back to article McFlurry McMisdemeanour costs Welsh lass McJob

A 19-year-old Welsh lass has been relieved of her McJob after giving a fellow worker at the Llangunnor tentacle of the fast-food monolith an extra dose of chocolate pieces on a McFlurry. "Exceptional" employee Sarah Finch, of Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, was given her McMarching orders after responding to a colleague's request …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram
    IT Angle

Why?

Relevance lost on me :/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: Why?

Posted in Bootnotes, 27th September 2012 09:19 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/11/bootnotes_advice/

That's why.

2. TRT Silver badge

I'm afraid this ElReg report is a sign that a McJob is the new career starting point for IT graduates. Any graduate in fact. :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You know of that young lady who worked at a McDonalds and got sacked because of a few sprinkles?"

"Hmm.... I am aware of the aforementioned claim for unfair dismissal."

"That's your new job, that is."

1. Graham Bartlett

Oh boy, memories there! I wonder how many people here remember "The Mary Whitehouse Experience"?

1. fixit_f
            Thumb Up

You see that (spits) that's your swimming pool, that is. Oooh look there's your mum.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I've got them all transferred from vhs!!

Still funny.....If old...

3. Jude Bradley
            Linux

That's me that is.

4. Giles Jones Gold badge

I remember it when it was on the radio and TV. Punt and Dennis do the Now Show on R4 which is along similar lines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qgt7

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Except The Now Show is so desperately, teeth grindingly, buttock clenchingly unfunny. The only thing remotely funny in there is the input from the guy who's also on The Chase.

Any comedy where there's a second or two's gap between a "punchline" and anyone applauding (as the applause light comes on to remind them) needs cancelling and burying at low tide.

Of course on my other hand Samantha is outstanding...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

The Now Show is appallingly smug. Generally, they take the most superficial understanding of a news story, say 'What if...'? and then construct a short sketch to illustrate a point that wasn't funny in the first place.

The Mary Whitehouse Experience included Rob Newman and David Baddiel in addition to Punt and Dennis.

Baddiel has been irritating (Fantasy Football), though he has partially redeemed himself by presenting one of the only intelligent shows on Radio 4; "Four Thought"... a place for scientists, business leaders, academics etc to present a point of view for a quarter hour without being interrupted by that twit Quentin Cooper.

1. TRT Silver badge
                  Windows

I have to admit that I spent a good few hours this week going through the archives looking for clips from old comedy shows that I used to enjoy after reading a comment someone posted on a Doctor Who forum which read simply "Today, I shall be mostly watching a cube."

2. Psyx
          Flame

"The company's MD, Ron Mounsey"

I think I speak for many of us when I say: What a cock.

Anyone who claim that they don't scratch friends, co-workers and business partner's backs to some small degree in order to make life more pleasant for everyone is a liar: Whether it's fetching them a coffee, comping them lunch, or sticking a round of golf through on ex's somehow. And if a few choccy sprinkles is the price of ensuring co-workers make a shit job a little more bearable for staff, then it's a bargain.

3. JDX Gold badge

Never mind the "why IT?" issue, why is this even reported as news at all? McDonalds fires someone for not following the rules - bombshell.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clearly you cannot read.

Provide a link to the rules on how many chocolate sprinkles an employee should put on a McFlurry.

No?

Get it yet?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your maths

Just gave me cancer.

5. yossarianuk

What you can't see the relation to Microsoft?

i.e low quality crappy stuff for the masses, no where near as healthy/good as making (compiling) your own.

Microsoft are the Mcdonalds of the software world - the OS of Chavs.

6. GotThumbs
      Boffin

I think this can be related to IT and any other postion/career.

The point is:

NEVER jeopardize your position/livelyhood for the benefit of someone else just to be nice. First reflect on whether the proposed actions would conflict with company policy first. The girl should really be mad at the employee and herself, not the owners. The employees are the ones who broke established company policy.

This is a lesson she should not forget anytime soon and it clearly communicates the company is serious about this policy.

Time to grow up kids... or start your own company and run it as you wish.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"NEVER jeopardize your position/livelyhood for the benefit of someone else just to be nice."

Please do allow me to thoroughly ignore your "advice" and not become a prick.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

McBastards

They know where they can put their McShite!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: McBastards

As long as there are no McExtras on their McShites.

1. hplasm
        Happy

McExtras?

McSweetcorn?

2. Silverburn

McShite?

That wasn't chocolate she sprinkled on...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not chocolate? Crystalised McPoo?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"That wasn't chocolate she sprinkled on..." ...correct, I thought that was their standard product.

My personal opinion of McDonalds products is that I'm better off throwing away the burger and eating the carton.

I didn't actually need another reason not to buy McDonalds, but this will do nicely.

1. Real Ale is Best
          Childcatcher

My personal opinion of McDonalds products is that I'm better off throwing away the burger and eating the carton.

I did actually do this once. The paper wrapper tasted pretty much the same as the burger it enveloped.

3. Scroticus Canis
        Windows

"...Baldric..." strikes again!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: McShite

Isn't that the practise of nipping into McDonalds and using the facilities with absolutely no intention of buying anything?

1. Dan Price

That's right - and if you respond to a McEmployee confronting you about it with "I'll buy something after I'm done in there", it's a McShite With Lies.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If, when questioned, about free toilet use, placate the employee with an false assurance of buying food when you have been to the toilet.

A MacShit with lies!

1. peter_dtm
          Alert

Posted Thursday 27th September 2012 16:13 GMT

cornz 1

If, when questioned, about free toilet use, placate the employee with an false assurance of buying food when you have been to the toilet.

A MacShit with lies!

why would that be a lie ?

the statement 'I am going to buy food' obviously precludes any purchase of any McGabbage product

4. MikeR

Indeed and if you get challenged for using hte facilities and not using them, it then becomes a McShite with Lies...

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: McShite with lies.

I remember when I lived in Birmingham the bogs had bouncers at the weekend to stop drunken revellers doing exactly this.

Must be the bottom rung of the door staff ladder.

4. Andrew Moore

The correct term is 'MuckSlurry'

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I read the book Fastfood Nation back in 2002, I haven't set foot in McShitpit , Double-Whopper Dog-Burger King or Colonel Saunders Chicken Torture-Shed since!

These places serve shit masquerading as food, treat employees like pieces of crap they've found under their boots and don't give a monkey's toss about animal welfare at the backend.

Do yourselves a favour, avoid them all!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I read the book Fastfood Nation"

Sounds like a paragon of English literature.

While I agree that the quality of McDonald's "food" deserves no comment from a culinary standpoint, I would not be so fast to condemn their employee treatment for one reason: the brand is a global franchise, meaning that although they bear the same name and sell the same food, individual stores are owned and run by different people.

