back to article 10 million iPad minis to 'outshine' their big brother this quarter

Reports have surfaced that Apple is planning for over 10 million iPad minis – or whatever they'll be called – to be available in the fourth quarter of this year, and that the design of the new 7.85-inch fondleslab could "outshine" its bigger brother, the iPad itself. The Wall Street Jounal reported on Sunday that sources among …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul E

To be accompanied

with apple adverts saying how clever they are to have picked the size of the device one assumes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To be accompanied

There is a reason they're going for 7.85 inches rather than just 7.8. It's that 0.05 inches that's the key to design awesomeness that Apple inspires.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HEADLINES

iPad Mini launch directly responsible for Surface failure.

Microsoft arrives too late to party.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I bet

Sales of tablets will now drop until the IPM is released as prospective purchasers wait to see what Apple have come up with.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's 'cos most of the Apple-tards never take their blinkers off to see the wider world of tech. They start Safari, it drops them off at apple.com and that's all they know! So when one of the high priests of the Apple temple tells them something they have no frame of reference other than Apple's.

No I am not talking about the Reg fraternity you wouldn't be here if you didn't care about tech, just the hardcore Apple fanbois and their blinkers.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Didn't Steve Jobs say "over his dead body"? About the only truly prophetic thing he did said.....

Or was it always the plan to sell them something shite, and then make them all rebuy something better? (perhaps they picked up the trick from Microsoft's strategy of getting Xbox360 gamer to buy two or more consoles in the same gen because the earlier one was shite.)

2. David Webb

"Apple did not skimp on the aesthetics of the much anticipated 'iPad Mini',"

Umm, looks like a larger iPhone, smaller iPad.... what's to skimp on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not made of plastic though!

3. Eddy Ito

Not buying it

The earnings call is scheduled for the 25th after the market closes. The only reason to announce now is to try giving the stock an early bounce which makes me suspicious that the earnings call is going to say they missed the earnings target set by the anal-ists. Add to that a product that is harder to manufacture will necessarily come with a disproportionately high price tag or a very poor profit margin and the last thing Apple needs is a lot of new min-iPads with a poor margin drawing sales away from higher margin kit. If the article is correct it may be seen as Apple having no choice but to jump into the low profit waters just to stay relevant and if that happens; "Quoth the Raven – 'Nevermore.'" -- Poe

1. Shagbag

Re: Not buying it

With the likes of Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire already in this market segment, Apple cannot afford to alienate themselves with too big a premium for their product. The result is, as you point out, the iPad Mini will cannibalise sales of the iPad 3 and potentially reduce overall margin. The problem is that Apple are in desperate need of a 'new' product. The iPhone and iPad are no longer the cash cows they once were and the market has finally caught up with them. With the Board's attention seemingly being averted from innovation and focussed towards monetising their patent portfolio, a low(er) margin iPad Mini has the potential to further dampen Apple's share price and will be seen as a risky move by anal-ists.

1. John 104

@shagbag

The market has finally caught up with them? Seriously??? Do you even follow mobile tech?

1. Chet Mannly

"The market has finally caught up with them? Seriously??? Do you even follow mobile tech?"

In terms of functionality, yes. Given the maps fustercluck you could easily say there are aspects where the competition has surpassed them.

I think what the OP was really saying is that iOS is getting stale in terms of 'wow' factor/features. The interface looks pretty much identical to what it did in the original iphone, while everyone else is innovating - it makes upgrading less compelling, and makes consumers check out what else is on offer...

1. Tom 38

The only "wow" factor any phone or tablet had was that it was a powerful computer that I can sit in my pocket and use for an entire day without looking for a power brick.

That happened with the original smartphones, the latest technologies added slightly more speed so everything happened a bit quicker, but there hasn't been a 'wow' since then.

I can talk to my phone, and it understands? No shit, it's a computer. I can do turn by turn navigation on it? No shit, it's a computer.

