back to article Assange movie portrays leaker as teen rebel

A car passes through a foggy forest. In the back seat, memories wash through a floppy-haired teenaged boy's mind. He recalls another night drive, one on which his mother spirited him away before a stepfather could despatch him to live on a creepy cult's hidden commune. Years later the family emerges from the same car and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You'll do worse than dedicate a couple of hours to the program"

I'm not sure how.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

You've seen it?

What did you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: No need to see it.

It's made by Channel Ten. It's guaranteed to be shit.

FAIL

Re: No need to see it.

It's made by Matchbox Pictures.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: It's made by Matchbox Pictures.

If you want to be pedantic then yes, it's being made by Matchbox but it was still commissioned by and is being shown by Ten. It's a Ten show. It's still guaranteed to be shit.

Pedantic? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

1. Anonymous Coward
                FAIL

I know what pedantic means and I know what good TV is. Channel Ten has never troubled good TV with so much as a glance, let alone any money.

2. johnwerneken

Assange is my enemy and it's great that my government has declared him "enemy of the state"

Activism sucks, it's demented and useless, all about ego, and moral instincts run wild with no tether to reality. I include the versions that are Left, Right, or just plain Weird. Maybe it IS possible to re-assemble a society with survival values and capabilities out of autonomous atoms, but I doubt it. The untethering of the web individual from the intermediate structures has value economically - autonomous atoms that are economic are not autonomous in the usual sense, and that's a great thing. For all other purposes ESPECIALLY OPINION the independent action on the internet is just plain wrong. It actually empowers the ruling class, not the opposite.

I hope they nuke Assange myself and whoever harbors him at the time or stays around those who do.

I'm not a troll, cause I have never in my life cared about what anyone thinks says or does and am not starting now. I mean this chit. I do care what people FEEL: imho, to most, being warm inside and productive matters more than being acknowledged. Hence society. For mutual benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Someone's off their medication again!

2. Dennis Wilson

Re: Assange is my enemy and it's great that my government has declared him "enemy of the state"

Hemorrhoids playing you up?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Assange is my enemy and it's great that my government has declared him "enemy of the state"

"Hemorrhoids playing you up?"

You seem to be a knowledgeable guy, tell us what it's like when hemorrhoids play up. Do they tickle, do they dance? What happens when they play up?

1. Dennis Wilson

"You seem to be a knowledgeable guy, tell us what it's like when hemorrhoids play up. Do they tickle, do they dance? What happens when they play up?"

Why the sudden interest in my bum?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

" You seem to be a knowledgeable guy, tell us what it's like when hemorrhoids play up. Do they tickle, do they dance? What happens when they play up?"

Why the sudden interest in my bum?"

Nice attempt at a recovery; the interest was in your self declared knowledge of hemorrhoids, not your bum. You brought the subject up.

So, is your knowledge of hemorrhoids derived from personal experience? Inquiring minds and all that.

2. phuzz Silver badge
          FAIL

They tickle a bit but mostly they itch like buggery*.

* poor choice of swearword there I suppose.

3. Best Before:
      Mushroom

"I hope they nuke Assange myself and whoever harbors him at the time or stays around those who do"

So are you saying you want to be nuked as well? .

4. Martin Huizing
      Facepalm

so the eh... 'always question authority' is wasted on your ears, right mate?

3. Mayday
    Coat

Mendax

Is Latin for "liar" incidentally.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only in nightmares...

...could any intelligent, educated human being ever consider Assange to be anything but a vile bottom feeder praying on woman in Sweden, jumping bail in the UK and afraid to be held accountable in any court for his self-serving, criminal behavior. He is anything but a hero or freedom fighter. He is an calious, malicious egomaniac manipulating the gullible.

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: Only in nightmares...

"praying"

Not what I'd call it.

The rest of your little rant... unsubstantiated. Basically the style of it makes you sound like a loony.

2. Irongut

Can you explaion to me how you pray on women? This is a form of religious expression I've never heard of.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

I pray for women frequently. Well, at least beautiful ones to throw themselves at me.

However, my prayers are seldom answered....

2. The Indomitable Gall

Praying on women...

...isn't that the missionary position?

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Re: Only in nightmares...

"Can you explaion to me how you pray on women?...." Maybe he meant that compared to Oz women Swedish women are really good in bed? "Oh god, oh, god, OH GOD, oh-wo-wo-wo STREWTH!"

5. jake Silver badge

"A car passes through a foggy, forest."

Out of curiosity, what is a "comma space forest" when it's at home?

The mind boggles ... The entire Assange stupidity seems to bring out the idiots in droves.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ironic?

Escapes from a creepy cult and now has all the trappings of a fully-fledged cult leader.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ironic?

<Assange>All your sister are mine</Assange>

7. John Deeb
    Black Helicopters

couch analysis

"Parts of the plot seem to project facts about the Assange we know today onto the teenaged Assange"

Or we could do some analysis on the couch and entertain the notion Assange would be repeating the same motions he knows from childhood and teenage years but then on a larger scale: the cult "family-father', always running from that shadowy figure, not to mention escapist hacking to publish some ugly "source" but never really finding it. Now we have Assange's childhood playing out on the global media stage. Running from father, looking for mothers, chasing the shiny dragon of "truth".

That said, the response to his work from various governments and politicians I find way more disturbing and insane, like the well known father figure Jack Torrance. Like a global "Family" cult. Therefore I still have to root for Julian here.

8. PaulyV

Ah, Micro Men

The whole darned thing is online here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIcAyFVK0gE

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Umm, no thanks..

.. I will do my best to avoid the damn thing. The less I hear/see/read/sense/throw up about Assange(tm), the better.

Just my personal opinion.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

D/loaded it from teh torrentz, and strangely it omits ...

... how JA stalked his ex and her new partner relentelessly after she left him, taking his son with her. Break and Enter, rummaging through house contents, personal items & documents, taking notes and photographs, phone taps (VA tape recorder attached to house phone line, with necessary minor modifications to make it operational), even suggested to have installed a simple LD inside at one point, all in the persuit to to obtain information that would help him gain custondy of his son. And thats just the tip of that iceberg. Not your usual custody battle. Theres another 'telemovie' just in that.

Oh, but wait, 'Underground' the telemovie is loosely based on parts of 'Underground' the book, to which JA was a contributing author, and so conveniently doesnt contain any mention of that activity.... Kinda like changing his real hacker 'handle' from 'the mad professor' / 'proff'' to 'Mendax' ...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Meh

Re: D/loaded it from teh torrentz, and strangely it omits ...

".....Oh, but wait, 'Underground' the telemovie is loosely based on parts of 'Underground' the book...." Just like the book, only the Faithful are going to actually sit and watch this revision of history.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Bryant: ..."Just like the book, only the Faithful are going to actually sit and watch"...

For the most part 'Underground: The book' is an accurate well written well researched representation of the Australian / Melbourne underground computer / hacking scene at that time: both of the local players and their overseas collaborators.

Parts of the book however were unfortunately intentionally misrepresented, ommitted or otherwise tainted and sensationalised as a result of Assange's contribution to its content. All of which are perpetuated and further embellished by a ratings-hungry media relying mostly on 'Underground: The book' as a reference for their work..

There are still *real* journalists out there, right now, who dont just take the book as gospel and are conducting their own research to try determnie fact from fiction - though 15 years on (since the publication on the book in '97) I imagine its a lot harder, if not impossible, to confirm many things...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like