Some of them no doubt are scum and we tend to hear about them on the news such as this instance but, although I have no personal experience, I would be inclined to think that there must be other franchisees who are supportive of their employees and treat them fairly.

6. zb
      Happy

In view of the headline I think you meant McSlurry

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair to McDonald's, this is a franchisee.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Extras

It really is a bit shit as there is no standard measurement that I can see on how much they give you. I stopped at a drive through a few weeks back in the heat for a McFlurry and the chocolate serving was stingy to say the least. In fact I chucked half of it away as I didn't want to eat plain ice cream.

So McDonalds, it works both ways. I get cheated out of a decent amount of topping, yet the lass who tries to do her job properly gets fired.

1. cocknee
      Thumb Up

Re: Extras

Mr C Hill, you beat me to it.....

Certainly makes up for the useless bastards at my local McDogBurger's where the servings are usually wrong, incomplete or generally stingy. "I thought I ordered large fries, not child portion in a large box"

I worked in McBastards a long time ago and I could probably still do a better job than the useless morons in that branch.

Anyway, the MD of the Welsh outlet is obviously a c*** I hope the news of this locally affects his profits significantly and then the manager can be fired for gross misconduct of bringing the firm into disrepute - also in the manual. RTFM you tosser!

1. Thomas 4

I feel she has excellent grounds for her appeal. She wasn't giving away food, she was giving away McDonalds.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
          Devil

Actually, all she needed to do for an appeal was to bring said chocolate pieces and a set of kitchen scales and demonstrate the difference between "normal", "stingy" and "lots". The chocolate used for such sprinklings is porous so the difference is not in "grams" as suggested by the register in the bootnote. It is in tens of milligrams (at best). If she puts a whole extra gram of sprinkling on top it form a layer.

Frankly, sacking someone for 50-100mg of chocolate is beyond grossly disproportional.

2. Jonesy

Mr C Hill: She got yours'

That is all.

4. Smallbrainfield
    IT Angle

A wonderfully acerbic bootnote, I was wondering what the IT angle was though.

I would not be surprised if Burger King or Subway or somesuch offer her a job, just to rub McDonalds nose in it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A wonderfully acerbic bootnote, I was wondering what the IT angle was though.

The staff in Subway seem to be willing to go to exceptional lengths and spend quite a bit of time to make sure that the bit of cheese they put on your sandwich is only one bit of cheese.

5. Knowledge
    FAIL

Mounsey sounds like

a complete prick.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mounsey sounds like

Don't worry. Having been involved in a few tribunals now, I predict with some confidence the franchisee will be instructed to settle, or else she'll be awarded a couple of grand if she's lucky. Either way, he'll end up with more McMuffin content over his face.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Let me guess, even his after writing "Your smile is very welcoming." in her appraisal she still turned him down for a BJ, so he was just waiting for an excuse to get rid of her?

1. Danny 14

at worst they will need to pay twice salary and STILL get away with it. Small tribunals for this kind of thing is still shocking. The publicity will be a kicker though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Less than 2 years

Employed less than 2 years so no such thing as unfair dismissal. I wonder how much "extra" she put on, most likely a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Less than 2 years

YANAL & IANAL But ...

http://business.wales.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073793719&site=230&type=RESOURCES

"Eligibility to claim unfair dismissal" [...] ...

"For employees in employment before 6 April 2012 the qualifying period is unchanged at one year. The right to request a written reason for dismissal is unchanged at one year. "

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: most likely a lot.

Of course that's the most likely amount, otherwise her manager must be a sanctimonious jobsworth dickhead, and I can't imagine you can get far in management if you're one of those....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...her manager must be a sanctimonious jobsworth dickhead, and I can't imagine you can get far in management if you're one of those...

You've not worked in the civil service then I take it?

1. Wilseus

"You've not worked in the civil service then I take it?"

I was going to say that, except that in my experience it also applies to the private sector. In just about every company I have worked, while I wouldn't say being a total cock is an absolute prerequisite for a management position, I don't think being one has done any of my past managers' career prospects much harm.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

This is actually been an object of scientific studies... basically, those in management aren't more competent, they just believe they are. More competent people are likely to underestimate their own abilities, incompetent people don't know enough to realise that they don't know much.

The study basically confirmed Bertrand Russell's observation that "The ignorant are cocksure whilst the intelligent are full of doubt"

7. tempemeaty
    Mushroom

McAbusive much?

Seems to me we have a McAbuse of employees going on here. This sounds like sick and abusive behavior on the employers part. I will NEVER support any organization with that kind of behavior and attitude. No McBusiness from me...

8. Mattjimf
    WTF?

If that's the case, thank god the stores I worked in during the formative years of my employment career didn't have this policy.

It was not uncommon for staff, from lowly paid oiks to store managers to give extra burgers, fries, drinks and desserts to staff and friends of staff on a regular basis.

As to the flurrys, the chocolate is all Cadburys stuff and as most will be aware the boxes are 1 1/2 kg (from memory, may have changed in the last 10 years) and cost about £3 a box. If the employee had put extra ice-cream (or the frozen sundae mix they use) I can see them having a point, but the extra topping is akin to getting extra sauce in your burger.

1. TRT Silver badge

Urgh...

I've heard the rumours about the extra-special sauce you get at some fast food outlets.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

McThief.

[quote]If that's the case, thank god the stores I worked in during the formative years of my employment career didn't have this policy.

It was not uncommon for staff, from lowly paid oiks to store managers to give extra burgers, fries, drinks and desserts to staff and friends of staff on a regular basis.

[/quote]

When I were a lad.. and knew someone in the local McD's I used to order small fries and a drink and then be given large fries, large coke, apple pie, big mac and a couple of burgers. My friend was a hardcore McThief.

This case is VERY trivial.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: McThief.

When I was a student, a friend and I used to be in the habit of just turning up at packing up time and asking for free food about to be chucked. Didn't know anyone there personally and never worked there. Got it most of the time too. Wouldn't do it now though, it makes you go spotty.

1. LaeMing

Re: McThief.

Yes, about 20 years ago my sister's friends got closing-time extras. Usually they would get a double of anything they bought that had spares going to be wasted.

3. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

In honour of the famous quaker chocolate factory:

There was a girl from Kidwelly

Who worked at the local Muckdelli

The job was a cinch to Exceptional Finch

But they sacked her because they are a bunch of arseholes that sell shit that includes chocolate sprinkles from a supplier that only sprinkled their production lines with "very small amounts" of toilet seepage once -for an unknown length of time, to idiots.

9. b166er

This boss is an arse and will get his just desserts in court. (with extra topping if I had anything to do with it)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple answer...

...create a boycott.

get your "friends" on Facebook to refuse to eat there and let the store know that.