I'm struggling to understand what people were expecting these newer devices to do. They're simply better/newer/smaller/larger/cheaper versions of what we already have. Expecting this to change everything (again) is simply hype and nonsense.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@shagbag "The iPhone and iPad are no longer the cash cows they once were"

Every quarter Apple sales have beat the equivalent quarter from the year before for the last seven years. Price has remained premium without discount. Cost, for any given device it is reasonable to assume has dropped with volume and with production line maturity (though the BOM has has marginally increased from generation to generation of phone because Apple have increased component quality but BOM != manufacturing cost). In what way shape or form can this equate to iPhone and iPad not being the cash cows they once were? Now if your argument were that the rate of increase is slowing, you might have a point, but you didn't say that.

2. Richard Plinston

> the last thing Apple needs is a lot of new min-iPads with a poor margin drawing sales away from higher margin kit

The last thing Microsoft needs is a lot of new min-iPads (and Androids) drawing sales away from all their new kit.

1. h4rm0ny

"he last thing Microsoft needs is a lot of new min-iPads (and Androids) drawing sales away from all their new kit."

Well obviously. Just like the last thing Apple needs is Microsoct (and Androids) drawing sales away from their devices and the last thing Android needs is Apple (and Microsoft) drawing sales away from their devices. It's called competition and cuts all ways. The person you're replying to made an actually insightful point - that with an iPad mini, Apple will actually be cannibalizing its own sales which is true. By Android, they've been forced to start selling in a less profitable way for themselves. Or will be when this this is actually out which will be a while, I'm guessing.

1. Richard Plinston

> that with an iPad mini, Apple will actually be cannibalizing its own sales which is true.

If someone want to buy a 7-8 inch device because it is less cumbersome than a 10 inch one then the miniPad will be taking some of Android's sales and this will not affect the 10inch iPad sale - because they wouldn't have bought one.

Anyone who buys a miniPad cannot be said to be 'cannibalizing Apples sales' because it _is_ an Apple sale.

It is possible that a miniPad may be slightly less profitable than an iPad but if they are cheaper they may sell more in total than otherwise and make more revenue and profit.

1. Eddy Ito

"It is possible that a miniPad may be slightly less profitable than an iPad but if they are cheaper they may sell more in total than otherwise and make more revenue and profit."

That's the point, you can only cut margins so far before it doesn't pay to sell the things. Additionally if it's harder to manufacture those added costs don't get better with volume. There comes a point where you can't make it up on volume and it may be that it slices two ways in that someone who might buy both the normal iPad and iPhone decides to go half way and get one converged device in the miniPad and Apple loses the sale on both the higher margin devices. Should that day come mere cannibalization will be thought of with fond nostalgia.

1. Richard Plinston

> someone who might buy both the normal iPad and iPhone decides to go half way and get one converged device in the miniPad and Apple loses the sale on both the higher margin devices

If they decide to buy one 7-8 inch 'converged' device then they would buy an Android if the miniPad was not there. Apple would lose on _all_ sales.

You are just "researching your keyboard"

1. Eddy Ito

You're assuming people make rational decisions whereas I'm fairly certain they don't. Do you honestly think this guy is ever going to opt for an Android. Granted it's an extreme example and he probably would walk into an Apple store and order one of everything if he could but for every one of him there are several Apple only buyers, I personally know and work with a few. Some have tried and even admit the Galaxy S3 is an excellent device but equally state they would never own one. I suppose it depends on whether your model is Gaussian, Pareto or log-normal.

1. Richard Plinston

> You're assuming people make rational decisions whereas I'm fairly certain they don't.

If we each examine our own personal experiences critically, then we may each come to the different opinions that we hold on that matter.

>> someone who might buy both the normal iPad and iPhone decides to go half way and get one converged device

> Apple only buyers

You have suggested that (with the miniPad not being available) someone would decide to get a 7inch converged device, discover that Apple didn't make one and then buy a 10inch iPad _and_ an iPhone.

