back to article Sharp to slice 11,000 job in bid to slash losses

Struggling Japanese electronics giant Sharp is set to cut nearly 11,000 jobs, double that originally feared, as well as offload some overseas factories and reduce wages in a desperate bid to haul itself out of the red by next April. Japanese news wire Kyodo claims to have seen the Osaka-based consumer electronics firm’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dssf

Has Sharp asked Apple to make a cutting incision?

It could really burn.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57504255-501465/sharps-apple-iphone-displays-behind-schedule-report-says/

But, it is also understandable from Apple's position that Apple doesn't want to own factories, or huge chunks of them...

2. Manu T

so.... it's not just Nokia then...

Apparently all these corporations are way too big to handle. They eat themselves up from the inside out. They require so much profit/revenue/earnings to keep afloat that it is becoming unable to sustain.

Perhaps being somewhat smaller is not so bad after all?

If Nokia just remained a european company and ditched all this chinese nonsense. The same with Sharp. Perhaps providing extravant 'bonusses' to jackasses, whom don't actually do something, in the past wasn't such a good idea, heh? Perhaps all those corporations could ask for a refund of those manager-bonusses instead of steering the factory-workforce into poverty?

Maybey they all deserve this?

BTW, what happens with founders, managers and CEO's when a corporations go belly up?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: so.... it's not just Nokia then...

I thought they were staked out on a barren hillside and left for the crows, ancient-Greece style :P

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Not just Sharp having trouble

Sanyo dumped a large chunk of its european operations in the last 2 years - including the entireity of its climate control range, leaving anyone with the gear high and dry when it comes to repairs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just Sharp having trouble

@Alan Brown

It's not just owners of climate control gear left high and dry.

When the piece of shit I bought which was a Sharp camcorder, failed about 2 weeks outside of warranty and they were not at all interested in even repairing it if I paid for it, I'm actually genuinely surprised that they are still in business with support like that.

And as evidenced by various websites I discovered when trying to find a fix for it, I was not the only one left in the lurch by Sharp support.

This topic is closed for new posts.