back to article Fuming fanbois flood 'flimsy iPhone 5 Wi-Fi' forum

Punters on an Apple support forum claim they are struggling to use Wi-Fi networks with their iOS 6 gadgets. The trouble seems to affect new iPhone 5s as well as iPads and older iPhones updated to the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system. Users of iOS 6, writing under a headline "iPhone 5 wifi issues", reported a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahahaha HAHAHAHAHAHAHA hahahahaha...

(Grabbing BIG box of popcorn)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Woah, hold on there...

At least the phone can't be cropped over to factory reset remotely unlike some other major manufactuer of the robotic type.

1. HMB

Re: Woah, hold on there...

"At least the phone can't be cropped over to factory reset remotely unlike some other major manufactuer of the robotic type."

If you're going to Android bash, do it properly. The latest phones were all patched up before the exploit was publicised. This is all available on XDA.

However, a lefitimate put down on Android would focus on some operators not bothering to roll out this update to their phones because they couldn't be arsed.

Let me redo what you've said:

"At least the phone can't be cropped over to factory reset remotely unlike some other major manufactuer of the robotic type if their phone was resold through a carrier that couldn't be arsed to push updates to the phones in a timely manner."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, no, they weren't patched before the exploit was publicised

I've personally tested on an HTC One X, and a Samsung S3 in the last few days, it worked on both.

Have you done any testing? Or just read forums and think you understand?

1. Hellcat
            Headmaster

"I've personally tested on an HTC One X, and a Samsung S3 in the last few days, it worked on both."

Since it was an exploit with Touchwiz, getting it to work on a HTC is pretty good going!

1 weeks detention in France for you!

1. Steve Todd
              FAIL

Wrong, it's a fault in Android's telephone number recogniser code. It's been patched in the core Android build, but not rolled out to all handsets yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Wrong, it's a fault in Android's telephone number recogniser code. It's been patched in the core Android build, but not rolled out to all handsets yet."

Wrong, it's manufactures overriding the default dialler behaviour of waiting for user confirmation before dialling a number supplied by a 3rd party application. Then adding in special USSD codes to allow wiping of devices. 1+1=vulnerability.

Stock Android has always (I've just tested this on a HTC Magic running 1.6) prompted the user before dialling a number supplied by a 3rd party application.

2. Mr Tumnus

""I've personally tested on an HTC One X, and a Samsung S3 in the last few days, it worked on both."

Since it was an exploit with Touchwiz, getting it to work on a HTC is pretty good going!"

That would be because it WASN'T an exploit with Touchwiz .....

That was also kind of my point, that you entirely missed :)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Actually, no, they weren't patched before the exploit was publicised

I've personally tested on an HTC One X, and a Samsung S3 in the last few days, it worked on both."

Personally yes, I've tested on an S3 (not affected) and an S2 (affected) - although the S2 update hasn't been pushed yet apparently.

The point you should take away from this is your, or my results are irrelevant in answering the question "were the phones patched" because there are far too many variables. I wish people would realise this before threads end up with hundreds of "mine's vulnerable, it's a lie", "mine's not, it's not a lie" type of pointless arguments. For example:

What country are you in? What network are you on? What revision is your phone? What build is your OS? Is the phone an operator phone or just bundled by a 3rd party with an operator package? etc. etc. etc.

2. Ben 54

Um, that one was fixed with an update. Lets see how long this one takes to fix. And lets not forget the maps.

3. Wade Burchette
        Stop

@AC #1. "At least the phone can't be cropped over to factory reset remotely unlike some other major manufactuer of the robotic type."

You missed the point. Apple likes to pretend their product are perfect and just "work". Apple works hard to maintain that persona and the iSheep believe every word Apple says like God talking to Moses. Of course I realize not everyone who uses Apple products is an iSheep because they do make a good product. The ones I'm laughing at are the ones who actually believe Apple is perfect and can do no wrong and that owning their products somehow makes you better.

2. Robot

If your post is meant to laugh at those who have WiFi problems...

they won't be able to read it anyway.

3. Psyx
      Facepalm

Remind me again why people buy Tranche 1 tech products, before all the issues are resolved?

1. Faqinel

All tech products are Tranche 1

All tech products are Tranche 1 nowadays and riddled with faults, both soft and hard. A couple of half arsed patches to silence press grumblings and it's on to the next big thing. My last couple of purchases (Transformer Prime and iPhone 4s) resulted in deep self loathing. Once that subsides, no doubt I'll be seduced by the next shiny piece of crap.

