back to article Google shovels more small-fry apps on Larry Page's pyre

Google has dumped more products as it repositions its brand as a social network in a move to shift even more adverts. Mountain View said it will kill off a number of small-fry applications over the coming months, and Google bosses want "people to have a beautifully simple experience" when using the search giant's services. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All good movies IMHO

A simpler and more centralized service is better, and Google usually get things right with regards to what to chop and what to not.

2. dogged
    WTF?

Hold on just a second -

that quote from Google:-

If you’re paying for storage, your free storage will now be counted towards your total. So if you buy a 100GB plan, it will give you 100GB of total storage instead of adding to what you already had.

Isn't that a slightly politician way of saying "if you buy 100GB, you don't get any free storage. Also, fuck you"?

or am I reading it wrong?

3. FanMan
    Unhappy

Well, what about iGoogle?

How is ditching that giving me a beautifully simple experience? Except in the sense that if you disappear something, them you're making life simpler coz its not there any more.

4. Magani
    Meh

PR Speak?

"We believe this approach will make it much easier for users."

This sounds suspiciously like spin-talk for 'It'll save us £££'.

5. Stuart Ball
    WTF?

So you pay for 100GB and get 95GB and your free 5GB allocation?!?!? The wording will need to be clever on that one or trades descriptions comes into play?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you'll find that like taxes and copy right, trades description laws don't apply to Google.

This looks like a price hike, so I suspect I'll stop using Drive, and move my files to somebody whose business is backup. The impact is marginal, but the most important thing is the clear message from Google to paying cusotmers: "F*** off, peasants!"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like