back to article Google, Microsoft butt heads in browser benchmark battle

Google Chrome has finally met a web benchmark suite it can't master, and no one could be happier than the Internet Explorer team at Microsoft, which has used the occasion to suggest that the Chocolate Factory's browser is not really the speed demon it's cracked up to be. Dubbed RoboHornet, the new, open source benchmark suite …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. N2

Big deal

I stopped believing benchmarks years ago, when Intel twiddled the tests so their CPU 'performed' best.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Capriotti or Cipriotti or separated at birth?

3. HMB
    Linux

IE10 is... *sigh*

You know I wrote a structured, logical argument going over my experiences with Chrome, IE9 & IE10. I just deleted it all, because there's just no point.

There are too many people who will go "M1croshaft Internet Exploder sux donkey balls".

They don't care about trying the latest versions out, listening to Microsoft saying what's new and what's been done. They don't care about how much work has gone into it because all they'll ever see is the time they tore their hair out making a site work in IE6.

So I'm sick of it. I'm not going to bother making any sensible logical arguments that are vaguely pro IE10.

Time for me to go ride a penguin or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why should I try out IE10?

Like most IT professionals, I divide my time between different operating systems -- for me, roughly equally between Win7, XP, OSX, and 3-4 flavours of Linux. If IE10 worked on all those, fine, I'd give it an unbiased test drive. But I'm not going to waste my time becoming proficient with *any* software package that only runs on a single version of a single OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why should I try out IE10?

>But I'm not going to waste my time becoming proficient with *any* software package that only runs on a single version of a single OS.

Out of curiosity, how does one become proficient at using a web browser when browsing the web?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How does one become proficient?

Eh? Presumably by using the browser for all of one's web activity for a week or so, whilst fiddling with all the options, finding and installing required plugins, and googling for workarounds for its most egregious UI faults, in an attempt to configure it for one's own needs.

Was this supposed to be a trick question?

2. mIRCat
      Linux

Re: IE10 is... *sigh*

I'd try IE 10, but it doesn't seem to support Debian stable.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Must. Disable. Pop-up. Blocker.

I ran the test, or tried to, and got this message:

"Firefox prevented this site from opening 17 pop-up windows"

1996 just called, etc.

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: Must. Disable. Pop-up. Blocker.

Edit (on Windows, Tools) → Preferences → Content. Click «Exceptions» to the right of «Block pop-up windows», which presumably is ticked, and fill in the address of the robohornet website. Rerun the test.

There ; fixed it for you !...

Henri

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A web benchmark suite Google can't master?

"Dubbed RoboHornet, the new, open source benchmark suite is different from earlier ones in that it doesn't focus on timing arbitrary JavaScript algorithms"

Wasn't it Microsoft caught out optimising the JavaScript Engine in Internet Explorer to run faster only in the Benchmarks - link --

'In one life, you are Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company'

1. JC_

Re: A web benchmark suite Google can't master?

Wasn't it Microsoft caught out optimising the JavaScript Engine in Internet Explorer to run faster only in the Benchmarks

Just another example of Goodhart's law, it happens everywhere.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

Say goodbye to those advertising accounts

Note to El reg. Calling Google and Microsoft "butt heads" won't win you any favours, adverts, or help with your search rankings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Say goodbye to those advertising accounts

Butt is being used as a verb, rather than "butt heads" being used as a noun.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

No kidding? there's no pulling the wool over your wotsit, is there?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Whoops! Looks like my sarcasm detector needs fixing....

7. Keep Refrigerated
    Coffee/keyboard

~ Pro?

What is this, the 90's?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought I'd compare Iron and Chrome, my RoboHornet Pro results off my laptop:

SRWare Iron 20.0: 8.56 seconds

Chrome 21.0: 9.274 seconds

SRWare Iron continually outperforms Google's version of the codebase by 0.5-0.7s here. Somewhat surprised.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like