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt,14309/

1. Psyx
          Go

Re: All tech products are Tranche 1

"All tech products are Tranche 1 nowadays and riddled with faults, both soft and hard... My last couple of purchases (Transformer Prime and iPhone 4s) resulted in deep self loathing. Once that subsides, no doubt I'll be seduced by the next shiny piece of crap."

That's only true because you make it true yourself. Sit back: Wait, watch, find the product that works properly in the wild and let track record seduce you rather than the glitz of a new product, and then let the prices half when rumours of the new one come out. You end up with a good product, for half the price.

Two years ago you didn't need a phone that you could speak to and it could reply by telling you where the nearest curry house was*, so what changed on the i4s announcement that *made* you need it?

If rush-buying isn't making you happy and giving you the product you want, then take a step back from it.

I've got a great phone, that works, that cost a quarter of the price of friend's phones and that will last me at least three years... all because I wasn't in a rush to get something the moment it was released, and had no particular product bias in mind when purchasing.

*Unless you are in the UK, and then it can't...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Just use Android, not that big of a deal."

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hahahaha HAHAHAHAHAHAHA hahahahaha... (Grabbing BIG box of popcorn)

A manic laughing empty headed donkey, must be a mid-range android user!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple "bad bad users, its all your fault. You aren't using the Iphone correctly"

7. Robot

Re: Hahaha! Don't laugh too hard ...

or you may choke on your popcorn.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the chances they're just holding the phone wrong?

1. HMB

It's got to be that because Apple products "just work".

2. solidsoup
      Trollface

Let's try this again

This is exactly like that sticking USB-connector non-issue. Wireless networking is notoriously subjective and finicky. All kinds of things, from industrial generators to adult toys, can cause a lot of interference. Most of the current wireless APs use the unfinished 'N' standard, potentially causing compatibility issues with future hardware - just like it seems happened in this case. I bet that WiFi works just fine for people who use the current generation of Apple Time Capsule. Some people, like the Reg, will always blame Apple, even though there's plenty of other hardware that can potentially be blamed. Either make sure all your WiFi hardware is standard-compliant or find yourself another phone. This isn't Apple's problem..

1. Pat 4

Re: Let's try this again

" This isn't Apple's problem.."

WTF are you talking about??? Of COURSE it's Apple's problem!\

1. HMB

@solidsoup

Yes, 802.11n was in draft for 4 years and that is kind of funny, but it got finalized in 2009.

It's 2012 this year FYI.

And I know, I know, Netgear still can't manage to do 802.11n without it dropping or something. I think that's why some mischievous little bastard recommended them to Virgin to make SuperHubs.

(I bought some high end Netgear equipment in late 2011 and that had great throughput, but mysteriously once every 15 mins or so the signal would drop, no issues on other kit it was Netgear's fault.)

1. solidsoup
            Happy

Sarcasm, hence the icon. The post is exactly like the sarcastic one I made ab. USB issue. With similar results :P

1. Ignazio
              Trollface

Maybe sarcasm standards are not finalized yet?

2. Davidoff

Most of the current wireless APs use the unfinished 'N' standard

Nope. 802.11n has been ratified quite a while ago (and most Draft n devices got a firmware update).

"causing compatibility issues with future hardware "

Utter nonsense. If a new device claims compatibility with 11n then it has to work with 11n, period. If it doesn't then it's defective.

"just like it seems happened in this case."

Seems you have no f*****g clue what you're talking about.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Neither the latest ipad or iphone 4s will connect to my g wireless network. Everything else does! It's an Apple problem.

3. jai

inaccurate headline

new iPhone 5s as well as iPads and older iPhones

So actually, it's an iOS6 issue then, not iPhone 5 specifically?

Such poor reporting is to be expected in the hoi poloi presses, but this is a technical news website, one would hope that the reporter was at least a little bit technically literate to understand these things.

1. badmonkey

Re: inaccurate headline

I thought the article made that perfectly clear. The headline section that you're referring to is in quotes, further clarified in the article text as being the title of the forum on the Apple discussion site. If the whinging fanbois get it wrong, why should they be misquoted?

Maybe you're the one with literacy problems.

