back to article RIM seeks to woo developers with REO Speedwagon cover

Crumbling Canuck smartphone vendor RIM has taken to song in an effort to keep developers writing for the platform. In a music video, released for the BlackBerry Jam developers conference that kicked off on Tuesday in San José, California, several RIM staffers rock off a cover of REO Speedwagon's "Keep on loving you", with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong group, wrong genre

Wrong group, wrong genre - REO Speedwagon is a poor fit for RIM.

They are "Through Being Cool", they have been"Jerkin' Back N' Forth" their users, their management are a bunch of "Mongoloid"s who don't see the "Big Picture". "Some Things Never Change", and RIM management are one of those things. Eventually, their company will "Blow Up" because they are "Out Of Sync" with "Planet Earth", who have realized they have "Freedom of Choice" and needn't be "Bottled Up" in RIM's walled garden for "Social Fools". Their market share will "Shrivel Up". It's all a "Big Mess", and RIM should just "Clock out", because they are "Going Under".

1. LarsG
      Meh

Isn't that the song

That used to be played when a guy got dumped by his girlfriend.

Maybe it's actually apt.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yawn..

that is all.

BB is dead platform. I Say so....

3. W.O.Frobozz

what? no "Bold Team?"

I'm surprised they didn't have lipsynching from their cartoon zeroheroes.

4. Andrew Moore

Not Autotune...

just plain old dub.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor choice

The "cry into your hanky" anthem of bunny boilers everywhere. It's rumoured the Syrian Mukhabarat get better results with just the threat of REO Speedwagon's ill named 'greatest hits' than they do with the more traditional tools of the trade.

6. beep54
    Facepalm

First there was the smell of desperation

So now Blackberry decides to introduce the sound of desperation?

7. sabroni Silver badge
    Facepalm

They do themselves no favours with this bollocks. Their developers site has cartoon bloody hippos all over it. It's like they're trying to target preschool developers. Still, at least they're willing to chuck money around in an attempt to keep their platform successful, but maybe they should chuck it at actually getting bb10 finished rather than on making themselves look like dicks...

8. EddieD

Shift in demographic.

RIM use to dominate business use - this has now been superceded by iPhone, and others, but mainly iPhone. However, Blackberry is becoming the toy of choice for the youth generation - if my brothers' offspring are any judge: 4 teenagers, 4 Blackberries. The messaging service seems to have them hooked - and if I had any friends myself, I'd probably agree.

I doubt whether RIM can regain traction in the business sector - certainly not in the short term.

Changing the focus to the youth market may not be as lucrative, but it could give them a breathing space.

Or, as often happens when companies try to re-focus their strategy, it could be the final sayonara...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like