back to article Now LG Display smacks Samsung with patent lawsuit over OLED

LG Display filed a retaliatory patent lawsuit against Samsung today over OLED tech used in Sammy's smartphones and tablets. LG told a press conference that it was claiming that Sammy had infringed on seven of its display patents, just a few weeks after Samsung filed in Seoul claiming more or less the same thing about LG, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Global Thermonuclear Litigation

Oh Apple, what have you started?

1. VinceH
      Mushroom

Re: Global Thermonuclear Litigation

Icon says it all.

2. ForthIsNotDead
    Unhappy

Meh

I think it would be better if they just all sued each other into oblivion. Then maybe the lawyers would wither on the vine, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet people say Sony, Microsoft, Apple & co are evil...

Yet here we have Samsung using stolen code on stolen technology

1. HMB

Re: And yet people say Sony, Microsoft, Apple & co are evil...

"Yet here we have Samsung using stolen code on stolen technology"

When you put it like that it makes me realise that they are copying Apple after all. Damn...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On Tursday 27th September at 13:10 an Anonymous Coward said, "Yet here we have Samsung using stolen code on stolen technology"

Ah yes*, the 'Matthew Hopkins Principle' at work, where accusation alone is enough to constitute the desired proof of malefactory and otherwise villainous deeds. Splendid! 1645 here we come again. Isn't progress great?

*Assuming your comment is addressing the article itself and not other recent events.

3. streaky
      Black Helicopters

"Yet here we have Samsung using stolen code on stolen technology"

This is just begging for Samsung to sue you for libel, be more smart.

4. HMB

Litigation's Good

It's an LG joke people, don't get too angry. :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Litigation's Good

"It's an LG joke people, don't get too angry"

LG, litigations great!

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Or, perhaps it could be Lawyer's Gold or Legal Grasping.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Or "Suing And More Suing Until No Good"...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heads The Lawyers Win

Tails the consumer loses.

6. JaitcH
    Stop

The American game of stupidity spreads

Time for WIPO to step in and stop this nonsense.

7. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Hmm. Clarification wanted.

LG is talking about patents.

Samsung is talking about trade secrets.

I wonder what happens if you obtain a trade secret from somebody, and then file a patent on it. Because the original was a trade secret, the originator could not claim prior art because there is a real possibility that someone else could have developed the technology in isolation. They would have to prove some form of industrial espionage and get the patent re-assigned, but I'm not even sure whether industrial espionage is a chargeable offence.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Hmm. Clarification wanted.

That is the risk of going with trade secrets rather than patents. Patents are protected in return for releasing the information about it to the world. A trade secret isn't released to the world, so the inventor keeps it to themselves - but only as long as whatever it is isn't leaked.

Regarding the question about what the legal position of the trade (ex-) secret holder is vis-a-vis a patent holder who got hold of the secret, in general, they are screwed, though, as long as the evidence is there that they did indeed invent it but chose to keep it secret, it is unlikely that they will be liable for damages. It effectively puts the tech into the public domain, since prior art can be demonstrated, so the patent isn't valid.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange, I thought LG's phones always had IPS screens, their latest flagship is IPS.

Wikipedia lists only 2 LG phones with OLED screens, vs Samsung's legion.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aaand in other news

Gagagg'hava'o"£! of the Grey Alliance is suing the Planet Earth for 500 billion dollars in damages for copying the technology on the Roswell craft that crashed in New Mexico in 1947.

AC/DC

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

FFS!

This farce is becoming so bad that even Brian Rix (R.I.P.) wouldn't have accepted the script!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Being sued once for the theft of intellectual property is unfortunate, being sued multiple times indicates a pathology.

12. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Thumb Down

But Shirley...

I thought LG's biggest invention was creating a LCD price fixing cartel

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like