back to article Analogue TV snuffs it tonight on UK mainland

Tyne Tees will switch off its analogue TV transmission at midnight tonight. The shutdown will mark the last region of the mainland to go entirely digital despite the obituaries written in April. Exactly how the signal will be killed off is described in quite terrifying detail by the A516 Digital blog. The switch to digital TV …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Bourke

ROI not part of UK.

Just saying like.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Just saying like.

Why? Nothing in the article suggested that it was.

1. Matthew 25

Apart from the headline.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Apart from the headline."

How does the headline suggest that exactly? Northern Ireland is part of the UK and doesn't switch off until next month, which is what the headline pertains to obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

What exactly is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' supposed to mean when it doesn't include Northern Ireland? Surely it's 'Great Britain' and not the oxymoronic 'mainland UK'?

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: ROI not part of UK.

Interestingly, I was going to say the same thing until I checked and realised that the ROI are switching *their* telly over on the 24th of October as well. (Can I assume that this isn't just coincidence and that the UK and Irish governments coordinated their switchovers for technical reasons?)

Anyway, that surprised me, as I'd thought digital terrestrial only launched in the ROI a couple of years back... and I was apparently right. They just haven't taken an eternity to make the switch (unlike the UK).

One major advantage- for them- of having switched later is that their system is *all* MPEG-4 (i.e. the newer and more efficient system), i.e. they don' t need separate technologies and incompatible boxes for SD and HD, and shouldn't even require simulcasts of HD material (as the boxes should be able to downscale HD as required).

Whereas in the UK, our original SD digital terrestrial service dates back to the late 90s, and the established base of equipment doesn't support Freeview HD transmissions, so it's space-wasting simulcasts all the way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ROI not part of UK.

> (Can I assume that this isn't just coincidence and that the UK and Irish governments coordinated their switchovers for technical reasons?)

You can indeed. Co-ordinated to the point that a small transmitter (the "mini-Mux") will come online in Belfast to carry RTE1/2 and TG4 to those people who can't pick up the Irish Saorview service directly. If, as you say, they have an MPEG-4 compatible decoder.

2. Rubbernuke
    Terminator

Its all a bit HAL 9000....

'''Daisy....Daaaaiiiiiisssssyyyyy.....swwwitttttchhhh meeeeeeeeeeee tooooo BBC TWOOOOOOO.......''

Sorry, too much caffeine.

1. Richard Wharram
      Boffin

I haven't had an aerial on my house since 2004. I could dig my old Game Gear and TV adaptor out of the loft for a final view.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Digital is an improvement because

We've got the same crap repeated over more channels and can have it in HD if we want.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£900 to update my car's MMI to DVD-T. I don't think I'll bother.

5. Dave 15

digital is an improvement because

When the signal is weak you get bugger all, which is clearly better than something with a bit of interference. I wonder if it will be as good as digital radio - you know that where the time pips can be 1 or 2 seconds late depending on the ability of the poorly written encoders and decoders.

I like the idea people are continually sold that digital with its fixed values is somehow more 'accurate' then analogue with its infinite choice of value...

I guess eventually the BBC will encrypt its output then the license fee buys you the decrypt key - then (hopefully) those of us who don't need government propaganda can just not pay for it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: digital is an improvement because

Analog is not "infinite", but the other points still stand.

Analog has practical limitations too. But Digital has other problems of it's own (as you pointed out). It's apples and oranges (for out American readers) or swings and roundabouts (for us Brits).

2. Eddie Edwards
      Thumb Down

Experience says otherwise

Before the analog was switched off here, I had an old analog TV and a FreeView box. When you hit the wrong button on the remote, it switched back to the analog TV tuner, and it was so bad as to be nearly unwatchable. But the digital TV, while it dropped out from time to time, was basically perfect. Same transmitter; same aerial. And this was when digital transmission levels were about 8x lower - now, reception is perfect here, as the analog switchoff allowed them to boost the power.

So, yes, *in theory* analog degrades gracefully, but in practice the analog picture has become virtually unwatchable by the time the digital picture degrades *at all*. I assume there is some error-correcting code in use - try doing that with analog. (Voyager, for instance, sent back amazing pictures on a channel that in analog terms was basically all noise.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh god, not the "analogue is automatically better because it's infinite" fallacy.

This makes two mistakes- firstly assuming that "infinite" possible signal values automatically corresponds with *accuracy* of reproduction. A worn-out 30-year-old analogue audio cassette has the former, but less of the latter than a digital CD.

