back to article Google celebrates as Android hits 25 billion downloads

Over the next five days, the Mountain View Chocolate Factory will offer a series of discounts on products and applications in its Google Play store to celebrate hitting the 25 billion–downloads mark. "Every day you'll be able to choose from a collection of apps from some of the world's top developers including Gameloft, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Battsman
    Mushroom

Spitting distance is right!

<Initiate Crapple FanBoi Baiting Protocols>

Absolutely correct - given the opportunity I'd spit on an Apple product every day.

<end transmission>

1. LarsG
      Meh

Question....

Are they paid for or free downloads, I'd like to know the split.

2. Mark .

Re: Spitting distance is right!

My prediction is that once Android app numbers have overtaken Iphone, the media will stop making a noise about this as if it was the Most Important Thing Ever.

Or alternatively, they'll switch to something else - such as including numbers of songs and films, and The Reg has now done.

Application download site numbers are pointless - on non-Iphone platforms, you're not restricted to the one site anyway (does Windows have no software, because there isn't an "app store"?), plus who cares about raw numbers, it doesn't tell you about the quality. Most "apps" seem to be pointless website wrappers, and why does it matter if there are 20 apps to do the same thing, instead of 19? I've also got to laugh that for years Apple users were saying it doesn't matter that Windows had more software - even though the issue there was that Mac OS did lack particular applications, and no one simply went on about raw numbers.

Numbers of songs, films etc is even more pointless. If I want to download a song, I can do it from loads of sites - it doesn't affect my choice of platform. I wouldn't want to download onto my phone via a mobile network anyway - I'd much rather download to my computer, and then have it available for all my devices.

2. Haku

...but how many of those downloads got erased seconds after trying the app?

I only recently joined 'the app revolution' getting an Android tablet a few weeks back (wanted a new toy) but I have noticed there's an extraordinary amount of crap apps out there - most you can avoid simply by looking at the pics/detail text/reviews but ultimately you can't help avoiding crap apps 100% of the time and deleting apps seconds after they're downloaded & tested is not uncommon I have discovered.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

Re: ...but how many of those downloads got erased seconds after trying the app?

So it's like a PC then?

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Exactly the same as the iOS one, then.

Although some of the utter crap iOS Apps are made by Apple (Podcast, Maps...) while I've yet to see a crap Google application.

Apple claim to 'curate' the iOS store, but they don't do any kind of filtering for quality - they may have done so in the past (I recall having to send them a video of the application working) but they don't anymore.

Possibly this changed when they decided to go for quantity, as that's much easier to brag about.

It's really easy to 'write' and publish an Android or iOS application, so of course most of them are rubbish.

3. Sam Liddicott

You can often recognize the rubbish by what permissions it asks for:- make phone calls and send messages, wants to know your precise location, etc.

4. Mark .

One thing I don't like on Android is the large amount of ad-ware. Fair enough if people want to make money, but at least be honest about it - most of these don't mention it (though you can sometimes tell, if an app requires network connection, when there's no reason it should). (And it's not just a dislike of ads - already a problem if you have limited screen size on a mobile device - there's also issues such as wasting battery life.)

This includes really trivial applications like for a torch. Thing is, I'd happily write a free and ad-free app myself to do the job. But the sad thing is, no one would know about it - the already established apps would be at the top of the search results, and since they don't admit to having ads, no one would be aware of the advantage of my ad-free version.

It doesn't help that there's very limited search tools - only a choice of "paid" or "free". Thankfully with Android you're not limited to Google's site - so sites like F Droid are useful, for open source Android software.

Android may have more applications than Symbian which I used previously, though in practice it was easier finding something ad-free for Symbian. My point isn't to criticise Android - it's just another example of how raw application numbers is not a useful metric.

3. Eddy Ito

Half the story

If the whole point is to compare to Apples to Androids they should include other app repositories like Amazon, F-droid, etc. on and on. I bet that would have Apple feeling a little clammy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

That's nice for Google

But how much have the developers made on those billions of downloads of their apps?

1. SkippyBing

Re: That's nice for Google

So you're saying if I get an Android I'll spend less on apps?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

How much have Android punters saved by not having to pay £1.99 for an app that doesn't deserve to be anything but free?

