back to article Tablet security study finds BlackBerry still good for something

A technology audit has identified security failings in three of the most popular tablets, raising concerns about the security implications of allowing workers to use their personal technology at work. A study by Context Information Security looked at Apple's iPad, Samsung's Galaxy Tab and RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jason 7
    Happy

Playbook encryption

Now extends to personal data as of the 2.1 update this week.

Remember folks, back buttons are so last decade.

2. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Down

which version of BlackBerry PlayBook ?

I have this device with OS version 2.0.1.358 and there is nothing to do with "balance" or separation between personal and work data.

Oops just searched for RIM playbook updates and there it is, just released yesterday, version 2.1 . Shame on El Reg for not mentioning it - I thought you were better than "only two platforms get mention" crowd!

3. FordPrefect

I'm sure that all 126 world wide playbook owners will be delighted its good for something ;)

1. Big_Ted
      Facepalm

Oh ha ha

Sad post, lacks humor completely.

Epic fail.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge
      WTF?

I object to that on the basis that I've bought three, one for myself two as Christmas presents. so that's 129 then.

4. Patrick R
    Thumb Down

We can't stop BYOD.

Read "The more stuff we sell you to support all that crap, the better".

5. Paul 181

Playbook

After the last firmware upgrade the Playbook is now a pretty capable tablet , especially if you have a blackberry phone , bridge mode is very good for browsing , email and txt.

It can run some android apps now as well although app world is still a bit sparse

and expensive.

The one glaring omission is Skype , add that and for £129 for the 64GB version

its better value than the Kindle HD or the Nexus 7

1. JimboSmith Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Playbook

Skype being missing is I think down to Skype not RIM.

2. bazza Silver badge

Re: Playbook

Skype missing is indeed down to Skype/Microsoft, not RIM. I was pleased to see that the Android version of Kindle still runs on the latest firmware.

Also the Playbook is the only tablet these days to have Flash properly, so the whole web works.

6. Mark .

So is there much of this "BYOD" in the UK? And why is it specific to tablets - I mean, I could just as well bring in my netbook/laptop if I wanted to use something different.

Also the claims that tablets are some revolutionary new thing for office workers seems at odds with the idea that we'd rather stick with our mouse and keyboard, and the dislike against Windows 8's touch UI. Whilst I'm not as sceptical of Windows 8 as some (since it does still work with mouse/keyboard, not like itoys), I'd much rather work all day sitting on a good chair, with a keyboard and mouse/touchpad, and looking at a decent sized monitor at eye level.

The idea that I'd rather bring in my own device, so I can work all day hunched over looking at a small screen lying flat or angled on the desk, that I can only use with my fingers, is mad. Similarly with the idea that I might want to do my day's work whilst standing and having to hold it with one hand, using it with another.

Fine if I was say, someone on a factory shop floor and needed to use a device whilst walking around, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Memo to media: You don't get to claim that ipads are some wonderful device revolutionising office workplaces, whilst also moaning about Windows 8 claiming people don't want tablets in offices. Though no doubt you'll try.

1. jason 7
      FAIL

The tame tech press.

Yes the tech press really do need to get their priorities right.

Had modern computer tech back in the 80's just been down to Apple most of us would never have got to use a computer as an everyday item let alone own several of them for use at home and on the go.

It certainly wasn't Apple's efforts that gave most of them a career. Not that MS deserves a free pass but this current total reality disconnect that just because tech journos can do 99% of their (let's be honest) hardly that demanding job on just a phone and a tablet doesn't mean the rest of the working world should be able to as well.

Most people have to do boring but quite intensive jobs on their computers that tablets just don't cut it for.

And as for switching to Mac for doing those jobs on, well ask my other half that when she joined a web agency she caused gasps when she asked for a windows PC to do her job on rather than the 100% Mac environment they had. Anyway they gave her a £1200 PC (same as what they spent on Macs basically) and she loved it.

Unfortunately so did a lot of the Mac using staff. Why? Because hers was the only machine man enough to do a lot of the boring day to day tasks that the HR and accounts folks couldn't do on their Macs.

"Can I just run the payroll on your PC? My Mac just takes ages/crashes when I do it!"

But the tech journos say we should all be running such stuff on iPads!!??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like