1. jai

I thought the article made that perfectly clear. The headline section that you're referring to is in quotes, further clarified in the article text as being the title of the forum on the Apple discussion site. If the whinging fanbois get it wrong, why should they be misquoted?

But that's not the case. The forum title is "iPhone 5 wifi issues" (as mentioned within the article).

But the headline quotes this as "flimsy iPhone 5 Wi-Fi"

Anna has taken the liberty of capitalising and hyphenating the word wifi AND adding the word 'flimsy' to the front in order to further her own anti-Apple agenda. If she's not going to quote the name of the forum correctly in the headline, then why bother quoting it at all, and instead could accurately represent the facts within the headline, instead of using 'iPhone 5' to artificially draw in clicks and Google search results.

As you say, the article itself is fine - it's the headline i've taken exception to as that's where the errors are.

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Stop

Re: to further her own anti-Apple agenda

There's as many people on here claiming The Register loves Apple (because of the 90% in the iPhone review) as there are claiming they have an anti-Apple agenda.

Could it be that you are the one with the agenda and the site is actually refreshing cynical about all manufacturers?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Its a report that states that, on the iphone 5 forum, there are reports of wifi issues.

It also states that it is not only an iphone problem (even though there are reports on the iphone forum).

Why ado you find this so difficult to understand?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Joke

@AC

"Why ado you find this so difficult to understand?"

Well, I suppose it could be possible his iphone only picked up bits and pieces from the conversation due to connectivity issues.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

@jai

Well if you've got your iPhone 5 running iOS 5 without any WiFi problems, then bully for you, but all the other iPhone 5 users seem to have iOS 6.

3. Franklin

"So actually, it's an iOS6 issue then, not iPhone 5 specifically?"

It seems to be.

I experienced this problem when I upgraded an iPad to iOS 6. However, not being content with just grousing about it, and having the problem on my home WiFi network but not on other WiFi networks, I set out to do some trial and error to try to track down exactly what was happening.

First bit of faffing quickly showed that the problem went away if I used WPA or WEP encryption or no encryption at all, but appeared if I used WPA2.

I'd also been having trouble with my Mac desktop losing signal from my home router, so replaced the router for that reason and found--surprise!--that the connectivity problems with the iPad went away, even with WPA2.

So I invited a bunch of friends with various gizmos over and played a game of swap-the-routers, and here's what I found:

iPhone 5 running iOS 6:

Would not connect to an Asus router with WPA2. Would connect with WPA or WEP, or no security.

Connected with a Netgear router using WPA2, WPA, and WEP.

Connected to a Linksys router using WPA2, WPA, and WEP.

iPad running iOS 5:

Connected to an Asus router with WPA2, WPA, and WEP.

Same iPad running iOS 6:

Would not connect to an Asus router with WPA2. Would connect with WPA or WEP, or no security; signal always showed as weak.

iMac running OS X 10.6.8:

Would not connect reliably to an Asus router with WPA2. (connection dropped every fifteen minutes or so.) Would connect with WPA or WEP, or no security, but with some reliably problems.

iMac running OS X 10.8.1:

Would not connect to an Asus router with WPA2. Would connect with WPA or WEP, or no security, but the connection dropped often.

Dell laptop running Windows 7 (Home, I think)

Would not connect to an Asus router *at all*, regardless of security settings. Tried everything.

Dell laptop running Windows Vista; internal WiFi broken, using a cheapie no-name WiFi dongle:

No-name desktop running Windows XP:

Dell desktop running Windows 7 home:

Nintendo Wii:

Would not connect to an Asus router with WPA2. Did connect with WPA or WEP, but connection kept dropping.

Sony Playstation 3:

Conclusions:

1. Yes, there is a problem in iOS 6. For me, at least, it seems related to WPA2 on certain routers. Folks aren't making it up; the problem is there.

2. The router/WPA2 combination problem isn't (necessarily) unique to Apple.

3. Asus routers are a bit rubbish.

4. badmonkey
    Holmes

Something to do with AP location fixing, surely

the phone can't tell where the AP is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Something to do with AP location fixing, surely

Good point, given the questionable ability of the maps application it may be worth getting users to check if they are actually where they think they are. The missing access points could be put down to being in the wrong house, street, city, country etc...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

weird

There always seems to be a panic over fubar wifi for every major phone release. My S3 didn't suffer the apparently widespread problems, and my iPad 3 is fine with Wifi under iOS6 too (though something horrible seems to have happened to the maps app).

