back to article Oracle woos open sourcers with free Java web framework

Battling against an increasingly crowded field of Java web development frameworks, Oracle – ordinarily never one to turn away a buck – has decided to bite the bullet and offer a version of its Application Development Framework (ADF) as a free download. Oracle ADF Essentials is a slightly stripped-down version of Oracle ADF, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Leaving out security?

Am I the only one who doesn't consider this to be the brightest of ideas?

Just to make sure that this really was what I thought it to be I looked up the ADF Security and ended up on this page (Oracle article). A small quote: "The goal of ADF Security is to ease and promote secure application development based on standard J2EE security features and the Java Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS).".

Now, I realize that there's always the standard EE layer and the, as mentioned above, JAAS. Even so I think that when you're dealing with web applications the one thing not to ignore is the security part.

It would have made a lot more sense to me if Oracle left out some of the parts which made setting up the "eye candy" easier than actually and effectively risking to reduce security.

Have they already forgotten the issues with Java 7 ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle Universal Installer...

... if that was built using this product then you're going to end up with a lot of seriously crap applications. Oracle SQL Developer is a bloated slowcoach too...

I fully understand the concept of Java but.....

1. alien anthropologist

Re: Oracle Universal Installer...

If you want to look at an enterprise ADF application, look at https://support.oracle.com - Oracle's customer support site (valid CSI needed to logon).

This used to be Flash based. The ADF version is a lot slicker.

As for blaming SQL-Developer as a "bloated slowcoach" - how about backing that up with evidence? Am a CLI fan myself and prefer SQL-Plus. Have used SQL-Developer (and have it installed), and find it no different that other SQL GUI tools (like TOAD, Tora, etc).

1. Jean-Luc
        Thumb Down

Re: Oracle Universal Installer...

>The ADF version is a lot slicker

Yeah, like the part where you can never bookmark individual support documents in your browser, only add them to your "favorites" on their site. And like the part where you can't even bookmark the login page, you first have to go to a page that has a login link, access that page (which can't be bookmarked) and then enter your user/pw. Which also means FF never remembers the credentials.

Basically, all the session(?) crap in the URLs make it a challenge store a URL anywhere. REST it is most certainly not. If that's what they are giving away...

Slick, sure. Anything is slick after their Flash site.

3. blofse

Are they going to provide tools to bring across our app's from Seam or Spring?

Otherwise, only new projects need to consider this. Which is probably much, much smaller than currently running projects.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ADF... Awful Development Framework

They may as well give it away. I worked for Oracle for 4 years and had to endure ADF. It's terrible. Bloat doesn't even come close to describing the layers, upon layers of terrible software. For any designer wishing to create beautiful looking interfaces, steer WELL clear. ADF is known very commonly within Oracle as Awful Development Framework and the mass majority of those developers who have to use it, hate it. Oracle has missed the boat here. The only ADF developers are going to be those who work for Oracle or those who are forced to create functionality on top of Oracle software. Nobody in their right mind is going to pick up ADF

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adopt ADF now

and we'll find a creative way to sue you later!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like