back to article Oracle offers tiny tools for pint-sized Java devices

Oracle has announced two new Java products for embedded systems, with the aim of getting the object-oriented language running on as wide a range of devices as possible, including ones with very limited resources. Tuesday's new addition to the database giant's Java Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME) lineup, Oracle Java ME …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Buzzword

Playing catch-up?

Microsoft have been offering the .NET Micro Framework for a few years now. Are Oracle just catching up now?

1. Stephen Channell

Re: Playing catch-up?

and the .NET Micro Framework is Apache 2.0 open-source & integrated with Ardunio through http://netduino.com/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Playing catch-up?

How is it playing catch up when they've been shipping Java ME on feature phones for over a decade? This seems like little more than a name change, they are just marketing the latest version to the embedded folks, even though it's been used for such purposes since long ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old News

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_J9

3. Great Bu

Oh great.....

...my Java powered iToaster has been infected with a virus and is now sending warm bread related spam to the world.

1. Irongut

Re: Oh great.....

Would you like a muffin?

2. Studley

Not on Adama's ship

Everyone knows you don't network the frakkin' toasters.

4. Ross R

Let me know when they get it to fit into 8KB of RAM. Until then , I'll keep using C.

5. Christian Berger

Actually that's a bit pointless

There is virtually no market for 130 kByte RAM embedded systems. Most are well below 16 kByte RAM and 16 MByte RAM is not much more expensive than let's say 256 kBytes of RAM. In both cases you would need to add more external RAM which is expensive no matter how much you add.

Plus with Java or .net or whatever you loose a lot of flexibility.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

130k of RAM??!?

The 350k of ROM/Flash is a fairly tall order though there are several lines of ARM based microcontroller that top out at 512k. But 130k of onboard RAM? That means SRAM in microcontroller land and that's extremely costly in terms of die area. Even devices with a not-so-lowly 64k or RAM are in the 10s of dollars per unit which makes them dearer than building a 'proper computer' with 100s of megabytes of discrete SDRAM.

1. Christian Berger

Re: 130k of RAM??!?

Actually the STM32F4 series tops out at 1Megs and 128 megs of RAM. Still that's already large and hard to work with.

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Pirate

Methinks Larry needs a new Cloudy Field of Special Operations to Ensure the Deserved Lead

And for those who fully expect a doughnut server to accompany and soak up a morning coffee and give some purpose to Java and offer excitement and meaningful engagement to Beta Competent IT Programmers ….. <quote>He also taunts Larry Ellison, writing that he hopes news of the new flaw does not spoil his morning coffee.", …. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/gowdiak_claims_new_java_flaw/</quote> …… here is what is available, but rather exclusively of course, because of the nature of what IT can do, you understand.

For Operating Systems Drivers, who would also be acting as if Kernel Colonels and HyperRadioProActively, and are heavily/deeply into JSON for ARGonauts is there Jave MEME, Micro Edition Mission Embedded ….. for those micro-macro controllers of human reality to virtual machine systems for Remote Reality Control of Vital and Virile and Viral Virtual Machine Environments.

Thus are New Orderly World stages set and provisioned with already, all ready, ready-made Future Infrastructures and IMagiNative Novel Content.

And the doughnut server would leave you with this tasty morsel to ponder and parse into intelligence channels and underground tunnels of information exchange which spin for enrichment, for the West is intellectually bankrupt and naked short selling nothing of value, whilst the East is as an uncut jewel of infinite bounty …… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magi …… and still untapped and ready for harvesting and reseeding.

8. Steve the Cynic

When the article said "small" I had visions of...

... things I worked with in the 1990-1993 timeframe.

The large one had 32KB RAM plus 8KB battery-backed SRAM, and 96KB ROM, using an 8088.

The smaller ones:

* A Psion Organiser II, either the full version or the industrial version with just a numeric keypad

* A MC68HC11E with 512B internal RAM and either 8KB or 32KB of external SRAM and a 16KB ROM.

* A TI Sensor Signal Processor with 576 **bits** of internal memory for variables and interpreter state, and a 4KB external EEPROM for program storage.

We ran the SSP in its non-custom-masked-part mode, where it had what was in effect a sort of VM, running internally an interpreter for a fairly conventional 8-bit assembly language.

It would nevertheless be most amusing if they said that they had got the JVM to run there...

9. B Candler Silver badge

Java iButtons

What happened to the Java iButtons from 15 years ago? These were gimmicks given out at conferences, but apparently ran a JVM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-Wire

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Java iButtons

Not sure about the buttons, but I'm pretty sure your Oyster Card still runs Java - google Javacard. It's also on your mobile's SIM apparantly.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just to be clear...

Is El Reg's position still that Java is crap, or what?

It's just that this article seemed a bit enthusiastic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like