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: weird

It wouldn't be an Apple OS if you didn't have to wait till MacOS X 10.x.2 or iOS x.1 to get stable wifi, even if it worked perfectly the previous release.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tim Cook answered this guy's plea !

http://bpmredux.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/tim-cook-shows-youre-never-to-big-to-respond-to-the-little-guy/

You've got to raise it with Apple directly, their Support Forums are just awash with self-serve advice. Unless you get an AppleCare reference then it won't get looked at. Plus the original wifi issues were drowned out with the website ping.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tim Cook answered this guy's plea !

That article is a bit strange. What evidence does the guy have that the email was on a computer anywhere near Tim Cook?

1. theopriestley

Err...because it was sent to Tim directly and he forwarded it to the Apple Exec Relations team in Ireland !

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, you sent it to Tim Cook's email address. How do you know that it didn't hit someone employed to deal with his email who kicked it to the care team? Your post doesn't seem to explain.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problems on iPhone 4S and iOS6

It was just the initial page thingy where Apple forgot to switch a page on. :-)

It's working perfectly fine now.

8. Justice
    Trollface

Silly iSheep...

It's a 'feature'.

Wireless Auto-Drop. © Apple - Patent Pending. All Rights Reserved.

1. HMB
      Trollface

Re: Silly iSheep...

I hear they're going to sue other devices makers with bad WiFi but so far no one has done as bad.

2. 404

Re: Silly iSheep...

heh... saves resources thus maximizing battery life, just have to tweak it a little...

;)

9. Rupert Stubbs

Where are these fuming fanbois, eh?

They're certainly not flooding the Macintosh Achinaea Forum in Ars Technica - which is where the reasonably knowledgeable Apple folk congregate. I'm pretty sure if there was a really widespread issue it would have been mentioned there.

So is there a real, intrinsic, problem? Or is it just the law of large numbers throwing out the tiny fraction of the millions of new iPhone 5 owners who do have some discrete manufacturing issue (and add those who just don't know how to set up a WiFi network)?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Where are these fuming fanbois, eh?

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you saying the problem doesn't exist because it hasn't been posted on your particular haunt. Or are the 'smart' patrons of said haunt not familiar with hyperlinks?

Either way, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?tstart=0

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

No, he's saying that 730/5,000,000 (0.01%) does not make it a general problem. You'd expect an early failure rate of more than that for pretty well any electronic device you care to mention.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well not everyone is going to post on a forum to say "me too". I had someone bring along 2 iPads to a pavillion opening night who couldn't connect to our WiFi.

They had recently upgraded to IOS6. All the Android Phones and Windows laptops people in the vicinity had were working fine (no one with an iPhone to try). The WiFi was in AP mode and I changed the security settings (already on open), the radio type B/G, the channel (was always in the international range). Nothing would allow it to connect.

1. Steve Todd
            Stop

And many of those 730 posts are from the same users. Your point being?

If it was a general problem there'd be a lot more Internet chatter on multiple forums, not just there. There are going to be SOME 5s with faulty WiFi due to the law of averages. There are going to be some people with poor WiFi setups that they will blame on the 5. There are probably some bugs in the WiFi stack in iOS 6 (it's hard to find any code that is 100% bug free), but the combined numbers don't yet add up to a significant blip.

2. Nick Pettefar

Our iPad 2 & 3 work fine with WiFi on IOS6.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well Apple said a fix is coming so that pretty much excludes the possibility of a hardware problem. So this means that it's a software issue and from the sound of things it is related to particular encryption protocols. As these are written up in standards then yes, it is a general problem.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps it's using the new Maps feature to find them....

....and it thinks the Wifi is 200 miles away?!

11. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    FAIL

Apple fail Muppets

Some of our staff decided to upgrade to iOS6 on the day of release (muppets!)

The iPads subsequently couldn't connect to our corporate WiFi.

It seems that iOS6 has a bug (a big one from the sound of it).

I fixed the problem temporarily by installing earlier firmware in our WiFi Access Point.

When Apple release the fix I can bring the Access Point back up to date.

Looks to me like an issue with encryption and WMM.

Finally, I STRONGLY advised the muppets to wait a few weeks before installing brand new software in future.

Do I think they'll remember? <LOL>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple fail Muppets

So they're on ios 6, like they wanted to be, and you've done extra work to accomodate them?