Even better,go in order the food, then before payment, say you've changed your mind as the goods don't match the displays and leave.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

McDonalds ?

You have to pay *before* they start serving you.

Might work at a drive through though. Order food, then drive off just as they bring it to the window.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: McDonalds ?

It was a long time ago that i worked there, but back then it was drilled into you that you could be getting the order together while the customer finds the money in their pockets.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: McDonalds ?

"Might work at a drive through though"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27NX_MMIkLY

2. ratfox
      Happy

You're on!

I'll never eat there again anymore. This should be easy, considering I live in a different country.

11. Anonymous Coward 101

What gets me about this is the sheer randomness of it all. Any normal person could get sacked for something similar. Could they not just have taken her aside and told her not to put so much on the next time? The employee keeps her job and the company keeps their competent member of staff.

Does anybody ever get sacked for being just plain shit at their jobs these days?

1. TRT Silver badge

I think it shows that...

not only is her boss a nasty human being, but is also pretty ineffective at being a manager. I mean, all that expense of training, uniform, HR etc. just to fire her when a formal warning would have served as well.

Should fire HIM for the waste.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Staff turnover

McD's have a policy (probably unofficial) that staff turnover is kept high as it is cheaper to keep training staff at the bottom of the tree than to increase their pay as they gain experience. My missus was a store manager for 6-7 years and only kept those who were likely to go on to the Management courses.

3. Andrew Moore

I'm surprised the co-worker didn't get sacked for coercion.

What I want to know, is how did the management find out that "too much" chocolate had been added?

1. TRT Silver badge

How did the management find out that "too much" chocolate had been added?

Webcams in the serving spoons.... I was RIGHT!

4. Peter Simpson 1
      Unhappy

Does anybody ever get sacked for being just plain shit at their jobs these days?

No.

//Evidence is right in front of you, so to speak.

12. ColonelClaw
    Stop

What the fu..

Is it legal to pay someone £180 a week? Sounds well below the minimum wage to me.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: What the fu..

Depends on how many hours she worked.

1. VinnyR
        WTF?

Between the age of 18 and 20 the minimum wage is £4.98 against the minimum wage for 21 and over being £6.08. Personally I think this is age discrimination. It means that 2 people doing exactly the same job but different age get paid different rates.

I experienced this a long time ago when I was a 16 year old summer vacation worker and I was working with an 18 year old doing the same things. I found out and pointed it out to the boss who was genuinely mystified why I should be upset!!

1. Anonymous Coward 101

@VinnyR

It's supposedly because the younger you are, the less productive you are supposed to be. On average, I think that is true (more experience) but for idiot work it surely doesn't make any difference.

Personally, fuck working for £4.98 per hour. I would have to be desperate, especially if I could get sacked at random and thereby get an 'adverse employment history'.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: @VinnyR

I've a vague memory that it was about getting younger people into employment. If it costs less to employ a youngun then that's more attractive to some businesses (those that only care about how much they pay out). The idea presumably being that once you've got a foot in the door, you either make a career of it or at least have some experience behind you when you apply for other jobs.

Course, I could be talking shite.. I can't really be bothered to look it up though

2. Paw Bokenfohr

"Personally I think this is age discrimination. It means that 2 people doing exactly the same job but different age get paid different rates."

Well, no. What it means is that a bad employer can get away with paying someone who's 19 less than the legal minimum would have been for someone who is over 21, but, most employers don't pay the bare minimum wage.

I do agree though that it's shocking that someone can get paid £200 for a full week's work (for me, a "full week" on my employment contract is 40 hours, though, I work a lot more than that).

2. Spikehead
      FAIL

According to my math, she's being paid over the minimum wage.

At 19, her minumum wage is £4.98. As she works between 30 and 35 hours a week, she would be earning £174.30 max if she was on minimum wage. Ergo, she must be on more than that if her average is £180.

3. Steve Foster

The national minimum wage (NMW) for a 19-year old is £4.98 per hour. So doing 30-35 hours per week would indicate a minimum weekly wage of somewhere between £149.40 and £174.30.

Assuming she was working an average of 32.5 hours, and receiving £180 per week, that puts the rate at roughly £5.50ph, or about 10% higher than NMW.

Of course, if she were a little older, and entitled to the full "adult" rate of £6.08 per hour, then £180pw for 30-35 hours would indeed be below NMW.

(the NMW rates are being revised very slightly on October 1)

4. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

You should apply for a job at any supermarket or their warehouse and go to the interview. It is a disgrace.

I am not just sayin that. I went to a warehouse in Cheshire making meat products for Morrisons -a "family firm".

It was a prison as well as a con.

I am not larding it on. It is just so.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have a friend, recently divorced who got a job at Sainsburys. They are worked the exact hours as to get the mandatory 15mins break but if they worked a few minutes longer would be entitled to a 30min break.

That 15mins break is from the time they clock off the till and then up to the canteen vending machine, which is normally empty, so back down to the shop floor to get food, queue up like everyone else, then back up to the canteen to eat it... then back down to the till again to clock in.. all in the space of 15mins.

So next time you think the bird on the till looks hacked off, now you know why.... She has since quit Sainsburys....

In the old days companies had respect for their staff but now its all about the profit, who is to blame? WalMarts influence/race to the bottom, government policy or ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of the first job I had out of university, which was at a cheque processing facility for one of the high street banks. The main hall held dozens of machines where operators keyed in the account number to be credited along with the amount as each cheque whizzed past them, these numbers were then printed onto the cheques using magnetic ink. The boxes of cheques would then be loaded into a huge machine that would read the numbers in order to populate batch jobs.

The operators were mostly housewifes, plus a few back office staff from high street branches who had been demoted to this job as an alternative to redundancy. They were allowed a fifteen minute break, which started from the moment they logged off their machine and ended the moment they logged back on. It wasn't actually possible to have a hot drink, since the canteen coffee machine produced scaldingly hot beverages that wouldn't cool down to a drinkable temperature in time. Any visits to the toilet had to be taken in these breaks as well, and if an operator dared to got to the loo outside of their fifteen minute break it was zealously recorded in their personnel file by the managers.

the only relief from the tedium was when a staple or paper clip "accidentally" got into the printing machines or the massive processing machine. The latter would come to a halt with a satisfying crash, followed by the sound of a klaxon and rotating yellow lights.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"In the old days companies had respect for their staff but now its all about the profit, who is to blame? WalMarts influence/race to the bottom, government policy or ?"

you mean like when they use to lock the gate to the factory or pit as soon as the whistle blew to prevent anyone from arriving late? Treated you right in the old days, didnt they?

1. Danny 14
          Stop

Jesus, I remember getting £90 a week as an infantryman. "Board and lodgings" were a barracks though, many bedsits ive lived in have been better.

