back to article Cisco fluffs up freebie Nexus virtual switch

Cisco is poised to begin beta testing of the latest version of its Nexus 1000V virtual switches, including a new Essential Edition which it will offer for the low, low price of nothing at all. The reasoning behind this pricing policy is simplicity itself: if you are trying to take on VMware in the market for virtual switches, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware vs. Cisco

VMware decided to break up the happy home.... I think ultimately Cisco is going to need to give away their proprietary SDN if they want to compete with VMware. VMware is going to bake Nicira into VSphere and tell customers to go buy some inexpensive switching, which Intel and white box switch provider XYZ will be pleased to produce. They are going to start offering customers switching which is integrated with their VMware environment at about 1/4th Cisco's cost. Cisco is just trying to make it a more complex decision that "migrate and save 3/4ths your cost" by adding x86 servers, storage, telephony, anything to make it more complex than ethernet switch vs. ethernet switch. Cisco has made enemies of nearly everyone in the IT industry. I wouldn't be surprised to see HP, IBM, Oracle and, obviously, EMC line up on VMware side.

2. Schmeelster
    Megaphone

Step too far

Cisco's glorious record of biting every hand that has fed them seems to to know no bounds!! They have long been trumpeting their unique relationship with VMWare and how much deeper their ties are than anyone else and now they go and do this!! Not entirely unexpected but I sincerely hope this is a step too far for them and that market realities start to take hold and people see through the bull***t and lies that they have been peddling since their dawn of time and go with the technologies that actually make sense. I have no axe to grind in favour of VMWare, but on this occasion I hope they clean up entirely at Cisco's expense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Step too far

Nice story - where does the bit about VMware buying it's own virtual switch vendor fit into it?

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

A pity there are no discounts on nexus hardware

But there are some interesting competitors on the TRILL front.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Install now

Collect taxes later

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like