The second mistake is assuming that an idealised "perfect" theoretical analogue system does- or can- correspond to a real-world analogue system; and then comparing this to a real-world digital setup. If we're comparing analogue's theoretical (real-world-impossible) "infinite" perfection, then digital can "in theory" have an arbitrarily high sampling rate and resolution.

Digital, by its nature, has a clearly-defined cutoff point in terms of accuracy or approximation. A real-world analogue system generally has less clearly-defined limitations, but they still exist.

There are circumstances where a *particular* analogue system can outperform a *particular* digital system. And vice versa.

No, we shouldn't always assume that digital is better than analogue, and there are discussions to be had. But as a general principle the anti-digital backlash/fetishisation of the misguided "analogue is infinite and therefore better" type is just as annoying as the digital hype.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But I miss the ghosting of analogue TV. I also miss having to get up and squint at the corner of the TV during the football to see what time was left on the clock.

Analogue was shit, apart from Ceefax. As long as you've got a decent aerial, and you're not moving about, digital's fine.

People in remote valleys may disagree though.

1. Derezed
          Flame

It's a cost cutting scam.

I live in the middle of a city...have a good arial, and the number of times my analog signal was lost or needed retuning in my 14 years of living in my own place has been...zero. The number of times I am told (normally by the screen going blank) that I have to retune my wank box, well, I have lost count.

Additionally why do I see other channels mixed together on my digital box...and sometimes hear other channels too? Is it because the tech is wanky but cheaper to run and flog? No benefits to the consumer, what so ever.

2. Derezed
          Flame

Ah crap...I forgot to mention that classic pips, squaks, stutters and ear drum blasting shrieks as any traffic passes the window. It sounds like someone having an epileptic fit. I am buggared to remember the last time the analogue signals sound became a muddle of pops and squawks.

My DAB radio is also pretty piss poor. I had to turn to analog Radio 4 the other day because of the contstant popping sounds coming through my radio using DAB. Utter...shit.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

Ach, there goes thirty-five years of PAL TV engeering...

I am now an expert in a field that no longer exists. I guess that makes me an official fossil!

1. auburnman
      Happy

Re: Ach, there goes thirty-five years of PAL TV engeering...

I'm sure the BBC will call you up at some point for commentary on a rose tinted documentary of TV: The early years.

2. Dr Paul Taylor
      Unhappy

more like fifty

My father Cedric (Ced) Taylor was involved in the development of PAL colour television receivers at Ekco in Southend from 1962 to 1967 and then at GEC Hitachi in Slough from 1967 to 1986. He died in February this year, two months before his TV signal did.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Headmaster

Oops, no edit function. I meant of course 'engineering'!

4. NogginTheNog
      Unhappy

I feel similarly about my 5 year old CRT telly. Analogue TV circuits that will never receive any signal again... :-(

5. Derezed
      Pirate

It means you become an international development consultant and make a mint flogging the dead tech (or providing technical assistance) in the developing world!

Keeeeeer-ching!

6. Christian Berger

Actually a few month ago I held a talk on the basics of analogue television at a hacker camp. It was quite well filled. People are still interested in that kind of technology.

Also I'm considering making a CATV system at the OHM2013 (another hacker camp, this time in the Netherlands) . It would be analogue like current CATV systems in Germany are currently.

7. Lee Dowling Silver badge

I repurposed all my analogue Hauppauge WinTV cards years ago to become CCTV recorders. They are infinitely more useful doing that than receiving even five channels of the junk they put on TV now. The USB-dual-DVB-T stick that I got to replace them (and because it was a bargain) has barely been out of its box (I find the EPG and constant retuning unnecessarily onerous, especially when there's nothing to actually WATCH on it).

In the last week I have watched literally about 4-5 hours of Digital TV, most of that repeats, filled with adverts (muted), and with all the best lines cut out and only so that there was "something on" while I did other things (e.g. ate dinner). But DVD's and iPlayer? At least double-that. Hell, technically I have watched more TV through my Raspberry Pi (that I've consigned to the bin for what I wanted to do with it), than over the digital or analogue airwaves combined.

A TV is just a display device now. I lived for three years without one recently - can't say I missed it at all and only got one again as I bought a LCD flatscreen to go nicely on the wall in a new house and be used for showing things from the DVD player / PC.

You can switch off the analogue, now. Hell, switch off the digital while you're at it. It won't be a huge loss to a lot of people (especially when this "local TV" thing comes along). Personally, I'd remove TV from the airwaves at all and use the space for local wireless broadband which people can use for IP-based media.

1. taxman

Yeah, and to use a LCD flatscreen TV just as a display for the DVD player / PC you still have to pay for the TV licence! Sheesh!

1. King Jack
        Facepalm

TV licence! Sheesh!

