members back in China are breaking out the bubbly as we speak. The design, manufacture and test the kit regardless of who gets the contract and brands it. With this artificial reduction in competition, they get to more or less dictate their price.

If I were a gambling man, I'd be buying in right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rubbing their hands in glee

Main difference is the bulk of the cash goes to the brand and R&D which will be the Western company.

It's a bit like coffee, Third World nations are welcome to sell raw product to Western companies so they can package and sell their coffee. However if someone in the Third (or Second) World starts making their own brand of coffee it will get taxed out of the Western market.

With Second World nations the theory is as long as you're willing to manufacture western kit it's all well and good, but start selling your own kit then you're out. Just like the third world just with manufactured goods instead of raw materials.

The idea is to keep the money making areas (IP, R&D, brand, government contracts, etc) in the pocket of civilised Western folk.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A fine mix of stupidity, racism and, protectionism.

It's fine that Chinese wage slaves make the stuff as long as the larger cut of the cash goes to the West.

6. despairing citizen
    Big Brother

And all those US chips designed in Israel?

Given where intel's design and manufacture is scattered around, anybody want to put money on mossad, et al. having suborned an employee and had their own back door put in, or mearly documented and failed to report hardware level security weaknesses for a Zero day attack? (i.e.. stuxnet the next generation!)

1. Tom 13

Re: And all those US chips designed in Israel?

I see antisemitism is alive and well in the UK, all the while disparaging rational reasons one might not want dictatorial governments running the companies that are installing hardware.

Frankly, I would expect that if the UK were building out a secure network for their military, that they'd exclude Yanks for the same reason. And have no objection to it.

1. despairing citizen
        FAIL

PRAT

Since when has having one of the most active covert intel agencies on the planet anything to do with reglious beliefs

Would mentioning DGSE make it anti-christian!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why is a discussion involving Mossad automatically an Anti-semetic rant?

Mossad get up to stuff the CIA can only dream of including kidnappings and assassinations.

Do you really think they wouldnt if given the choice?

Of course, this equally applies to the CIA and MI6.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amdocs and Comverse Infosys both have links to the Israeli security services ...

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So instead

The systems and their software will be made in America

Remember this is the 100th anniversary of the War of 1812 when the US attempted to burn down Toronto (a laudable aim) and then got their butts whipped

1. asdf

Re: So instead

Canada loves to mention this but they always fail to mention their big brother the UK being at the peak of its naval strength at this time being the ones that really put the hurt on. Ten years ago I would say our salvation army could whoop Canada but with the time both have spent in Afghanistan there are obviously some badass Canuks (especially snipers) as well.

1. keith_w
        Happy

1. Canada wasnt a country yet

2. There were British Regulars, Canadian Militia and First Nations involved

3. We know perfectly well that others were there, but it was largely the people who lived here that defeated the American invaders both at the Niagara frontier, in Quebec and at Fort Detroit.

We're just happy that it happened.

2. keith_w
      FAIL

200TH

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>200TH

Only the 100th in Canada, things move a little more slowly there

8. Arthur 1

Racism? Really?

I was in the article about the US advising companies not to buy Huawei kit saying that it was ridiculous. And I stand by that.

But this isn't a random company buying parts off the shelf, this contract involves designing, building parts for, physically installing and running a high security network. Not wanting a Chinese company whose government may lean on it responsible for that end-to-end is a little different. It may be a touch paranoid, but calling protectionism isn't entirely right either, there are legitimate concerns in a special case like this. I wouldn't even want a domestic company doing it unless they give the government massive access to their R&D, source code, etc.

As for the guy above calling it racism? That's "how do you not drink the stuff under the sink?" retarded. Yes, clearly the motivation here is that the dominant ethnic group in Canada minus Toronto and Vancouver is different from the dominant ethnic group in China minus Hong Kong.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Racism? Really?

And yet they are happy for Canadian government emails about NAFTA negotiations to be passing through a US server

9. JaitcH
    FAIL

Harper - copy of Cameron with strange American-like accent

This Harper panders to Americans which is why Canada is acting like a mouse, again.

What we need is a new Trudeau, he told the Americans where to go. Unfortunately his sole surviving son is too young to repeat the act. Yet.

So Canada buys overpriced Cisco equipment ... made in China.

1. keith_w

Re: Harper - copy of Cameron with strange American-like accent

he had 3 sons with Margaret and a daughter later.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: Harper - copy of Cameron with strange American-like accent

"he had 3 sons with Margaret and a daughter later."

Cameron shagged Thatcher ! Shit I never knew.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Current buyers like Cisco so

here is a good reason to scaremonger away any questioning of 20x market value con-tract.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like