You sure showed those muppets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suppose it depends whether those staff happen to include your boss...

... and it's getting towards the time of year when your pay-rise is up for review.

2. Tom 7

with the highly insecure encryption you've just backdated to they'll be hacked into oblivion by then.

3. Rubber chicken

No - I spent this morning on this and it is not an iOS6 bug, although it is a pain they didn't better announce it.

They've deprecated older versions of TLS so if you've not kept your system up to date and don't support TLSv1.2 then there is your peoblem.

That will be $10000 please.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Big_Boomer

There is a point here.

Sometimes the small children playing with their new shiny toys need to be protected from the sharp edges. Adults get to take the toys away on occasion to protect their little developing minds.

Just because you have the skills and ability to downgrade your access port does not mean you should do it. I can see your puppy dog tail wagging as you showed them how clever you were getting them back on line.

Do you think anything will change when IOS7 comes along? They will just shout at you louder for their own stupidity in installing day one operating systems.

Will you please think of the children next time! They need protecting from their own tiny developing minds.

Bastard Operator From Hell is shaking his head at your failed opportunity to screw the bosses over this time around.

12. Dave McEneaney
    Go

Same issue

Had major issues with 2 x iPhone 5's connecting to my home network. Would connect, but dropped out at random every few minutes. Solved by changing from WPA2-PSK(AES) to WPA-PSK (WITHOUT AES) - obviously this knocks a load of wireless N features on the head, but works until a fix comes out.

13. Desktop Mobile
    Paris Hilton

I have fix

I have no iPhone 5s and have no problems connecting to wifi...

Must say things are looking up though from the early days when most iPhone users only used the Text/Messages & Phone functions

14. Marty
    Trollface

i wonder if the wireless AP's they are trying to connect to contain Samsung chips? LOL

15. Wolfclaw
    FAIL

Apple Strike Again

It's all true, I switched on a new dual band wireless extender last night and he connected his 4S IOS 6 to 5Ghz and within a minute lost connection, tried various times and it just won't stay connected. Switch to 2.4Ghz rock solid, our 5Ghz laptops stay connected just fine, Apple tech failing agian, no doubt to be followed by the usual PR of everything working as it should and a quick bury of their heads in the sand.

1. Steve Todd
      FAIL

Re: Apple Strike Again

Erm, the 4S doesn't support 5GHz, never has, never will. It's there in black and white on Apple's specs page. Either you're lying or being a pillock.

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

Amazing, I post an easily verifiable fact and someone down votes me. I guess that I could post that the sky is blue and some hater out there would down vote that also.

1. Desktop Mobile
          Holmes

Not sure how much interaction you have with other human beings but if you are going to say to someone:

"Either you're lying or being a pillock."

Don't be surprised if that person down votes you...

Just sayin

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A liar or a pillock ... or maybe innocently mistaken in not realising that his, '5GHz,' setting meant, 'allow 5GHz,' rather than, '5GHz only,' meaning that the router made an abortive attempt to support the legacy Apple system alongside modern networking gear. It's possible but that would also infer that you're a defensive bitch, probably suppressing residual rage from the occasional lucid moments when you become aware that your phone's crap and you're beholden to a company that jams it up your bum with alacrity and vigour every time you turn your back. Go trim your beard while you think about it.

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

The 4S could not ever connect to 5GHz, it simply can't see signals at that frequency. A dual band router normally announces a different SID for the same AP at 5GHz so it should have been obvious that the phone never saw the 5GHz signal. The OP also said that it worked just fine at 2.4GHz so it's not a legacy hardware issue, he also said that it worked fine at 5GHz for a short time - it's this bit that implies that he was either doing something stupid and misinterpreting the results or being economical with the truth.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. mickey mouse the fith
    Trollface

Quality control...

They really should test this stuff before release really.

Maybe Apple should head to the patent office to file `a method of using your customers as unpaid beta testers`

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Quality control...

Sorry, Microsoft have that covered already.

2. Nordrick Framelhammer
      Trollface

Re: Quality control...

Apple don't need to do any quality control. It Just Works!

18. Benchops
    Mushroom

"even though it's unwise to operate an unencrypted Wi-Fi network."

"unwise"? It's fracking mental!

1. ZenCoder

Not that mental ....

I personally don't do this, but I know people who use no password, and instead only allow connections from manually entered MAC addresses.