Still. She wasnt claiming dole and was working. After winning the tribunal she will be entitled to benefits.

13. Pete the not so great
    Joke

Did her a McFavour

On a similar note, my mate Dave got fired from the dodgems

He's now doing them f'unfair dismissal

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did her a McFavour

I know someone who was caught stealing potato bags. He was sacked.

I know someone at the munitions factory who was caught sleeping in a cannon. He was fired.

I know someone who kept turning up to the trapeze hungover. He was let go.

I know someone who took illegal copied of the payroll software. He was paid off.

I know someone who wrote the iOS6 Maps apps. He lost his job.

I know someone who was dismissed as a magistrate of the Classical Roman Republic. He's taking them to tribunal.

I know someone who engineered the 2nd failsafe system on an aircraft. He was made redundant.

I know someone who failed to clear the autumnal paths. They got gardening leaves.

I know someone who worked in corporate logistics. He cleared his desk.

1. Anonymous C0ward

Something something bacon slicer something something.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
          Facepalm

dis-arsed-her?

14. fridaynightsmoke
    Facepalm

I used to work at McD

It was my first job... the McFlurry chocolate was roughly dosed by the dispenser (similarly to an optic in a pub).

Giving extra choc to favoured customers/employees was quite common, along with extra fudge in the sundaes, 'special' burgers with an extra patty etc. The standard response from management was to get an unofficial bollocking, unless someone was really taking the piss and noticeably doing it regularly, in which case further action would be taken.

I was once collared helping myself to a sundae consisting mostly of chocolate sauce, instead of the 1cm at the bottom of the cup a regulation single pump of the dispenser would give you. It lead only to a 'quiet word' from the shift manager.

I wonder if there's more involved in this case, eg a pattern of regular 'bad employee' behaviour (whatever that might be), each instance just below the threshold for 'doing something' and this case providing the excuse for a sacking; or whether the manager involved is just a power crazed arse. We shall never know.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: I used to work at McD

We shall never know

We will, I think, because to make a dismissal stick you need to have good grounds. Just waving an employee manual around and call it the Bible is not going to help in court, which tends to be more sympathetic to the employee (with good reason, since they tend to be the weaker party).

What's more, the publicity surrounding this case is likely to focus on the fact that McD is stingy with the nice stuff - all extra brand damage that the manager could have foreseen. I fully suspect this is going to be a doorstop settlement - and offer to settle just when she is about to walk into court. McD cannot afford this.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: I used to work at McD

"...waving an employee manual around and call it the Bible..."

I accuse you of unfair diss-missal.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

de minimis

16. Darren Coleman
    WTF?

Wasted talent

I found it quite amusing that her command of English was clearly far greater than her superior.

1. Silverburn
      Happy

Re: Wasted talent

and that *despite* her UK university education.

2. Paul_Murphy

>I found it quite amusing that her command of English was clearly far greater than her superior.

and math, or at least statistics.

ttfn

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

"command of English" ......

..... "math"

Maths <- S.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hangings is too good for sponging thieves like this. Stone 'em I say.

1. disgruntled yank

Or worse yet

Life imprisonment with a McDonalds diet. That should teach Mounsey and his like.

18. lee harvey osmond

"Mounsey may have a point" ho ho ho

"Mounsey may have a point" ho ho ho

The calculations suggest all 740 employees work 365 days a year. I find that unlikely. And while McDonalds does claim to use only premium ingredients, I'll bet it pays rather less than £70/kg for chocolate.

Despite having visited McDonalds several times over the past decade, I've never eaten a McFlurry and I've no idea how much it costs to buy one. And since I don't have any access to McDonalds business information, I have no idea how much one costs to make, or how many a restaurant of a given size might be expected to sell over the course of a year.

But I speculate that if doubling the chocolate content from 1g to 2g -- at a cost of 7p as per the article's numbers, or 3p as per my wild guess -- led to 740 test subjects wanting to buy one a day for a year, at a unit selling price wild-guess of £1.49, grossing £400k (additional chocolate cost either £18.9k or £8.1k), I wouldn't fire the employee who experimented with adding extra chocolate. I'd offer them a job in product development.

Equally, it a well-known factoid that the cost of ingredients amounts to a fairly small fraction of the cost of a restaurant meal; and I, like most diners, do not understand why anybody in any food business would skimp on something cheap at the risk of driving away repeat custom through being stingy. Even McD.

Devil

Re: "Mounsey may have a point" ho ho ho

I suggest you take a kitchen scale and see _EXACTLY_ how much 1g worth of chocolate sprinkling (which is made of porous chocolate) is. Note - sprinkling, not chocolate shavings (which are not porous).

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Devil

Re: "Mounsey may have a point" ho ho ho

I was looking online to see If I could find the wholesale price for a box of cadbuy's choclate bits for a McSlurry. I found this:-

Marketing Plan - Introduction of McFlurry product to McDonald's

It's for a McDs in in Bucharest in Romania but is priced in USD, for a $1.50 McSlurry, the breakdown in costs is:-

Variable Costs (food, packing,electricity, etc) - 0.30/0.35 USD depending on McSlurry version

Fixed Costs (lease, insurance,taxes, salaries,etc) - 0.30 USD

Profit - 0.80/0.85 USD[1]

This would imply that the material cost of a McSlurry is less than 0.30 USD, and there is a comment in the document that material costs in Romania are higher. So i suspect that your guess of 3p worth of chocolate is a bit high.

[1] Expected total profit PA is $15,500 on $24,000 of sales.

F*** IT career, I'm going to open a McDonalds

19. BigAndos

I used to work in Pizza Hut and I got disciplined for putting too much cheese on pizzas I was making. Given that the cheese they use on each pizza probably costs about 4p I felt it was a bit harsh!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pizza Hut, Farnborough, Hampshire in early 1990s. A friend who worked there used to wee in the dough machine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Peeza hut?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AC 13:39

your friend is a prick.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Back in the 1980's, the newspapers offered a cash reward for good stories - so - we purchased 5 white rats, phoned the newspaper and released them through the letterbox at Burger King for a tidy profit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Back in the 1980's,"

Ah, the entrepreneurial spirit.

"the newspapers offered a cash reward for good stories"

Where's my 'what could possibly go wrong' file?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheesey

Cheese is the most expensive part of the pizza, so expensive in Canada at least, it is being smuggled across the border at Niagara Falls as american mozzerella is very much less expensive than the canadian variety

20. PassiveSmoking
    WTF?

The image of David Brent pretending to sack an employee for gross misconduct for stealing post-it notes has just come flooding back full force.

