back to article Micro Anvika Stratford goes titsup - 2012 Games 'boom fell flat'

Micro Anvika Stratford (MAS) is in the process of being liquidated, just months after opening its first Samsung-backed and branded East London store in readiness for the Olympics. Re10, which was appointed administrator of associated company Micro Anvika, is also handling the affairs of MAS and a creditors' meeting has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Olympic leech goes down..

..who gives a f*ck? Why did corporate PLC assume the rest of us plebs were going to fork out more money for their cartel when all we were interested in was watching great sport performed by great sports people?

I'm really proud Joe Public has given these companies the two fingers before/during/after the games. Perhaps the modern Olympics aren't about corporate greed/profit after all.... perhaps???

1. Tom 38

Re: Another Olympic leech goes down..

As a resident of Stratford - present throughout the games - I can assure you that the modern Olympics are solely about money, and only corporate money at that. To get to the Olympic Park, you have to walk right through the Temple of Mammon at Westfield and give sacrifices to the great god.

All foot traffic was routed to keep those offered to Mammon within the constraints of Westfield and the Olympic Park, so almost no-one who went to 'Stratford' to see the Olympics even crossed the road into Stratford proper.

The Temple itself is a wonderful creation - all the shops you ever wanted to go to, but with only half the space to have the stuff you actually wanted. There is a Borders, but it is tiny compared to other Borders outside of Westfield. Ditto HMV, PC World, M&S, John Lewis, Waitrose (calling that a Waitrose is a joke). I imagine space in the Temple is at a premium, and comes at a premium cost, which is passed on to us in terms of lack of choice and higher prices.

Having said all that, Micro Anvika is a company preparing to go bust. They were the Kings of Tottenham Court Road, selling last years remaindered kit at next years prices to anyone they could tempt.

They don't sell anything you can't get elsewhere - like the PC World store 100 yards away in Westfield - or online for cheaper, so I'm not surprised they didn't sell much during the Olympics. Plus, the place is ridiculously situated to buy high value large items - most MA employees I saw around Westfield were about a quarter of a mile away, standing by a customer, his kids and his new Samsung TV waiting for his wife to find her way there to pick the damn thing up.

1. pPPPP

Re: Another Olympic leech goes down..

I'm surprised anyone coming to the Olympics bought anything in Stratford. Apart from the M&S and WHSmiths at the tube exit which offered alternatives to the food inside, which was hit and miss. I can't imagine regular shoppers would want to be part of the crowds to go and visit the shopping centre, especially as the car park was closed.

As for Micro Anvika, and the rest of Tottenham Court Road for that matter, they've just not kept up with the age of the internet. They need to offer something better than you can get elsewhere, and ultimately the price you pay is the most important thing. That and having to lug whatever you buy home on the tube or bus because it's too expensive and difficult to park anywhere near there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Olympic prices.....

They were taking the p*ss out of the population, the cuddly mascots Wenlock and Mandervill made for children cost an arm and a leg, until they were sold in Tesco for three quid, down from £15. Even the Olympic Lego mini figures sold at WH Smith went from £2 to £2.50. Exploiting children. I have no sympathy for the sponsors or those who tried to rip us off with over the top expensive merchandise.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge
    FAIL

Samsung Anvika

There are so many parts of this story that never added up.

Why Samsung got into bed with MicroAnvika. A company best known for selling kit that wasn't a great bargain to people who thought it would be, because it was on the Tottenham Ct. Rd.

And......Why they thought that people on their way to/from the Games would want to buy computer kit, of all things.

Who would be the customers?

Were they expecting large numbers of the public to spontaneously decide to buy a new laptop on the way to the 400M finals. Or to be so overjoyed on the way back that they'd choose to invest in a new printer?

Tourists wanting to pack a spare laptop,

3. Chris 3

Where the hell is it?

I live in Leytonstone and go to Westfield regularly - I've never spotted Micro Anvika in there. FWIW, I went to the Olympics and paras several times and it was a wonderful experience, but I agree with the other commentators, it clearly wasn't going to be a shopping bonanza for the store, especially since they closed the carparks.

Still missing the Olympics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where the hell is it?

I'd have preferred it if the Olympics had missed us by a couple of hundred miles, say around about Paris.

2. Tom 38

In the article it says it was a Samsung branded store, which I think was outside on the street, 'ground floor' level (really first floor), next to M&S.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

It is a Samsung shop, outside the main shopping centre bit, on the pathway towards the Olympic stadium. A bit like the Apple store upstairs, except selling Samsung gear, and nothing like as busy.

4. Tidosho
    FAIL

2012 Games boom fell flat?

That's a poor excuse, Micro Anvika! I'll tell you the REAL reason they've gone bust. Everyone's sick of being ripped off by them for computer repairs they overcharge for, just like PC World.

Take their store in Tottenham Court Road London where they were exposed by Sky News, they were charging £145 after fixing a simple memory chip reseat job and claiming the laptop needed a full investigation. They still claimed it should have cost £96 which is still too much in my eyes, I do it for just £10!

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/262978/exposed-the-pc-repair-shops-that-rifle-through-your-photos-and-passwords/

Typical rip off Asian Pakistani con merchants, I'm sick to the back teeth of them, I worked for loads of these Asian Indian firms before going self employed, they just emigrate here and rip us off!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like