back to article The Register iPhone and Android apps: Maintenance update

We are prepping new Register apps for iPhone and Android. Unfortunately, this has taken us a little longer than anticipated, and the current apps are no longer working. The new versions will include comment functionality, among many improvements. And we aim to go live this week. In the meantime, we apologise for any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pewpie
    Go

WIN

Hope the app quality matches the content.

1. craigj

Re: WIN

Well.... Most of the content :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: WIN

Indeed, I want it as good as the Google+ app.

That is the current benchmark.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Terminator

Take your time and get them right before release. You know what a bunch of sanctimonious S.O.B's we can be. ;-)

3. sabroni Silver badge

In the meantime...

...why not make the site render nicely on mobile, making the apps unnecessary and opening yourselves up to all, not just iOS and Android?

1. dogged

Re: In the meantime...

I also would like to go back to my V3 RAZR.

Only semi-joking. One day last week I found myself on a long bus journey so I watched a TV episode on my phone. Then I worked out the most efficient route using public transport to my final destination on my phone. Then I read a book on my phone which it played a selection of my music at me using some sort of playlist algorithm that kept an even mood throughout.

And this is a phone most of you wouldn't piss on if it was on fire, not your latest 90% itoy or 89% Samsung Googly Pro.

I'll be honest, I got slightly future-shocked. Or travel-sick, one or the other.

1. Tom 35

Was that you

I saw at the bus station sitting on the floor with their phone plugged in charging?

1. dogged

Re: Was that you

No, I don't use Android.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What, you mean like http://m.theregister.co.uk ?

1. Mint Sauce
        Happy

Awsome, thanks :-) I will now use the mobile site in preference to the main site on my desktop PC. The main site, like most most modern websites has been designed by someone who only uses their browser full screen on their 27" iMac and assumes everyone else will do the same. I've just checked the mobile site and that DOES reformat text as you make the window smaller, rather than just sticking scroll bars on the edges like wot the main site does.

Don't make me think, dammit!!! ;-)

2. 4.1.3_U1

"What, you mean like http://m.theregister.co.uk ?"

Exactly. I unly use www.elreg instead of m.elreg most of the time.

Note - please can we have a working search under http://m.theregister.co.uk, or at least allow search bots in.

Personally I will never use an 'elreg' app if the website functions as well as it does on my phone - this is my most visited site on the phone; I'm even too lazy to block ads here at the moment (not intrusive enough yet, perhaps).

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Cool! I didn't know about m.theregister.com. You might want to try a bit of browser sniffing and maybe offer it to mobile devices when they connect. Would make it easier to find. Not that you should be forcing mobiles to the mobile site (that can be well irritating) but I've browsed here on my phone a few times and wasn't aware you did mobile at all...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We are working on improvements for m.theregister.co.uk. But some people like apps....

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

All you need to do is add icons for posts, fix the thing where images and embedded youtube content sometimes make the page cut off there (if it's not been fixed already, haven't seen it in a while), and make the cookie message not scroll but just appear as at the top as part of the page and make it instantly disappear with a click/tap.

4. Andy 115

You have apps?

As the title says…

5. Gob Smacked
    Trollface

Not the classy way to do it....

You should first deliver a crap app, and THEN say sorry. Not before....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not the classy way to do it....

I think some fruit based company might have that one in the bag.

2. bluesxman
      Trollface

Re: Not the classy way to do it....

If you'd ever used The Register app* before you'd know that that's precisely what happened. Only without the apology (unless you count this article).

;-)

* On Android, can't speak for t'other

6. Wize

What does the app get you that you don't...

...get by using the website in a browser? Especially when using an ad blocker.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

something else to need a password on my mobile

/* INSERT SECURITY FLAW FLAME HERE */

/* INSERT BOT BASED SPAM HERE */

/* INSERT "Service temporarily unavailable here */

/* INSERT "It will be fixed in the next version here */

8. Ben 56
    Pint

We're used to it

The other great British institution the Beeb also messed up their apps a number of times, and continue to do so on Android, so we can give you, with lesser funds, a bit of leeway.

1. Brent Longborough
      Megaphone

Re: We're used to it - Godwin's Law

If you have to compare your app with the Beeb's, you've already lost the argument...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will it have the most powerful maps ever??

I can't wait!

10. Giles Jones Gold badge

Windows Phone still works

Windows Phone app still works :)

1. Nya

Re: Windows Phone still works

If it ever worked. It is nothing but one line of text from a story with a pile of adverts. It's crap, no other word for it (the Reg's app, not the Phone OS before some snide fanboi from the other camps starts).