I never imagined even McScum would be low enough to do that in real life, and be deadly serious about it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more clear-cut case of unfair dismissal.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, here's a deal for you

(note: the term "food" is here used as a shortcut to "stuff that is just about edible but will do to stop my stomach from being noisy and get home where I can eat something that actually does the term justice")

Here is the deal, Mr McDonalds: you serve me "food" that actually looks like the posters and I won't take pictures of it and send them to Trading Standards for misrepresentation. With respect to the young lass, I hope she'll be able to sue you ass to hell and beyond, because she did NOT give food for free - she adjusted the taste to her judgement. Given the default taste of McDonald's food, I think she should actually be rewarded.

Now, I suspect that my custom will not add to your bottom line much (it's about twice a year or less), but I hope the locals will move en bloc to whatever competitor you have locally - and that they employ the young lady.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It was gross misconduct

On your part, Mr Mounsey.

Her behaviour warranted at most a warning.

'Gross misconduct' should be reserved for serious behaviour (punching your dick of a manager, for instance), not for errors in judgement.

Re: It was gross misconduct

You've got a point there - unless she had prior warnings, this is not going to fly.

The argument that she gave food for free is not going to run well either, because there WAS payment. I suspect the court is going to take a VERY dim view of sacking someone for imprecise measuring.

Her lawyer will have an easy job.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

> Her behaviour warranted at most a warning.

I lack experience in the fast "food" trade but it seems to me that a few extra choc sprinkles on top of a single ice cream doesn't warrant anything at all.

Seriously, some of the comments here seem to condone the attitude that any kind of disciplinary action is acceptable in this circumstances. This manager is a 100% prick and deserves a good smack in the gob.

You're right if you're looking at it from the viewpoint of a normal human being (an angle apparently completely alien to this McF*ck of a manager). I was more looking at the legal side - English employment law offers a degree of protection from morons like that, so if she takes this to court McScrewup will have to explain why no proper process was followed. It's a clean a case of constructive dismissal as I have ever seen.

Not only is it required to warn an employee first so that they can correct their behaviour, McScrewup will also have to explain how this fits in with an otherwise above average record. If McMarketing has any sense whatsoever they will try to settle this as soon as possible with a more than generous payment accompanied with a gagging clause, otherwise this will provide month of fast food for the press instead. The press is always on the side of the individual.

I suspect the manager in question is likely to have maxed his career path by this stunt, and deservedly so.

23. James 51
    FAIL

Before handing over a McFlurry it is suppose to be stirred by a special machine for about 8-10 seconds. It is never used because that is far too much time to be spent just standing around. She is right about the amount per serving. This has the ring of a McManger who is taking their frustrations and limitations out on the staff (it's not the first time either). Hope she wins her unfair dismissal case (although if the business sectary gets his way it might be the last time an employee is allowed to stand up for themselves).

24. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Sigh

The negative publicity, the loss of an above-average employee, the cost of the internal investigation, the cost of the external litigation (successful or not), the cost of her friends not coming in any more.

Sure, there's a point where you crack down on employees but it usually involves a quiet word and insistence and repeats of the event making your "quiet word" louder and louder. But I'm guessing that all of the above cost a LOT, LOT more than anything she ever did with chocolate sprinkles (especially when you consider the bulk-buying price of those sprinkles and/or the amount of profit that places usually makes a day anyway).

Management. A posh word for idiot who doesn't understand how humans work.

25. DrXym

Is that all

Back in my student days when I had a McJob it wasn't unusual to see people cooking up big macs with the meat doubled up, or suspiciously large portion of fries or whatever. It probably cost McD's a massive 20p for this abuse of their free meal policy but given the low pay, hard work and menial nature of the job I really don't see it as a high crime or misdemeanour to turn a blind eye or at least give someone an informal warning.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Franchise

Let's not be too harsh on McDonalds themselves as this outfit appears to be a franchise called Lonetree.

McDonalds should be giving Lonetree a bollocking though. Indeed the McDonalds franchising documentation insists that franchisees have:

High personal integrity

High standards of people management and communication

Ability to display financial acumen

Strong leadership qualities

The personality to be an excellent ambassador for McDonald's

The Lonetree franchise seems to have failed on all 5 counts!

27. CmdrX3

Never mind the McFluffys

One of these days I would like to receive one of the burgers they offer on the menu board. To date not a single one I have received looks remotely like them, still... I live in hope.

Devil

Re: Never mind the McFluffys

I suggest you watch "Falling Down": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

For those wondering why McDonalds burgers look nothing like the pictures, this video may be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8

3. Shades

Indeed, that's why I'm always a dick about going to a McDonalds. I call them "Build-A-Burger" and refuse to acknowledge suggestions of eating at McDonalds until the third party making the suggestion realizes that I'm not going to agree to it unless they too refer to McDonalds as "Build-A-Burger". Then, after that little rigamarole, I simply tell them "No, why would I want to go somewhere where I ALWAYS have to (re)build the burger to get it looking at least something like a burger if not anything like those pictured on the menu boards?"

I don't get asked to go to McDonalds often. Which is kinda the point.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Because we are too cheap to use enough toppings for you to be able to see them from the side" sums it up nicely. Not to mention the fact that the toppings they do put on look like they have been sat on first. At least with Burger King you can see evidence of toppings, even if it's just a bit of lettuce sticking out the side.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Build A Burger?

It's quite nice actually

http://www.buildaburger.co.uk/

(Oh, and you sound like a barrel of laughs to have out for lunch! Do you sit at your desk with your tin foiled sandwich most days while your colleagues head out?)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"refuse to acknowledge suggestions of eating at McDonalds until the third party making the suggestion realizes that I'm not going to agree to it unless they too refer to McDonalds as "Build-A-Burger". Then, after that little rigamarole, I simply tell them "No, why would I want to go somewhere where I ALWAYS have to (re)build the burger to get it looking at least something like a burger if not anything like those pictured on the menu boards?""

how very Machiavellian of you,,, to be honest, its a wonder you have any friends if you act like a dick!!

I understand that the burger does not look like the picture on the wall... and no matter how much you rearrange it its never going to look like the picture on the wall.... and again, no matter how you rearrange it, its not going to alter the taste !!!

Coat

I actually don't WANT it taste like the one on the wall as that is made of paper and plastic..

28. Purlieu

hey Mounsey

meet Streisand

29. Spacedman
    Joke

Not a Euphemism

Who else thought "an extra dose of chocolate pieces" was a euphemism? Although that might not get you sacked from McDs - how would they know?

30. Jeff Dalmer
    Joke

ref bootnote

But how many Olympic sized swimming pools would it fill?

You have forced me to go to the BBC to find out.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe it was her age.

My nephew worked ata local sandwich store whoes name begins wiith S and they had no staff over the age of 18 for very long. They would always reduce their hours and make it awkward to work there.

16-18 year olds however are somethign different. The younger you were the more hours you got.