Sorry you are butt-hurt because your rubbish app on iOS gets money, but on Android someone has done one for free. If you app was upto scratch, people would pay....

Android is a buyers market, iOS is a developers market.

1. sabroni Silver badge

How much do developers make on Android apps? It's better not to ask, apparently some people get a little touchy if you do.... Why could that be?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

The some people being those "getting away" with selling apps on iOS that don't deserve to be anything but free, and Android punters giving them the finger and downloading the free alternative....

Those are the ONLY butt-hurt boys, and for them I have no sympathy. As I said, Android is a buyers market, if you make something decent, people will buy, I have bought 12 apps/games this week alone (granted it's not a typical week, it's a 25p sale week), but people do buy WORTHWHILE stuff all the time, it's just the vocal ones are the developers peddling crap.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Circa 350m iDevices in circulation, 25 billion downloads = average 70 downloads per phone. Similar numbers for the Android camp (avergae 50 or so downloads per device).

I don't believe the average user has downloaded 70 or even 50 apps, so I'm guessing that both parties are referring to apps and content. Content generally is paid, apps, well, not very often.

4. M Mouse

... could also ask how much Apple and Google have 'earned' - I've read Apple takes 30% but not seen what/ whether Google commission is...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not compare REVENUE from the different app stores in the last 12 months - I bet that would tell quite a different story.

1. Paul 135
      Mushroom

What story would that be then? The story of how crApp£€ users are getting ripped-off?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple should just buy Google mainly for maps and search (and adwords of course) and have done with it.

7. rahul
    Go

And here's a list...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/10i7mt/post_google_plays_25_cent_sales_here/

Crowd-sourced updates.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Of all these gazzillion apps ...

How many are duplicates (or near duplicates)?

How many can you put on the mobly at any one time?

How many can you actually run at the same time?

9. Dr Zoidberg

"equivalent to the number of minutes since humans first entered Europe (although historians still haven't actually sorted that one out quite yet) "

Probably because historians don't know anything about pre history. I think you mean archaeologists.

10. stuartnz
    Thumb Up

Fourteen apps at $0.25NZD today, including Office Suite Pro, so not only did I grab it for my Nexus 7, but even bought it for my wife. If I tell her tghat I bought here an Office Suite for her Nexus 7, my generosity should earn brownie points. No need for her to know how close to free it was. :)

1. stuartnz

I was annoyed at myself for letting the typos slip past me in that comment, then I noted that there's also a typo in one of the tags for this article. Nice to have company! :)

2. M Mouse

lucky s*d

Time we switched to NZD for paying Google...

Relative to UK others paid (approx)

US 16p, Eire / EU 20p, NZ 13p

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm revenues?

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-app-store-sees-6x-revenue-versus-android-in-top-apps-21203749/

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Hmmm revenues?

Right, that's why everyone was getting so pissy further up the thread, there's fuck all money to be made in the Android store. I mean sheeple have more cash than sense, obv...

2. Mark .

Re: Hmmm revenues?

Who cares? Also note that the article says "top apps", which tells us little about how things are for the average developer.

As a user, a platform is better if there's more stuff available for free. That's a good thing about Windows, tonnes of free software - much better than 15 years ago when even simple stuff was crippled shareware. It's what happens when a market matures and becomes mainstream - more software available for free.

And as a developer, why limit yourself to just those two? Stats also show Nokia Store doing better than Google Play, or in some cases better than Apple too. Indeed my own experience is that I get a staggering *one hundred times* as many downloads on Nokia Store than on Google Play. In fact, I even get more downloads for Windows on my website than for Google Play. I think it's a combination of there being still a massive userbase (Symbian number one platform until 2011, and still outselling Apple after that), but less competition in terms of numbers of applications.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Who cares?

Anyone trying to make money by selling apps.

12. Great Bu

Still missing......

25 billion downloads but I still think it's missing a really cutting edge fart app.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...HP Touchpad?

Funny that the image on the home screen ticker is an HP Touchpad running webOS with a fat Android photo shopped onto it!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Healthy growth curve

You say healthy, I say unsustainable.

15. Mark .

"only 4.7 per cent of Android apps were downloaded by tablet users"

Remember that's %age of Android, not %age of tablet users, and Android has a far higher share than Iphone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like