back to article Acronis sucks up another Red Hatter

Backup software outfit Acronis wants to break out of the backup ghetto, and has recruited a Red Hat cloud business exec to help it do this. Scott Crenshaw will become its chief marketing officer, with a focus on enterprise file sync 'n' share. Crenshaw comes to the Franco-American outfit from a position as VP and general …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AndrueC Silver badge
    Stop

What they need to do is hire someone who is good at designing and implementing user interfaces.

1. Figgus

UI

Agreed, the latest version of Acronis is terrible. The usability went out the window, even creating Acronis bootable media is more of a chore now than it ever was before. Between the UI mess and the rampant bugs (won't recognize anything but local accounts on storage servers, Notes not displaying anywhere if you bother to type them in) Acronis has certainly managed to lose some ground to the competition.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: UI

Could not agree more. They have turned a simple, reliable backup program into a pile of pooh. I foolishly considered using it on our Windows Server 2008 system - even their technical support people couldn't get it to work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dropbox has little to worry about..

..if their cloud effort is as buggy a pile of shit as TruImage became. The least reliable backup programme ever, these days, and famous for taking out windows when you try to uninstall it for a surprising number of people.

I used to love it, but since "nonstop backup" kept silently failing to back up files after a while, and backups run by hand failed to restore, I found that free options worked a lot better.

Fuck Acronis TBH.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dropbox has little to worry about..

Boo, I meant "least reliable backup program", I do wish there was an edit button :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dropbox has little to worry about..

And which one(s) do you use?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acronis is rather crappy

What software do you use for workstation backups?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

I use Acronis because it was the first one I tried and I know it works. I used it to transfer a Win7 installation from a 250GB HDD to a 64GB SD. I've also used it once since then to restore the machine after Windows Update shafted it(*)

But the UI is ugly and slow. Do too much with it (assuming you have the patience in the first place) and it usually crashes. The bootable recovery disk works - but for some reason is horribly slow on my server. It actually takes over half an hour to boot up, select the source and specify the target. The actual restoration only takes five minutes :-/

(*)A couple of years ago I used to laugh at people who disabled WU. I don't now :(

4. Nutty101
    Unhappy

They have gone down hill, promising to fix the exchange software to work with exchange 2010. Wait, they still have not released that one (beta at least). Then the virtual backup trashes a virtual server by killing connections to apps inside as well as flat out failing. Sad for a company that was good.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My exerience has been good

My experience with Acronis True Image Home 2011 has been excellent. The UI while not sophisticated, is functional and it does not bother me at all. I look for function over glitz.

YMMV

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like