My nephew refused to file a comlaint about their patently dodgy behavior. Oh well.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

32. smudge
    Headmaster

Do monoliths have tentacles?

That is all.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Re: Do monoliths have tentacles?

Thank you for the mental image of a 100' statue of Great Cthulu and my upcoming trip to the laughing academy.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Used to go to Wales quite a lot

And it reinforced my opinion that Welsh guys are a laugh, Welsh girls are hot, and Welsh authority figures are petty, small-minded, little Hitlers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Used to go to Wales quite a lot

Broadly speaking : spot on.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More than meets the eye?

Being sacked for adding a few extra sprinkles?

One wonders if there is some, errrm, "history" between sackee and sacker?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More than meets the eye?

If there is no *documented history* then the manger will lose against an unfair dismissal claim. If the manger does not know that he is either an idiot or incompetent. It is like something one learns about in the first year of business school.

My teenage son worked at McD - There are defined procedures for everything; there WILL also be a very detailed and specific procedure for escalating discipline up to dismissal in the "staff management handbook" that will have the paper trail that the law requires. Obviously, a manager getting creative and deviating from the Word of The Lord is considered a career-limiting failure within the franchise.

35. adam payne

If she had no previous warnings then a verbal warning would have done.

36. DJ Smiley
    Angel

Maths Fail..

"The profligate Ms Finch, before she was given her McMarching orders, was earning around £180 a week. Even on that impressive salary, it would take her a tad over two years to repay the freebie chocolate bill."

Not really.

Mc Donalds profits come from paying customers, so how long would it take them to make a profit above her wages. If we concider they are timed to provide everything, a meal in 3 minutes at a cost of £4.99; she works 30 hours a week and maybe is providing meals for .....

Pfft I can't be bothered to do the math but you can see why your calcuation was fatally wrong.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Humour fail.

You may have missed the point where they used the cost of fine Ecuadorian after-dinner chocolate as a cheap dig at McDonald's's claim to only use the "finest" ingredients....

37. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

Wow the cheek

Given their cheap coke syrup costs less than 1p a litre and they sell it at around 200p a half litre. Mounsey is taking the piss.

Wow what a place to work. what a man to work for, he is in the Ryanair school of management.

38. ravenviz Silver badge
    Facepalm

it would take her a tad over two years to repay the freebie chocolate bill

I suspect every miscreant could contribute, not just the one.

39. ravenviz Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

This is a bit harsh, I am sure a reminder of the policies would suffice. I suspect a hidden agenda.

40. thesykes

Wouldn't be surprised if the little plaque stating who operates the franchise has a new name on it in the near future. Don't think McDonald's will be all that impressed with having their name dragged through the mud by this idiot,

41. The FunkeyGibbon
    FAIL

Great PR!

I wonder what the difference in value between that tiny amount of chocolate and the negative PR is in terms of pounds sterling? The wastage alone on spillages from the shit delivery system they use for McSlurry's is greater than the 'crime' committed here.

42. SpaMster
    Megaphone

I think the more important question is who the hell told the management she'd done this? they must really hate her for some reason

43. Crisp

How do McDonalds ever manage to make a profit!

I'm sure that Ms Finch never intended for the owners of the franchise to go hungry.

44. garry_r
    Stop

That's it, I'm done...

The standard of writing here is driving me to distraction..... why /must/ you keep writing in the style of crappy tabloid news papers.

"McMisdemeanour, McJob...."

"Llangunnor tentacle of the fast-food monolith"

"The recipient of the sugary treat was, mercifully, paying for the dessert, so presumably escaped a plank-walking."

"McMagnificent "

"McMarching orders"

I'm don'e here.... if I want to read non-news stories written in this appalling style... I'll go buy The Sun.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: That's it, I'm done...

"The standard of writing here is driving me to distraction..... why /must/ you keep writing in the style of crappy tabloid news papers."

Um, we are a red-top tabloid news outlet.

C.

1. garry_r

Maybe I've outgrown you then, been reading The Reg for years and it's NEVER been this bad...

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: That's it, I'm done...

Lester has been writing for The Reg for years, if not longer than a decade. I'm not sure you can tame his amusing tabloid style.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's in a bootnotes article so it's fine. In the tech related articles the style seems to be more subtly used and I can't say it has ever distracted me from the patty of the subject in question.

2. That Awful Puppy
      Pint

You must be heaps of fun to be around.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

McHeaps of fun, for sure

1. Alister
          Facepalm

Lester Haines wrote:

>>HcHeaps of fun, for sure

...and it was going so well...

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Sorted. The problem is, I'm starving and have run out of bacon...

3. Psyx
      WTF?

"That's it, I'm done...

The standard of writing here is driving me to distraction..... why /must/ you keep writing in the style of crappy tabloid news papers."

Why *must* you keep reading Bootnote articles with Punny titles?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"That's it, I'm done..."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

45. Alan Brown Silver badge

McDs and franchising

The only restaurants McD's actually operate in the UK are the few which were originally setup when the brand arrived and a few others which were taken over in the wake of customer food poisoning events (franchisees cutting corners in the 80s resulted in several deaths).

Everything else is franchised, and franchisees can be pretty nasty pieces of work. In all likelihood she was about to turn 20 (therefore qualifying for full wages), working enough hours to have been classified as a fulltime employee and about to hit the 2 year mark, or thought to be a union member, therefore the order would have come down to get rid of her by any means possible (Franchisees have been known to threaten employees with immediate dismissal if they join a union and some go further, with threats of violence, etc.)

Digging a little deeper into Lonetree's employee turnover would probably be warranted, but I can't see the UK's employment courts doing that. It's a job for Kenyon.

1. Smithson
      Thumb Up

Re: McDs and franchising

"customer food poisoning events"

I must remember not to go to one of those.

46. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Very Poor Service

I did go into a McDonalds once, but after finding a table and waiting for 10 minutes for somebody to come and take my order, I gave up and went elsewhere.

1. Mephistro
      Coat

Re: Very Poor Service

I once phoned them to reserve a table and they hanged on me!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Re: Very Poor Service

You found a table?

I stood for nigh on half an hour and nobody directed me to a table!

When I saw an empty table, it was wiped down but there were no knives, forks, napkins, salt, condiments nor wine glasses placed down.

There were no menus on the tables either. Not even a wine list.

The serving hatch seemed to very busy, there appeared to be a lot of people queueing up presumably to complain. Strangely they seemed to walk away with these little boxes, presumably cigars to keep them quiet.

47. No, I will not fix your computer
    Boffin

Gross misconduct.....

