back to article 'Never seen before' Fraunhofer wireless breakthrough... seen before

Pity Germany’s Fraunhofer Institute. The research organisation best known for devising the MP3 music format seems to be running short of projects to puff. This week it published an item of “research news” about the work of Fraunhofer boffin Frank Deicke, who is employed at Fraunhofer’s photonics lab in Dresden. Herr Deicke is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Valerion
    Coat

Sooo

not such a Clever Deicke after all.

1. Ally 1

Re: Sooo

My guess is that the new release is 1G/s over a standard protocol, where the last one was straight ones and zeros. There is usually some qualifying statement

Nice pun though!

2. takuhii
    Mushroom

I'd love to know where that light is coming from, as it is illuminating his face (and he's facing down) as well as illuminating the "device" he is working on.

I think from now on, everytime the word "device" is mentioned regarding Fraunhofer, we should put inverted commas around it ;)

1. Richard Altmann
      Headmaster

"device"

The US of A have MIT and JPL

Germany has Max-Planck and Fraunhofer Institutes

UK has ... wait ...

3. Sam Liddicott

Napoleon Dynamite

Is that Napoleon Dynamite narrating the video clip?

4. Andrew_b65

*never seen before

I see no problem here.

*as defined by Apple

5. Schultz
    Thumb Up

... never seen before

Hey it completely worked for me. I had never before seen the device. That photo is good for another dozen press releases before everybody will have seen it.

Go easy on poor Deicke, he has a tough job holding still for 8 month. Thats another feat I have never seen before!

6. cliveski
    WTF?

Has the guy in the photo just nodded off?

7. HMB

Wireless at carefully positioned 2cm gap?

Wireless at carefully positioned 2cm gap? Is that really cutting edge wireless?

A laser instead of an LED, well it sounds cool, but I don't want to have to aim very carefully for a wireless connection to work.

8. Christian Berger

I would like to take this opportunity...

to apologize for the Fraunhofer institute. I know it makes us Germans look like a laughing stock. From the me-too MP3 codec to this hilariously bad idea.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The light in the photo.

There are 2 light sources being used to achieve that look in the photo - there is a tightly gridded light from up high camera right, pointing down at the device. It's clipping the side of his face and casting the shadow you can see under his chin.

There's another gridded light from low camera left pointing just at his face. It's casting the shadow you can see behind his ear. A grid on a light is modifier used to give you a very tight beam of light with a soft(ish) falloff at the edges and no spill light.

I'd guess they're both small flashes (speedlights) with strong orange gels (2xCTO?) and the camera is set to a tungsten white balance which makes the daylight coming in appear blue.

</photonerd>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: The light in the photo.

Nice work

11. Chris007
    Trollface

I blame apple

They're always announcing the "latest thing" which is tech that is more usually 2 or more yrs old but with a pretty GUI attached.

This topic is closed for new posts.