If she lets person A access her network, they can't give access to B, she can revoke access to anyone at any time without having to reset password in 10 different devices, her visitors don't have to reset passwords.

I know of many cases where someone's wifi password became too well known by their neighbors, and had to be changed. I know of zero cases where someone has had issues with neighbors spoofing their MAC addresses.

Its not how I secure my system ... but its not completely ridiculous either.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not that mental ....

MAC address filtering on an unencrypted network is like sending your password in the clear. MAC address filtering has all the benefits you mention when used with WPA*. Even then the MAC address can be sniffed without much trouble, but without the passphrase not just anyone (with a little knowledge or access to google) can get access to your network.

2. Davidoff
        FAIL

but its not completely ridiculous either.

No, it's absolutely stupid. MAC filtering is useless as *any* means of security , as the MAC is always broadcasted in clear and easy to spoof.

It's as valuabel to network security as hiding your SSID. Soaking your router in holy water would probably be more effective.

2. Soruk
      Coat

Re: "even though it's unwise to operate an unencrypted Wi-Fi network."

>It's fracking mental!

Nice to see I'm not the only one who uses that word (as does my fiancee).

Still, you can never again hear those news reports about earthquakes in Blackpool from the gas extraction with a straight face.

19. Mage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

LTE is working fine?

Since it's not compatible with the majority of LTE bands (and thus most countries), that narrows down the location of the complainant.

He'll soon meet a helicopter.

20. dssf

Just press the reset button with a stylus or pen tip. Or, remove the

battery, wait 20 seconds, then turn on to remove residual power, then reinsert the battery, and power up.

Oh, wait, the battery is not removable....

21. JaitcH
    Thumb Down

Apple is the one who claims it's perfect, that the sun rises and sets in it's nether end ...

And having created the expectation, they get to take the heat.

And Tim Cook can't walk on water, either.

22. bdam
    Holmes

What a fantastic user experience new iPhone users get

They get the user experience of being lost.

They get the user experience of not being able to get a WiFi signal.

They get the user experience of the new adapters they are forced to buy jamming in their sockets.

And of course they get the user experience of not having to carry those pesky full wallets about.

Thats the Apple advantage - its all about the user experience.

1. bdam
      FAIL

Re: What a fantastic user experience new iPhone users get

Missed the user experience of being blamed for it scratching easily:

http://www.autoomobile.com/news/black-iphone-5-scratch-2/1003949/

1. dssf
        Joke

Re: What a fantastic user experience new iPhone users get

Does the expensive scratcher come with a free sniffer? (parfum, non-otc narcotics, or smelling salts, hahaha)

I wonder whether the scratches will start to put a dent in the sales of this model release. Surely this will be a poit release, the 5+M sales paying for the r&d for release 5s....

Did previous iPods scratchi like this iPhone? Would Jobs have allowed the iP5 to ship in this state?

(posting this too unnecessafuckingsarily lomg because android has a mindless cursor response in my htc and gtab, where the cursor insert point goes a line up or a para back rather than WHERE my finger on a clean display lands. Very goddamned maddening!) Forces me to trial-and-error snag the bitch and drag it several times before he stays put. Pisses me OFFFFFFFFF!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well my iPhone and iPad are both on iOS 6 and I must have connected to at least 10-15 different wifi hotspots over the last few days with no issues at all.

24. Wanda Lust
    Go

Not new

iOS devices have been flakey on my WiFi for ever, that includes an iPhone 4S, and iPad and an AppleTV (the first iOS 720p version).

If I look at the router management console I can see they're constantly dropping the connection & renewing it!

I got Apple to exchange an AppleTV over it but the replacement wasn't any better.

I can also confirm that it works fine without security set, either WPA/WPA2 (didn't bother checking WEP).

I live with it, if I want to watch a movie I generally just recycle power on the new tear & it holds out long enough.

1. Steve Todd

Re: Not new

WPA is supposed to negotiate a new key every hour, it's part of the spec in order to prevent hackers from deducing the AES/TKIP key. If your network is running half decently you shouldn't notice it.

The AppleTV (I'm assuming you are talking about the 2nd generation black rectangle) only needs a sustained data rate of 4Mbit/sec to work so you've either got a lot of competing networks on the same frequency or lots of RF noise. Try switching the router to channels 1,6 and 11. See which one works best. If its still not working well (and WiFi in tight urban areas is a problem for everyone) then get a new dual band router that does both 2.4 and 5GHz at the same time. The Apple TV and newer devices will run on the 5GHz band (and the router is required to be able to find its own free channel at 5GHz) leaving 2.4 free for your older devices.