Surely if that someone was an Apple only buyer then they would _already_ have an iPad and an iPhone.

I also doubt that the 7-8 inch miniPad would be significantly less profitable than their other products. They will not be going downmarket to compete with Google or B&N. They don't need to undercut Surface because, it seems, those will be more expensive than iPads at current pricing.

3. johnnymotel

or this version?

I think it would be a more torrid day for APPL if their next financial statement under performed their last prognostication.

For me, analysts are soothsayers, no more no less. They have no more handle on actual sales than you or me. Just look at how so many get it wrong!

Apple gave everyone their targets for the upcoming statement in the last statement. But dear analysts have an audience to sooth and a stock price to massage.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I believe that Apple will sell 100 million of whatever it is they are going to release.

I believe that Apple will sell 200 million of whatever it is they are going to release - I've upwardised my estimate since writing the title - and they'll sell this much in the first hour.

By the end of November, literally every person with hands in the entire western world (and this includes dogs and horses) will own one of these new and improved iDevices. Once we all own this paean of shininess, we'll simultaneously wonder how we ever did with whatever version or size came before this one, as well as eagerly awaiting our next Apple based opportunity to fondle.

I can hardly wait. Again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I believe that Apple will sell 100 million of whatever it is they are going to release.

"literally every person with hands in the entire western world (and this includes dogs and horses)"

You need to get those dogs and horses to a circus pronto. There's money to be made.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I believe that Apple will sell 100 million of whatever it is they are going to release.

Alternatively... Apple will only sell 9 million of these devices on launch weekend and the product will be labeled a failure for only shipping 9 million not some other really large number.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: I've upwardised my estimate since writing the title

Geezzzz

What on earth is wrong with

I've raised my estimate since writing the title

You obviously have been drinking the Wall St Analysist's kool-aid.

Fail Mr AC for trying to be a smart arse.

5. Nathan 13
    Joke

If Apple made

A Ipad that was an inch thick and uglier than a 1980s phone, 10 million people would still buy 1 LOL

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

"LOL"? Seriously?

The sound of crickets chirping.

A soft breeze rolls some tumbleweed across the dusty, empty street.

In the distance, a lone coyote howls at the moon, over the sad, shivering, sobs of a wannabe comedian who has not only utterly failed to be funny on the internet, but who also laughed at his own pathetic "joke".

1. Shagbag

Re: "LOL"? Seriously?

Yeah, but he has a point.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: "LOL"? Seriously?

No he doesn't. Apple might be a bit overpriced for its power and I don't like OSX much, but the devices are widely regarded as being very aesthetically pleasing and have good resale value. People buy them for these qualities. Apples image is very, very carefully managed by them and that's a big part of why some people buy them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If Apple made

@Nathan 13

Is 13 your age?

I'll tell your momma you been stayin up after bedtime.

4. Tim Bates

Re: If Apple made

You're forgetting about the Newton series of devices....

6. Philippe
    Happy

with Availability on the 25th

That would actually make total sense.

This is the day MS is launching the Windows 8 and their Surface Slate. Talk about ruining the party.

They should do a Midnight launch too while they're at it.

1. Shagbag

Re: with Availability on the 25th

I dare say only MS Marketing Execs, Press 'Freeloaders' and Florian Mueller will be at that party.

2. h4rm0ny

"This is the day MS is launching the Windows 8 and their Surface Slate. Talk about ruining the party."

I think that would be a bad idea for Apple. One thing we can almost certainly say about any new iPad Mini that they unveiled, would be that it would have the same iOS as their phones and current iPads, just scaled slightly. There would really be very little that could be talked about in any depth. It may well be that many people would like an iPad that is more compact and more power to them, I say. But other than a few stories saying it's got one less of these ports or two extra rows of icons, it's more of the same. The same might be good, but it's still the same. The list of new features and the buzz around Win8 generates a lot of examination, consideration and discussion. If Apple launch an iterative product on the same day as a rivals complete new radical re-design, they may find all the discussion focusing on their rival and a lot of unfavourable comparisons of a "same old vs. new and innovative" type. They'd be better suited waiting for a quieter time when their product can be appreciated for what it is, not forced into endless and immediate comparisons.

