back to article Tibetan STATUE found by 1930s NAZI expedition is of ALIEN ORIGIN

Life-imitating-art news on the boffinry wires today, as it has emerged that a 1938 Nazi expedition to Tibet brought back a mysterious statue or idol which has now been confirmed to be of extra-terrestrial origin. It seems that the strange artifact was brought to Germany following an expedition to the remote Asian interior led …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bibbleq
    FAIL

photos?

Came for the photos, left disappointed

1. Pooka
      FAIL

Re: photos?

I came for the Playmobile re-enactment......

Equally disappointed!

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Extra-terrestrial origin does not equal Alien....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Extra-terrestrial origin does not equal Alien...."

Unless your capitalisation is meant to refer the things in the films (the article was doing it sensationalist headline style,) then it does, actually.

1. Tom 13
            Happy

Re: capitalisation is meant to refer the things in the films

Nah, that would also require italics.

I think he's just pissed because Lewis wrote something that wasn't about disproving AGW and he can't rant about what an imbecilic moron Lewis is.

2. RICHTO
            Mushroom

No it doesnt:

extraterrestrial: outside, or originating outside, the limits of the earth.

alien: a creature from outer space

2. Grikath

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/26/1000-year-old-buddhist-statue-taken-by-nazis-came-from-meteorite/

that's 10 secs of googling you owe me..

1. frank ly

@Grikath Re: photos?

I'm not sure _exactly_ what that figure is doing, but it was worth looking for the laugh I had out of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Grikath photos?

You can see why it's smiling...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Grikath photos?

Master, when do I stop?

Ah grasshopper - when your eyes are like mine!

2. TRT Silver badge

Bulletproof monk?

The Chinese have proved conclusively that they aren't.

1. FartingHippo
      Unhappy

Re: Bulletproof monk?

Nor are they flameproof, sadly. :(

3. Tom 7

The Kaaba has a big one

meteorite that is.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The Kaaba has a big one

Nothing to do with that last episode of Doctor Who then?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: The Kaaba has a big one

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the second part of the Pandorica two-parter should take place in Mecca. It was one of the first things that I thought of.

(Note, really - it's what it reminded me of).

4. thomas k.

Nazis, artifacts and - separately - aliens

Yes, thought for a minute that you'd wandered into the wierd neighborhood over at youtube.

5. Gerard Krupa
    Thumb Down

Statue from space?

No, statue made using materials from space. Much less interesting.

6. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

".....obvious ones include various aspects of the Indiana Jones flicks ...."

Shirley "Hellboy" should be first on that list?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happened to X-files references

Or are the aliens already here, biding their time etc etc :)

1. Haku

Re: What happened to X-files references

X-Files is so last century, now it's Fringe...

Which reminds me, the new series starts tomorrow in America :)

1. Geoffrey W

Fringe? It made it to a second season? Its drivel and stuffed full of cliches and I couldn't get past two episodes. I watched because someone, who was clearly out of his mind, said it was a cross of the X files and Lost.

1. ContentsMayVary

Fringe has had 5 seasons, and is a cult favourite. But I guess if someone doesn't like something, it's automatically crap...

2. Richard 81

"said it was a cross of the X files and Lost."

And that made you want to watch it?

8. et tu, brute?
    Facepalm

Alien origin...

Reading the headline, I was hoping that at last there was proof of aliens, and not just another stupid meteoritic rock carved into a statue... Shame on you for getting my hopes up! :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Alien origin...

Not to call into question our esteemed Mr Page or El Reg but it would raise more than one eyebrow if the existence of extra-terrestrials was first announced on this site. Though I would rather they get it than the Daily Mail who would undoubtedly title the article "More immigrants may be on the way" ;)

Or do I have it wrong? Is El Reg on NASAs speed dial list?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: Re: Alien origin...

".....the Daily Mail who would undoubtedly title the article "More immigrants may be on the way"....." Crap, that's another keyboard that will have to "fall off the desk" later.

2. QuiteEvilGraham
        Pint

Re: Alien origin...

If anything, El Reg's headline on this is understated compared to the BBC, who have it on their website today as "Nazi Buddha originally from space" on the "Most Popular" sidebar. Nearly as good as my all time fave (from the Jo'burg Star, back in 1998), "Ex-President Banana, guilty of Sodomy, slips into Botswana"

9. Whyisit

Surely the movie 'Airplane' is involved here.

10. Whyisit

Return all artifacts and loot stolen by the nazi regime. The 'collector' does NOT own this artifact it belongs to the people / culture it was stolen from .

RETURN IT!!!!

11. someone up north

ALIEN ORIGIN - NOT GERMAN ...?

ALIEN ORIGIN

- THEY MEAN THEY ARE NOT GERMAN !

12. NightFox
    Unhappy

D'Oh!