25. john devoy

my iphone4 is almost incapable of holding a wifi signal now, despite the router being less than 20 feet away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@John Devoy

"my iphone4 is almost incapable of holding a wifi signal now, despite the router being less than 20 feet away"

Don't boast, now! Any make of phone can say that if the user has a Virgin Superhub.

Bl00dy Apple users. They think they're so exclusive.

26. Tapeador

You mean "Fruity Phone Fans Fucked" lol

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lululululul

(8888{*}8888)

(8888{*i*}8888)

(8888{*iPh*}8888)

(8888{O}8888)

........> iPhone 5

28. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Problem with wifi?

It'll be the way you're holding it

29. Martin 63
    Happy

Suffering, but iT will get better

1/2 the phones in our house currently have more iSolation. iM sure iT will be solved promptly

30. Stu 18
    Unhappy

think it is the os not necessarily the hardware

Have upgraded an ipod at home and now experiencing wireless connectivity issues.

can you downgrade ios?

31. Unicornpiss
    Thumb Down

This is what happens...

...when you rush something to the marketplace seeing $$$ before fully vetting all the problems. In other words, like Microsoft has been doing to us for decades now.

I have to set up iPhones for overpaid fools at work that see them and go "ooh, shiny!" The more iStuff I have to deal with, especially with Apple's crappy virtual keyboard, the more I'm grateful for my Android device with Swype. A lot of them are coming to the realization that while iPhones and iPads are fun toys, that they actually miss their old Blackberries for texting and email, not to mention battery life. If Apple would release a business-oriented device, they'd probably knock one out of the park, but I'm sure they won't bother while there are legions of fanbois eager to snap up the consumer-grade devices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is what happens...

"but I'm sure they won't bother while there are legions of fanbois eager to snap up the consumer-grade devices"

Yes, but its not the volume that they're chasing, its the margin. Consumers for any high end product will pay ludicrous margins. Businesses *as a rule* won't. At any business meeting now, I see people from all manner of famous companies carrying their personal shiney phone (iPhone, high end Sammy, some other pretenders), and then they've also got some scabby mid to low end piece of rubbish that their employer provides, or ageing Blackberries. My outfit's IT genii think an HTC Wildfire S is a business class phone (and on Torange to boot), but even then you have to make a case for that over some gimcrack Nokia dumbphone that retails in the real world for about a tenner.

Selling phones to corporates is something for Nokia, RIM, and HTC, all of whom are struggling with declining market share and low margins.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry Fannybois, the sheen is tarnished for good.

iPhone is just old hat for fuckwits.

Apple look like they are standing still and taking the piss out of you. So why the militant defence?

33. This post has been deleted by its author

34. bag o' spanners

Two born every minute.

I love the way early adopters of overpriced shiny beta tech grinch about the curious incompleteness of their user experience.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IOS6 and others...

Phones and WIFI are generally hit and miss. I have a BT Home Hub which most of the time works fine with WIFI yet for some unknown reason my Blackberry disconnects/loses the WIFI or fails to even find it sometimes. Other devices are just fine (including the iPad which is IOS5 based).

A quick reboot of the phone sorts it most of the time. I'm sure its to do with some negotiation of the WPA2 key or DHCP lease or something like that...

I can see it as an IOS6 issue if the same phones and ipads with IOS5 were just fine. Its definitely a software thing and will hopefully be fixed with a software update to the network drivers in IOS6.1

1. mickey mouse the fith

Re: IOS6 and others...

Quite a few Android roms on my old Zte Blade used to fail to connect to the bt homehub unless a static i.p. was used. Apparently its to do with the network stack in the rom not liking bt`s ropey firmware.

There are quite a few complaints on bt`s forums about the buggy dhcp in the homehub firmware, some dating from 2 years ago, so i presume their fixing it at their usual glacial rate.

My old Ipod touch used to have problems with Netgear routers, it would always transfer data at a stupidly low speed, although it works fine with the homehub.

36. menotu

get a life

This is the NEW APPLE... get used to it... more iCrap to come...

Timmy is the new Sculley of Apple.. this time they deserve him

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like