No you don't. Do it little reading on the TV licensing web site and save your money.

2. david bates

No you dont...

read the back of your TV licence - or Google it...

3. Andy 115

Re: taxman

Incorrect!

You are free to get rid of the license at ANY time so long as you do not watch or record TV broadcasts (using any device) whilst they are being broadcast....

You are free to keep the freeview to listen to the radio if you were so inclined.

Unfortunately, TVL will not spell this information out clearly an unambiguously and will try and convince you that you must somehow PROVE to them that you no longer need a license (even resorting to faux legal threats of court summons and "investigations being opened"...

Reality is a bitch (for them) -The onus is on THEM to prove you ARE breaking the law, NOT for YOU to prove that your AREN'T breaking the law!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

TVL

TVL are the most grotesque company in the UK. They beat HMRC hands-down, and that's saying something.

I didn't have a TV for 3 or 4 years (my girlfriend finally nagged me enough to get one), and I used to receive a constant stream of letters from TVL telling me I was a criminal. As has been touched on above, the big problem with TVL is that they make it as difficult and as obscure as possible for Jo Public to know where they stand. They absolutely will not make it clear when you do and when you do not need a TV license. They just assume you are a criminal and go out of their way to try and convince you of this. I even had a knock at the door once from one of their goons. I asked him why they kept sending me threatening post and could they please stop it? He tried to tell me that if I would only tell him my name, he could stop the letters. I told him my name was none of his, or TVA's bloody business (which it isn't - the letters used to be addressed to "the occupier"). Anyway, after a while, he ended up walking away while I was having a go at him! Bloody cheek.

My advise to anyone being hounded by TVA (assuming you really don't need a TV license) is to tell them to fuck off. They're not the police, they have no legal powers at all - NONE; they're just a state-run mafia and the lot of them should be locked up.

1. naylorjs
            FAIL

Re: TVL

I can second (or third) that. In the early noughties I had a house that I was trying to sell which was empty, yet I kept getting snotty letters threatening legal action for not having a license. If you looked in the front window you could clearly see the lack of furniture and the TV antenna cable lying on the carpet. In the end, I sent them a letter explaining this again, and asking them to book a court date, and telling them that they would lose for sure. They stopped after that, presumably they'd sent one of their drones to actually check the reality of the situation. Tossers.

BTW Unlike others I don't begrudge paying the TV license fee, I love BBC4 and shows such as Dr Who.

2. A J Stiles

Been there, done that. I lived happily without a TV set from 1995 to 1998 (though I did have a play-only VHS wired up to an Amiga monitor, for watching movies from the local video shop -- remember video shops?); only eventually being persuaded to purchase one by a young lady. (Although said young lady was only 2 years old at the time, so is forgiveable under the circumstances.) Seeing as the licence was still valid after my ex and her daughter moved out, and any refund on the time remaining would have been swallowed up in admin costs, I hung onto the TV. Then added a VCR ..... then satellite ..... You get the picture.

Since the switchover required effectively the replacement of every TV receiver in the country (a set-top box is a receiver, it just doesn't have a display) one has to ask why did they not mandate the ability to use a viewing card from day one? Scrambling all the broadcasts on a simple "no payment, no pictures" basis would have stuffed it to the freeloading chavs and removed the need for poison-pen letters and bully-boy tactics, in one fell swoop.

1. King Jack

They get more money by having every household in the country as subscribers. If they introduced a card, many people would just use ITV and other 'free' channels and save money.

3. david bates

A loud, angry letter worked for me, and bought me a groveling apology. ..

4. jonathanb Silver badge

My advice is to tell them that

1. You have revoked their implied right of access

2. Any further communication from them will be treated as harrassment.

Those are the two magic phrases that get them to go away

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: TVL - @ jonathanb

Re "My advice is to tell them that...You have revoked their implied right of access"

TVA have no implied right of access to your property - none.

They might like you to THINK they have, but they do not. In fact, the ONLY way anyone can enter your property to check if you are using a TV without a license and are therefore breaking the law is with a court order. Even the Police can not (and in any case would be unprepared to) act without a court order. And guess what? The evidence against you has to pretty damned good for the court to issue such an order. Strangely enough, very few court orders are ever issued!

This is why TVA resort to harassment; because they have no legal rights whatsoever.

5. Chris Parsons
            Thumb Up

I, also, am a TV Denier. I also received the usual threats, including one signed personally from some woman with a fancy title. I returned her letter to her with a covering letter saying that I didn't think her income tax was in order and wanted to visit her to inspect her accounts. Never heard another thing. During the increasingly heated exchanges leading up to this, I happened to discover that Boris Johnson was experiencing exactly the same problems and eventually we exchanged emails on tactics. Happy days, gave me something to do...