1. Darryl

h4rm0ny - I can't say I agree... There will still be thousands of articles about the Mini. Look at all of the press a white iPhone gets almost a year after the release of the same damn phone in black?

1. h4rm0ny

"h4rm0ny - I can't say I agree... There will still be thousands of articles about the Mini. Look at all of the press a white iPhone gets almost a year after the release of the same damn phone in black?"

Ah, well though, online sites have to get their clicks somehow. If the only thing with mainstream appeal released that month is an iPhone of a different colour, then you'll get a dozen articles about the significance of white or black. But there's a finite amount of time that a human being can spend online (except for MMPORPG players, of course) and if you've met your quota for interesting stories with a genuine difference, then it's going to significantly eat into the space you dedicate to trivial differences in other products.

Note, I'm not disputing that a lot of press gets devoted to minor things from Apple. I'm just opining that it's because they have an interest in bigging up these minor things to generate page hits. If that job is done, well....

(and I'll re-iterate because things get tribal on El Reg. for some reason, that me saying a change in screen size is a small thing isn't me saying it's not worth having or that an iPad isn't a great piece of engineering. It's just me saying, it's a small change, not a large one).

7. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

I thought that patriots only bought American products, not some far eastern crap.

1. Efros

Hard put to find any! American products that is.

8. sjsmoto

on the other pad...

What if they decided to fool everybody and come out with larger ipad that's poster sized?

1. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

Re: on the other pad...

Oh, wow, yeah I would totally buy that! Shiny!

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: on the other pad...

sjsmoto,

iPad Bugger Me That's Huge Edition?

Only problem is, it would need to be pretty big, just to have room for the name on the back. I think 27" is the sweet spot, same as the big iMac.

Actually, thinking about this, are Apple trying to fool us all? Get a few of your hardware providers to release a few careful rumours, get the journos expecting just another iPad, nothing too exciting. Then launch the Apple TV, in time for Christmas. Proper surprise/shock/wow factor achieved. Marketing happiness.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Rumours

Still rumours at this point, but if it's true that it doesn't have a retina screen then they've lost a sale with me, because you just know 9 months down the line the 'new' iPad mini will come out with all the features that the first one should have came with

10. Oninoshiko

will it come with sandpaper for your fingertips?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No as they will say that StSteve was referring to 7" tablets when he talked of the need to sandpaper figures and this one is a whole 0.85" larger

1. Oninoshiko
        Happy

Thanks AC,

good to have that sorted!

11. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Flame

Samsung launch October 11th

Many reckon it's an SIII mini which I think would suit me and many others just fine.

In tablet news the Galaxy 8.9 with LTE is available for € 260. I have the 8.9 HSPA and can confirm that it is pleasantly light. The 16:10 screen is great for media consumption but also perfectly usable for other stuff.

12. John 104
    Coat

New name

10 million iPad minis – or whatever they'll be called

Don't be daft, everyone knows they will be called the Mini Pad...

I'll get my coat now...

1. h4rm0ny
      Coat

Re: New name

If they make a smaller one still, they could call it the Millipad.

(Can you pass me my coat whilst your there?)

13. tekHedd

Oh boy!

Hooray, now we'll be able to get those patented "rounded corners" in a new fun size!

14. JaitcH
    Meh

Always assuming that ...

the Chinese sweat labour doesn't get antsy and strike, revolt or leap out of the windows.

I wonder in the Chinese workers could make by leaking the manufacturing details to the Western press?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It'll certainly be thinner than its big brother

In fact, there's no reason it couldn't be made as thin as the iPhone 5. The bigger the screen the more room for battery in the same space, since the electronics don't take up any more room. The bigger screen requires more power, but none of the other stuff does.