The manager is on dodgy grounds, while instant dismissal is legal for gross misconduct, it's not sufficient to say "we consider X to be gross misconduct, you did X, you have committed gross misconduct", otherwise any company could say "having a shoelace untied is gross misconduct" or "being too happy is gross misconduct" it has to be proportionate, yes "stealing" is obviously wrong, but being a bit generous when there are other examples would imply vicarious liability, obviously if the manager was specific "giving an extra portion away without paying for it not authorised by a shift leader or manager will result in instant dismissal" then she won't have a leg to stand on, but if the culture exists already then she was actng "reasonably", if, however she had been previously warned (about a similar level of transgression) then she won't be successful, it's irrelevant if the paperwork says one thing if the culture does something different.

1. Spoonsinger
      IT Angle

Re: Gross misconduct.....

Indeed, the manager of that particular "franchise" is on dodgy ground. Seems odd, (and newsified), that someone with previously good working record is immediately dismissed for something which doesn't seem to be gross misconduct, when under UK law it takes circa three warnings of such offenses to get canned, (with all the rigmarole the employer has to go through in between). Is there more to this story? (and yes, as the top poster pointed out - WTFHTGTDWIT? - new off the top of my acronym should catch on).

1. MrMcginty

Gross misconduct is grounds for summary dismissal. You don't need three warnings, which you DO need to can someone for lesser forms of misconduct.

By coincidence a mate of mine wants to pop into McDonalds with me today, an unpleasant happening at the best of times, and made the more sour by this piece.

I'll have the fries - it's about the only thing they do (apart from milkshakes) that doesn't - usually - look sad and depressed when compared to the menu pictures.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Fries... When they are good, they are excellent.

When they are bad, they are unbelievably awful.

Sadly, the balance is such that getting good fries is a reason for excitement. If any McManager is reading this, here are a few suggestions:

1. Whatever shitty cheap-ass cooking oil you've been using for about the past two years (I live in France, by the way), CHANGE IT. The chips are good when hot, but anything less than hot turns them into this slimy muck that is about as appealing as eating a raw slug.

2. Teach your employees NOT to fill the chip box by pressing up on the bottom (to fit less in) and to then shake off not only the loose chips, but most of the top layer. I have been served a large chips that contained about as many chips as a small serving should contain, and yes, picture on my blog. Given a large chips retails for something like €2,50, you can fill the damn container.

3. Stop this annoying concept where the McGirl will fill up the chip box and then leave it on the rack for minutes while the rest of the order is prepared. I now tend to order a CBO because I'm fed up of the crappy burgers (those changed too, about 4-5 years ago), and thanks to food poisoning concerns, you need to cook the chicken fresh; and in some cases it can take the incompetent employees over six minutes to prepare at a time when I'm the only person being served. And my chips, not having been made fresh but there from whenever, are plucked out and left in the container, on the rack, for that length of time. Given their ease of spoiling, chips should be the last thing served.

4. Weren't there rules on how long stuff should be left? I have waited in queues and seen the same pile of chips there for far longer than should be reasonable. I have also seen a Big Mac waiting for 12 minutes (I advised my mother to order something different) and it was finally given to a drive-thru customer after our orders had been completed, so I think we're talking something in the order of 20+ minutes.

5. I know you time how long it takes to fulfil orders passed through the automatic terminal. My usual serving time is around 600 seconds. So much for the fast option. Why don't you make the terminals spit out a receipt that the customer can keep that actually lists how long it took to complete? Maybe this might prompt them to get their act together. I doubt it, but I can hope...

And, no, I don't want to hear that "it is a franchise". I know that. But when I go into an 'm' I expect some consistency (and I don't mean "uniformly crap"), so why not do a drive to get the McManagers to read the goddamn McManual and follow it.

The word you are looking for is "lackadaisical". The word I am looking for is "dissatisfied".

Bootnote: Out here in rural France, there are not so many choices for when to eat out-of-hours unless you want the expensive "Buffalo Grill" or some back-street joint that specialises in andouilles (if you don't know these, consider yourself lucky). I quite like the CBO. As you might have guessed, I don't like rancid chips. And why did you kill off rootbeer circa 1993?

48. JaitcH
    WTF?

McBarf's allegedly only uses the finest ingredients

Really?

Take a read of government hamburger meat specifications which permits amounts of faeces, hair, bone-chips, etc.

And they throw in veins, ears, lips, etc. - all beef, you know.

And good quality chocolate is supposed to have around 6% of bug parts in it.

Mmm, finger licking good?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: McBarf's allegedly only uses the finest ingredients

This is an outrage! That stuff belongs in sausages!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

You've obviously never looked up the allowable maggot content in creamed corn or tomato puree (or the allowable finger content in Ketchup), never mind that most of the product going down those lines is spoiled and/or rotten.

my mother worked in a cannery during holidays when she was a student. As a result she refuses to allow such things in the house.

McD's cooking guidelines kills everything nasty and ensures you won't get food poisoning (so did the cannery's cooking process, but the issue with my mother is memoryies of the smell) - unless franchisees cut corners and reduce the cooking times, which _has_ killed people (ditto KFC, sometimes known as "KanChukupLater" or "Kentucky Fried Rat")

Thankfully some franchisees take their responsibilities seriously - and so do McDs as a rule. Bad franchisees tend to cause bad reputations. My rule of thumb is that If the employees don't look vaguely happy in a chain outlet, go elsewhere.

1. Mephistro
        Devil

Re: McBarf's allegedly only uses the finest ingredients (@ Alan Brown)

" My rule of thumb is that If the employees don't look vaguely happy in a chain outlet, go elsewhere."

If the get the kind of salaries discussed here and they look vaguely happy, they are probably into drugs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: McBarf's allegedly only uses the finest ingredients (@ Alan Brown)

I don't think so. Drugs are expensive, unless you grow your own.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Flame

"KanChukupLater" or "Kentucky Fried Rat"

I prefer Unlucky Fried Kitten.....

icon for flame grilling.

3. Vic

> specifications which permits amounts of faeces, hair, bone-chips, etc.

Try working in the food industry for a while. Contaminants are a fact of life. Everything you eat contains something you don't want to eat. Usually, you just don't know about it.

> And they throw in veins, ears, lips, etc. - all beef, you know.

If you don't want to eat MRM, buy somehting else. It's available, but ti costs more.

Vic.

49. Peter Johnstone
    Thumb Down

Fast Food Franchises

I don't see the attraction with these places. Cheep supermarket burgers taste better than McDonalds. If I didn't have kids I'd never go anywhere near these place. Where do they get that awful cheese? It tastes like it's made from melted down carrier bags.

I did once have a really nice KFC though, in Beihai park in Beijing which is no longer there. They had altered their menu to suit Chinese tastes though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Fast Food Franchises

Why use them?

Many of us find ourselves on the move up and down the country doing long journeys at odd hours of the day. As hateful as McDonalds are, they do a passable coffee at a price lower than the chains and offer free wi-fi which can be a godsend.

