back to article Nokia offers its maps to enterprise: Deal inked with Oracle

Oracle has signed on the dotted line with Nokia to give its customers access to the Finnish firm's maps and location services. The deal, set to be announced later today at OracleWorld in San Francisco, gives Nokia a chance to play to its strengths at a time when its rival in the mobile world, Apple, is figuring out that map …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple changed as they believe they can add a lot of value to maps and location services - Google seem to have been pretty complacent with the product. Give it a matter of weeks to get the bugs fixed and see where the product in 6 months.

Nokia are a bit late to the party - surely Bing Maps are the default on Windows Mobile?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nokia late to the map business???

I don't think you know what you are talking about. But it's the Internet, so you're excused

2. Greg 24
      Coffee/keyboard

Default maps

Nokia are a bit late to the party? Nokia maps are easily the best mapping software available on any mobile device, Microsoft recognise this and will be using them in Windows 8.

I think it's going to take more than a few weeks to fix the "bugs" in Apple maps!

1. Doug Deeds

Re: Default maps

I finally used Nokia maps last year. They did not have any of the roads/area for my destination - an area that had been built up for at least several years.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

Maps are data which I think should be delivered by each country rather than by private companies. They are never as up to date as the reality, thing change, and often over night. The software, where Apple failed, is an other thing. Good software is when it can handle the map data provided, but nor Nokia, TomTom or Apple will not drive around the world to look for missing data in the map data, that is the problem, even if your application is well made, you are dependent on those firms who collect the data for the maps. I have also met people who never up date their maps and still complain.

2. Andy Nugent
          IT Angle

Which country is that? Genuinely interested, as I've used Nokia Maps for years (N80 first phone I had with it I think) and have never had any issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I think it's going to take more than a few weeks to fix the "bugs" in Apple maps!"

And the rest... in fact, in the limited amount I've used it on my 4s, there seems to be such a massive volume of wrong information, it's scary. I dare say it might be quicker to dump it and start afresh - I wouldn't mind betting this is what they do. I worked for Ordnance Survey in my former job, and know huge amount of time and resources it can take correcting cartography and millions of points of interest. Just accept it's crap, dump it, and get new data.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Nokia are a bit late to the party"

You're so wrong, and failing to check facts so badly that you have unlocked the achievement "Orlowski", grats.

2. Anonynomuouous

"Bing Maps now using Nokia Backend services for Traffic and Geocoding"

http://www.bing.com/community/site_blogs/b/maps/archive/2012/05/24/bing-maps-now-using-nokia-backend-services-for-traffic-and-geocoding.aspx

3. Ant Evans
    Windows

All is forgiven

Having switched to Android from S60, I am unpleasantly amazed to find how immature Google's mobile mapping solution is. So it's nice that they keep updating the %$^%$ thing every week.

Actually, in hindsight S60 in general is looking more and more stable, usable and appealing. I think it's Nokstalgia.

Don't use Apple - don't have the dress sense.

1. Arthur 1

Re: All is forgiven

Honestly, I like Android. My current phone is a Motorola droid and my next phone will likely be a Note 2 regardless.

That said, Nokia phones were hugely under-rated. A lack of touch screens and other shiny-shiny killed their classic Symbian smartphones, sure. But the trade for that lack of shiny was that they were massively stable, did everything that they actually did do extremely well, got ridiculous battery life, and even the physical design just felt like every nook and bump was thought through and had some very clever solutions to non-obvious design problems. The 'it's over-engineered, done right and just works' concept that Apple marketing has tried to sell is my user experience with Nokia's older smartphones to a T. Ymmv of course, and no comment on their WinPhone stuff as I haven't tried it.

4. tom dial Silver badge
    Meh

Optional

So I thought I'd give Nokia maps a try: map the route from my house in Ohio to my daughter's in Utah, 1820 miles, all but 6 on interstate highways. Google maps gave a good answer in under 5 seconds. Nokia maps, although it found the addresses quite quickly, still is wheezing and puffing after about 15 minutes and has not returned anything useful. To be fair, Bing maps, which I understand use Nokia's mapping, returned driving instructions about as fast as google, and nearly as good.

The satellite view from Google also was better than Nokia in both size and resolution, and better than Bing in size.

I'll stay with Google for a while, thanks.

5. beep54
    Devil

A reminder to Nokia

"He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like