Given how light the iPhone 5 is, and the fact that the extra volume would be mostly battery which is quite light, it would be close to a paperback in weight - more comparable to Kindle's reader rather than a brick like the Kindle Fire.

The big iPad will presumably be much thinner next year as well, so the "outshining" probably won't last long.

Of course, all this assumes they call the new thing iPad, and not something else....they'd want to keep the look consistent if they are both iPads, but if the little one is an iPod Video or iWhatever they would probably want to differentiate the look in some manner.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"iPad mini"

Is it only me, or does "iPad mini" sound like the name for a ladies personal hygiene product?

With wings perhaps, and a textured back for extra absorbency?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "iPad mini"

Wait 'til they come out with a 12" version, called the iPad Maxi

17. Confuciousmobil
    Thumb Down

Steve Jobs said the screen size of the iPhone was ideal. Apple have since increased it.

Steve Jobs said there was no room in Apple's range for an iPad Mini, it now looks like they are going to do it.

Steve Jobs used Google Maps because they gave the best user experience. Apple have now dumped them.

Before Steve Jobs came back and rationalised their range they were in the doldrums, he turned them round. It seems that now he is no longer with us they are determined to undo all his good work.

Shame. It was good while it lasted.

1. the-it-slayer

"Steve Jobs said the screen size of the iPhone was ideal. Apple have since increased it." - for the width, yes. as with the new iPhone, that's still the same.

"Steve Jobs said there was no room in Apple's range for an iPad Mini, it now looks like they are going to do it." - fair point, but Jobs always used to make comments that negated minus points of a product. however, i still don't get 7 inch tablets, whoever makes them.

"Steve Jobs used Google Maps because they gave the best user experience. Apple have now dumped them." - you can probably bet Jobs was planning to dump Google Maps at some stage. the initial iPhone/iPad offerings needed a system and Google had their UI/API out well before anyone else.

"Before Steve Jobs came back and rationalised their range they were in the doldrums, he turned them round. It seems that now he is no longer with us they are determined to undo all his good work." - i disagree. iOS hasnt drastically changed, the winning design/formula of the phone is still there. i just think the redesign was lacking still compared to the iPhone 3GS > 4 jump.

"Shame. It was good while it lasted." - Apple can afford to take a small blip. Mr.Ive is still at the design throne and as far as I'm concerned, the iPhone is still one of the best phones on the market. Anyway, anything good doesnt last forever. Even the late Jobs himself.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPad Mini....

....Or an iPod Touch Maxi?

19. adnim
    Alien

And in a more appealing reality

common sense spontaneously erupts in the millions of people who already own a 7" tablet. They shrug as they notice that the new iPad mini certainly does nothing more, and very little better than their current device for the price of a day out for a family of four.

So on the day of launch, they take their loved ones for a day out instead.

1. Lallabalalla
      WTF?

Re: And in a more appealing reality

Yes. Because they already own a 7" tablet. Your point was?

On another note - whatever happened to the iPhone Mini we used to hear so much about? I for one am not a big fan of the bigger screen no the 5 and neither is my wife whose smaller hands struggle to cope a bit (just a bit, mind) with the height. The photos from the camera don't come out in the same aspect ratio as the screen, by the way, but are still iPhone4-shaped, which I find very odd since the video *is the same as the screen.

SO on the whole I would be much happier to upgrade my iPhone4 to one that is identical to the 5 except with a 4-sized screen. The lighter thinner case and better camera (and possible 4G) would be exactly what I'm looking for.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pretty stupid idear, i didnt like them to begin with because they were to small and to expensive, now they get even smaller and even more expensive since its new.. awesome idear. at this rate of wicked innovation humanity should only fail in a few million years.

21. Dennis Wilson

For certain

No matter what size, shape, colour, software, or electrical wizardry is in the box one thing is certain.........

......Samsung will sue.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like