Typical - the day after I cancel my subscription to Meteoritics and Planetary Science, this turns up.

No, not really before you ask.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: D'Oh!

"Typical - the day after I cancel my subscription to Meteoritics and Planetary Science, this turns up"

I was wondering about that sudden 50% drop in subscription numbers.

13. Fink-Nottle

the "Iron man" idol ...

also known as 'The Statue of the Fallen Vaiśravana with Big Boobies'.

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

Re: "......also known as 'The Statue of the Fallen Vaiśravana with Big Boobies'."

Thumbs up for the "*Ello, 'Ello" reference.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "......also known as 'The Statue of the Fallen Vaiśravana with Big Boobies'."

Thumbs down for :

i) Posting to just to show you get it.

ii) Getting the name of the show wrong.

14. The elephant in the room

The Masterplan

by Heather Pringle contains good information about the Nazi expeditions to Tibet.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Himmler's Crusade' by Chris Hale has the story of this expedition

And what the participants got up to after they got back to Germany (slight spoiler - not a happy ending).

16. WylieCoyoteUK
    Mushroom

Where's the godwin's law factor?

You're all nazis

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That big disc thing behind him?

Looks like he's sat in a Time Machine. Maybe the Nazi survivors didn't go to South America after all.

18. itzman

History repeating itself?

"Schaefer roamed Tibet in 1938-9 to search for the origins of Aryanism, the notion of racial superiority that underpinned Nazism."

Rather like people today roam the Arctic looking for evidence of Global Warming, the notion of moral superiority that underpins Renewable Energy ?

1. Michael Dunn
      Happy

Re: History repeating itself?

"Rather like people today roam the Arctic looking for evidence ...." Reminds me of Voltaire's satirical couplet on the French mission to the Arctic to investigate gravitational anomalies or variation:

Those who chose in Arctic wastes to roam

Proved what Newton knew, who stayed at home.

Probably sounded even better in French!

19. Ron Christian
    Thumb Up

This SO has to be an episode...

...of Warehouse 13...

20. hugo tyson
    Coat

Well I for one...

...welcome our Nazi Buddha overlords from Spaaaaaacccce!

Well no-one else had said it...

1. Ty Cobb
      Pint

Re: Well I for one...

Finally, a Muppets reference....

21. Arachnoid
    FAIL

Yes but does it blend?

22. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

No photos, please.

It'll melt your face off.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doktor Hu?

24. Dirk Munk

Heinrich Himmler was the Reichsführer SS, the highest SS rank and equivalent to field marshal. The chief of the luftwaffe Hermann Göring had the higher rank of Reichsmarschall since he was the second in line after Hitler.

25. Silverburn
    Boffin

However, the ethnological and art historical details of the “iron man” sculpture, as well as the timing of the sculpturing, currently remain speculative

I love the way Scientists come out with statements like this. Why can't he just say it properly? ie:

"That's just a load of total bollox innt?"

1. Jay Holmes

Or the other classic English translation.

"We are taking a wild stab in the dark and really havent got a fucking clue. But since we are scientists and much smarter than you all (cue evil laugh) then you will believe us!!!"

26. lukewarmdog
    Coat

When in roam

Was he using Apple Maps to locate Aryanism?

Also I see no proof it was carved from a meteorite and didn't just arrive on our planet this way, looks to me like it was just about to get its coat.

27. Stoneshop

I glanced at the title for The Reg's mail this morning

And read 'Thetan' for 'Tibetan'.

28. Pyromancer
    Pirate

The Moon Nazis are coming

Iron Sky wasn't fiction, then?

29. Potemkine Silver badge
    Megaphone

Does it deserve yelling it?

If they also found a keyboard without caps lock, it could be useful to the author of this article :yawn:

30. This post has been deleted by its author

31. Nigel 11
    Alert

Amazing ...

No-one has yet made a Stross / Laundry tie-in. Hope they've installed good wards on it.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I heard a theory

That the work on "Die Glocke" and later the Haunebu and "Feuerball" was based on a "non terrestrial power source" recovered from an expedition similar to this one around say 1922 and later handed over to German scientists for analysis?

It does seem a bit strange that the symbol for the "Vril" secret society has lightning bolts coming out of a ball.

What if the technology was indeed extraterrestrial in origin but couldn't be recreated with the technology of the time because it needed a specific element not present here on Earth ?

Sounds feasible, we already know that elements heavier than 113 are somewhat stable so maybe Lazar was just off by a few atomic numbers and the "magic number" is 122 ?

Even with a working flying disk or 3 it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the war as the German atom bomb project was a lost cause even if they had completed their heavy water experiments...

That mysterious photo of the UFO over New York back in the 40's has never been explained, perhaps it really did exist but was destroyed to prevent it falling into Allied hands?

This topic is closed for new posts.