back to article Surprise! Microsoft patches latest IE10 Flash vulns on time

Microsoft surprised Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 users on Monday by issuing a patch that fixes 25 security vulnerabilities found in the Adobe Flash Player component of Internet Explorer 10, mere hours after Adobe issued its own patch for the Flash Player plug-in used by other browsers. Unlike earlier versions of Internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RICHTO
    Mushroom

Hardy a surprise. Microsoft are on average much faster at patching than any other major OS.

1. Big-nosed Pengie
      Trollface

LOL

Comedy win!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: LOL

Not really. No other company puts as work into this stuff.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@JDX, or should we call you "Mr Orelly"?

If they didn't produce as many security holes then they wouldn't have to work so hard fixing them.

Wonder what the liability is on this kind of patch? Browser maker "bakes" plugin into the executable; vulnerability is discovered in the plugin and patched by the plugin maker… how long before browser maker can be held liable for exploits?

1. JDX Gold badge

Every time there is a hack contest, other OS/browsers are shown to every bit as vulnerable as MS' stuff. But I don't see Apple actively working on finding and fixing vulnerabilities, and I don't see Mozilla putting their money into taking down botnets with the police.

2. JDX Gold badge

If Chrome also bundle Flash, how did their update match up on timings?

1. Test Man
      Stop

Well Chrome was also updated on Monday 8th (blog post at 10am).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

phew

Saw the title started with Surprise! and thought it was another thing about yahoo.

4. Al Jones

Versions

According to Adobe, the latest version of Flash for the "metro" version of IE10 is 11.3.375.10, versus 11.4.402.287 for other versions of IE (including the desktop version of IE10 on Win8).

I've already come across one website that won't play videos on the "metro" version of IE10, insisting that I "update to a newer version of Flash".

Google's schizophrenic attitude to Flash doesn't help - it's built in to Chrome, but banned from JellyBean.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like