back to article Microsoft trials Digits finger-sensing bracelet

Microsoft Research has been showing off Digits, an attempt to build a sensor bracelet that can track the movement of fingers, replacing the need for a physical mouse or finger-covering gloves. Microsoft Digits Touchy-feely computing from Microsoft The Digits system uses a bank of infrared (IR) LEDs to reflect off the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

Me like

Dear MS, just a couple of add ons for when you make it small. At least add a watch face and make it self winding or solar so it doesn't need batteries. It would also be nice if it worked with Google's digi-specs or whatever they call it.

1. Thorne

Re: Me like

It's got lasers in it. Not going to be self winding or solar

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A trackpad, on the other hand, could be solar. Not as portable, but maybe more practical

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Happy

Yes, but just how cool would self-winding lasers be?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wear that in town

And they'll think you are an extra from a low budget sci-fi film or disabled.

3. Mystic Megabyte

So then you'd see a guy who's hearing voices in in his head, seeing imaginary things, stopping taxis and beckoning to fellow nutjobs to join him.

What could possibly go wrong?

4. hplasm
      Meh

...and it won't work with anything decent until it's been hacked by someone.

2. jubtastic1
    FAIL

That's not going to work (reliably)

Ignoring the size of it, which could be reduced to something hardly noticable, it's dependant on line of sight to work, so shirts, coats and desks are going to cause errors.

A better idea would be for a bracelet or watch strap to sense the mechanical activity and/or electrical fields created on the inside of the wrist when the fingers are moved.

More than that though, a virtual invisible keyswitch that's activated when your finger crosses an arbitrary line is a naive concept, on the face of it it would seem a virtual analogue to a common task but the only way they can implement more than ten actions will be through chording, and if you're going to have to learn a whole new way of typing you would be better off basing it on physical actions that are natural and comfortable to users, which definitely won't be jazz hands.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hack #1: power up..

Cue heaps of geeks wandering to A&E with burned fingers :).

Is it just me or is the idea of people walking around with lasers that can go a tad beyond their fingers not such a bright (sorry) idea? It's not like airplanes don't already have enough problems with idiots lighting up the cockpit during landing, and I don't want to have my retinas zapped every time such a user pokes his/her/its nose..

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Yet another in an ongoing series.

Everything coming out of MS at the moment seems to revolve around making the touchy-feely tech of Win 8 work when the thing to be touched or felt is a full arm's reach or more away.

Kinect-a-like, doppler sensors and now this.

It does seem that they have the cart (Win 8) before the horse (the enabling tech).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another idea

It looks a bit like an electronic tag. If they combined the two, they could monitor the perps and keep an eye on what their hands are doing too.

6. Jay Holmes

Just enjoy the idea!!

I think this is another stunning idea coming out of MS which does show there is still innovation going on in the world. Why do most people though have to point out the negatives and what could go wrong with it instead of just appreciating what is right about it.

As stated in the article it is in the experimental stage and will shrink down, but its a step forward just like Kinect was. I see a future of fully immersive gaming with this playing a part, not only that but Minority Report esque op centres lol

7. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Combine with VR Glasses

Adding VR shades to the mix, and we will soon experience the world à la Garry from Alphas.

8. Jason Bassford

Why is this a better idea than Leap Motion?

It seems clunkier, an annoyance (Do I really want to strap something on my arm when I want to work?), and I don't really see why it's more if an innovative product.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like