back to article Oracle stumps for community support for Java strategy

"Make the future Java" is the official slogan of this year's JavaOne conference in San Francisco, but if there was a central theme to Sunday's keynote presentations, it was that moving Java forward is not just an Oracle project but a community effort. Throughout the more than three hours of talks and demos, members of Oracle's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam

"It's not just up to Oracle to make the future Java"

Oracle must be one of the more schizophrenic megacorps on the planet.

When they are not relentlessly beating on their "community" in a fit of rage they are bleating on about how that same community needs to help them out with pushing their product forward, and make no mistake, Oracle have unambiguously shown us that they consider Java to be one of their products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "It's not just up to Oracle to make the future Java"

Why wouldn't they consider it one of their products, it is, and they paid a good chunk of change to get it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Oracle are idiots; they know nothing about "the community"!

Back in the days of Sun I would have believed and even valued and respected statements as "community effort". But when it comes from Oracle all I can think of is: "Cheap labour".

Don't these idiots realize that in the past post-Sun years they have actually been very effective in pushing away the community as much as they can? The only reason I use Java is because I simply like and enjoy the language, I'm not really up to learning a new language which might be able to use the JVM too.

But they made it very clear how much they loved the community when they raised the support costs for all the previous Sun products up to a price where small players (the community) simply couldn't afford it anymore. I licensed several Solaris servers because I believed in the OS and the company. Paid approx. E 400 - 500 / year. Money well spend: continuous updates, SunSolve access, it was good. Oracle took over and I got less support and had to pay approx E800,- per CPU. So don't give me that "community" crap, Oracle only sees money, cheap labour and nothing else.

The very moment I find a Java environment out there which isn't tied into Oracle - at all - and which can still keep up a little with current developments then I'm outta here! No more Oracle for me, the sooner the better. The only reason I put up with them is because I like Java. But I dislike Oracle enough not to contribute anything to their project. Quite the opposite; I avoid them best as I can.

I do use, help, contribute and sometimes even promote NetBeans (NetBeans.org link) which is an IDE not only for Java, but also PHP, C / C++, JavaScript and HTML. It has ties with Oracle but I don't have to accept any Oracle policies to use it, I don't have to comply with lame Oracle policies before I can download it. All I have to put up with is the Oracle name and logo. But in the end its CDDL & GPL (with classpath exception).

Better yet: I'm even free to remove that Oracle crap from the IDE in its entirety. Which I did :-) Its easy :) I'm not spreading it to avoid possible issues. Even though I possibly could under the CDDL & GPL I don't want to risk it, because that's the company Oracle is: I'm sure they'd sue me for slander or illegal usage or something even though it would show they don't even understand their own licenses.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle are idiots; they know nothing about "the community"!

"Like and enjoy the language"? Really? Man, you must be into the SERIOUS bondage & masochism!

Isn't Eclipse very non-Oracle?

3. Bill Neal
    Devil

"It's also up to all of you."

...as long as we like it, and as long as we like you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

A Language For Fat, Ugly Men Without Hair

..that's Java. Probably also some STDs, considering how easy it is to crash and infect the whole VM Crapola.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like