In addition they don't fleece you like some outlets. At the services McDonalds seem to keep their prices at the same level as the high street whereas Burger King or the services restaurant charge twice the going rate.

I travel alot and have had some truly revolting meals on the road. McDonalds may in the main be shit but you at least know what you are getting and it won't be pricey. It also shouldn't have been sitting around for hours due to their rather stringent binning policy.

At 10.30pm on a wet Tuesday night on the A34, McDonalds is the least worst option.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but you at least know what you are getting and it won't be pricey"

The same logic by which you find yourself eating Fray Bentos (even Goblin brand) Steak and Kidney pies for tea, pot noodles for lunch and tinned rice pudding anytime of the day.

and I agree 100%- sometimes consistency weighs out over other considerations.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I keep a couple of Fray Bentos pies and a packet of Smash in the cupboard for "emergencies". That stuff never goes off. A winter like we had 2 years ago and I might be grateful for it!

Horses for courses!

1. Vic

> That stuff never goes off.

Do you also have a quantity of dogs' milk? Dogs' milk lasts longer than any other type of milk...

Vic.

Dogs' milk lasts longer than any other type of milk...

7x longer?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fast Food Franchises @ Mr C Hill

Try KFC, the coffee is better and usually not that pricy compared to BK (interesting that I rarely see anyone eating at the Burger King at the service station I stop at, but KFC always has customers..

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fired for swapping burger for fish.

I recall reading about an employee getting fired for swapping her free real-reconstituted-meat burger for a fish from the joint next door. Apparently the MSM isn't considered your own property until it egresses the consumer.

51. Jude Bradley

???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgH6C1itI08&feature=related

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

seen her picture?

I've got a McJob for her and it involves sprinkles. All over her "very welcoming" smile.

Seriously, she should look on the bright side. She's been fired from a crappy job and gifted an opportunity to take the McFucks for a lot of McCash.

As a bonus, she'll never have to see that McPrick of an ex-boss again either.

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So McDonalds has done what was necessary to uphold the integrity of the McFlurry system. Miss Finch will have to settle for a job trading interest-rate derivatives at RBS.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

news flash

easy for surf to get fired from shit low paid job

55. Bill Fresher

"Since McDonald's allegedly only uses the finest ingredients, presumably similar, for example, to Dark Origin Ecuador (£3.50 for 50g at today's online market price), the potential hit to the company coffers is a McMagnificent £18,900 per annum."

However, if the employees buying McFlurries weren't satisfied with their sprinkles and stopped buying them the company would be out £1.40 x 740 x 365 = £378,140 a year.

56. Johan Bastiaansen
    Devil

Would you like fries with that?

This is the new economy, stupid.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes McD's is a starting point for many in IT, it is a good way to earn a bit of cash while studying..

Considering I've seen managers wipe a burger on the floor before serving it to someone who was being a bit of an ass, I would no longer eat any food at MuckyD's

I see her winning her case anyway, and I look forward to the day McD's is sued out of existence...

58. lukewarmdog
    FAIL

Mounsey

“You may feel that it is trivial, but with 740 employees in my business then if my management team were just to overlook such incidents then quickly it would become a free for all."

So, all of the employees are criminals and the only way to keep them in check is to scapegoat the odd one, now and then? Classism, racism, stereotyping, work place bullying.. won't somebody think about the children?

59. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
    Gimp

The good old days.... yeah I remember those

My grandfather worked most of his life for a Fortune 500 where he enjoyed a very successful career. He even wrote a book about it. He strongly believed that treating employees like human beings was the secret to building a successful company.

But before that golden era, he spent a brief, dark period working as a clerk in an accounting firm. This was back in the 1920s, BTW.

One of his favorite stories was about their accounting office manager. This martinet insisted that employees lift their finger (just like in primary school) whenever they needed to go to the loo. You can imagine the rest of that dickhead's management style. The fact this behavior was considered asinine even in the 1920s kind of says it all.

Personally, I believe this McManager fellow is representative of the new/old dysfunctional-economy McManager. McManagers don't buy into any of this touchy-feely "people-management" human stuff but can still quote and apply a mean rule book. They are great people to have on the team, particularly if you are trying to destroy a team.

I suspect there were also many such no-style, no-imagination guys around during the years leading up to the Great Depression. But people like him are not really fit to manage a customer service organization because their management style eventually trickles down to the rest of the staff. Eventually this leads their companies and shareholders into ruin, unless they are removed first.

In the 1930s, people called them "spotters" I have no idea what they are called today but I am sure fellow Reg-readers can provide a few choice epithets.

McManagment proponents need to be weeded out now, before the rot grows and they start giving employee-management seminars.

After flipping a few thousand burgers, some might even learn humility and become fit to manage.

Personally, I hope that Ms. Finch gets a lot of money and promoted and that McManager gets relieved of his cushy franchise job.

Ideally, he would first be sent to a personal awareness course where people dressed as HamBurglers catch him while he is falling...... probably his worst nightmare...!

1. fajensen
      Coat

Re: The good old days.... yeah I remember those

McManagment proponents need to be weeded out now, before the rot grows and they start giving employee-management seminars.

Too Late - Where do you think the government is coming from these days? Recognize any traits!?

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slop buckets!

Worked in McD's as a first part time job as a kid (25 years ago).

I left after the practice of using 'slop buckets' to throw waste food and liquids at each junior staff members resulted in me getting covered in grease, slop and food waste. Nice.

They paid me off with £50.

I hope the pricks at McShite get reamed for every penny in compensation they can get.

61. Steve Medway
    Joke

There is no standard for such measures

“There is no standard for such measures - they are always imprecise and will vary among customers."

That's pretty ballsy thing to say.... McDonald's would pay millions to defend itself against this accusation.

Why? Purely to prove that it's not contravening the Food Labelling Regulations Act.... All that extra undisclosed choc might cause a fatty to sue McD's for false reporting of mc flurry choc content ;-)

Let's wait for the McLibel v2 after the tribunal ;-)

1. Bill Fresher

Re: There is no standard for such measures

Depends what they mean by "standard measure" --- eg. for chips they just scoop a bunch into one of the chip packs: how standard could the weight of a medium pack of chips be?

62. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit harsh considering her excellent record up to that point

Surely a warning for a first offence and if she does it again then dismiss her.

63. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would you like...

...fries with your Pink slip?

In all fairness she probably knew better and was warned about these types of things in the past - as are all McD employees. If you want a job, then you play by the rules. She got a lesson in life. Maybe in her next burger job she'll be more attentive to the rules.

Re: Would you like...

Given that she actually had an above average record I suspect the opposite is true - she had good judgement, always something worth preserving.

Personally I hope she doesn't enter into a doorstop settlement and pushes it fully into court. She will win.

This topic is closed for new posts.