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Trollface

Are you sure that crapness isn't the base class which this OS provides from which all other classes are inherited?

2. Mint Sauce

Are you sure you're using the official El Reg app? It sounds like you're using the crappy excuse for an RSS reader that someone has knocked up in their spare time and stuck a 'reg' logo on the top? That is, indeed, a pile of poo.

the official app shows the whole story, plus comments and allows you to comment also.(and includes icons ;-)

Cheers.

1. Nya
          Pint

Cheers for pointing that one out thanks. And bloody kicking myself for falling for that other one also!

11. El Bertle

Will it be free or will you charge £2 a month on my broadband for it ?

12. starmir
    Happy

In the meanwhile we invite you to head over here to learn from how others deals with such issues :)

http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

13. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

What is "an app"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ask Valentino Rossi - he frequently describes himself as "very appy", so presumably has some insight.

2. thejackle

It's the correct grammar for...

..."a app".

14. ukgnome
    Meh

I noticed the old app crapped out over the weekend.

Hopefully it will be well received and free from security flaws.

15. AndrewH

iPad too?

An iPad app would be nice. Preferably one that actually displays the expected article rather than another chosen at (apparently) random.

1. Confuciousmobil
      Pint

Re: iPad too?

Why would you need an iPad app? The main site works fine on the iPad just wondering what you want from an app that you don't already have?

16. J. R. Hartley

Hopefully this means I will be able to comment on reghardware articles without having to register there too

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They use the same login. The only reason you're not signed into reghardware.com when you are at theregister.co.uk (or vice-versa) is because the login cookies can't be cross-domain. reghardware.com can't read the session ID from the cookie stored by theregister.co.uk etc.

Just sign into reghardware.com to post a comment.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Just sign into reghardware.com to post a comment"

I'm with the OP - this is supposed to be a tech site covering a range of interests, so why is it beyond the capabilities of those involved to fix this? I don't care that cookies can't be cross domain, but I don't want to have to sign in separately to El Reg, Hardware, and Channel, and posting everything on El Reg merely confirms that these aren't separate universes.

17. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Unhappy

Guess what

no Windows Phone version - 7 *or* 8.

18. Dave 126

I call App Britain!

Suggestion: Can the new Reg app include a unit converter... the one I use at the moment is alright, but is a bit light on Wales, whales, brontosaurs, Olympic swimming pools and London buses.

19. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

.... the current apps are no longer working.

I demand my money back!

Oh wait.

20. Nifty Silver badge

I'm frozen at IOS 5.0.1 will the Reg app still be compatible?

Due to the maps debacle I cannot upgrade to higher than IOS 5.0.1.

Hope that unlike many other apps, this does not prevent installation of newest versions of the Reg app.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Holmes

well hellooo Mr fancy pants...

Some of us are stuck on 4.3.2

21. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

A Big F****ing Request

How about giving us the opportunity to edit our posts.......instead of providing yet another App.

Don't be like MS by giving us a TIFKAM equivalant, give us something we want instead......... Otherwise, we might have to set one or two of those "make a baby disappear" dingos on ya,kindly provided by our Antipodean countertards.

PS : No, there is no foul language in the title , that is a Four Star request...

PPS : Countertards - copyright 2012

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Big F****ing Request

Editing.... or, only make the [Submit] button available after clicking the [Preview] button.

Also, a function that sends a copy of your Reg post to everyone in your address book, regardless of age.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about giving us back

the "see post in context" feature. You know, the one that used to be there, got lost in an "improvement" and is now being ignored by y'all.

23. Tony Barnes

Pictures/videos

Sat hoping the above are going to be included in this version, kinda made the previous version fecking useless for lots of stories..

24. JaitcH
    Happy

The current apps are no longer working. No problem!

Not that any Apple user would notice, they can't even figure out where the hell they are.

25. Jeffrey Jefferson
    Megaphone

Blackberry?

26. Mitchell Jones
    Meh

What about us Yanks?

I didn't even know there was an app until today, then come to find out its not in the U.S. Store,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: What about us Yanks?

Well, what about you Yanks? I thought the ".co.uk" was put there just to keep you out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What about us Yanks?

Are there country-specifi App stores? We pulled the app from the store - something much better on its way - and that means it is not showing anywhere.

This topic is closed for new posts.