2. Christian Berger

Well

For me TV is like a "download service". I enter some keywords and it'll record shows with matching words. Then I have them on my harddisk to watch them whenever I want. Quite like a podcast.

The great thing about Television is that it's complete DRM free. We all pay for television so shows get made and we all get a copy of it.

As for Internet via those frequencies. Get real, you'd have to invest a great deal to be able to provide decent service. And phone companies aren't run by engineers but beancounters. They would rather trafic shape your link to death before investing into more capacities.

3. Dave Lawton

@ Lee Dowling

Hi,

Now that you aren't using your Pi any more, can I beg it off you please ?

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Re: @ Lee Dowling

"Now that you aren't using your Pi any more, can I beg it off you please ?"

For £30 from cpc.co.uk, delivered next day if you like? They aren't rare any more, aren't expensive, and - believe me - aren't worth it for anything serious. Still had USB problems (i.e. not letting some basic devices operate at all - all a bit of a lottery), SD card problems, and power problems (you need an insanely stable and powerful power supply if you intend to use it long-term) last time I tried.

Original project I planned (and spent £100 on parts for over a year) was an in-car GPS tracker / alarm. I have casings, interfaces, battery backup that charges from the car when its running, GPS, Bluetooth, 3G modem, various relays etc. all ready and working. Originally built with a Mini-ITX board with the assumption I could just slap the RPi in there when it arrived. All it had to do was have two USB ports that worked and bog-standard Linux-supported drivers (drivers aren't a problem, nothing I used had anything more than a plain-text modem/serial device interface presented to Linux) and present a Linux console (no graphics output was needed at all). Never managed to get it working well enough to rely on. Project still wired to Mini-ITX months later (was one of the first orders of RPi, just had that many unresolved issues).

Also bought it to trial in the school I worked in. Just far too many issues that it would be embarrassing to even try to suggest it professionally for anything. Sure, people can do stuff with it, but it's nowhere near as reliable or as useful as you might think. I actually regret paying £25 for it - I could have just bought a pack of Z80's and made something better for the task myself (though it wouldn't have run Linux). Sure, I did a demo that ran some basic X-Windows on the HDMI lead, but the TV composite-out never really worked either. Networking was affected by USB load so it was useless even for simple things if you actually wanted it to do anything. And RAM was always a problem for anything heavily graphical (e.g. browsers).

To be honest, I'm only holding on to it in the hopes that they fix the kernel eventually and I can use it to do a simplified subset of the functions necessary in partnership with some basic IC's or microprocessor. The Mini-ITX board is too large, and I have nothing else that will fit in the gap left. If I ever get funds to put a small, embedded, ARM-Linux board in there instead, the Pi goes into the loft anyway, I'm afraid. A warning to myself about pre-ordering things (my first and only pre-order, and am immensely disappointed with it).

1. Dave Lawton

Re: @ Lee Dowling

Thanks for the extensive reply Lee.

I'm told that the current Pi no longer has the composite output, so was halfway looking out for one of the earlier ones.

If you don't ask, you can be sure of not getting :)

8. K
    Megaphone

Republic of Ireland ...

f*cking freeloaders.. that is all!

1. 8Ace

Re: Republic of Ireland ...

OK I'll bite.

I assume you are referring to the fact that some UK channels will be available in ROI? Part of the reason for the synchronised switch over North and South is that ROI channels will be available in N.Ireland and broadcast from N.Ireland after the switchover and vice versa. Each side of the border will get most of the other's channels, all part of their peace agreement I believe, sharing culture and all that.

What's the problem?

1. Ross K Silver badge

Urr no. if you want UK telly in (the south of) Ireland you subscribe to Sky or cable tv and pay for it.

No freeloading involved. In the analogue days you could pick up HTV on the east coast most of the time, or UTV in border areas.

I believe the digital switchover will allow both sides to adjust the "cut-off" of the signal to prevent wandering into the other jurisdiction...

And someone earlier mentioned RTE and TG4 being beamed into Belfast? Care to elaborate on that? RTE charge a licence fee too. How's that going to work north of the border? Just wondering...

1. Test Man
          Stop

Works the same way as it does with them allowing international users to view their programmes on RTE Player.

i.e. it's in their best interests to allow more people to watch their stuff, while the BBC don't have to.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>I believe the digital switchover will allow both sides to adjust the "cut-off" of the signal to prevent wandering into the other jurisdiction...

It could, but in practice they're each ensuring maximum penetration (ooh err, missus). That's one reason that the digital switchover is synchronized between the two jurisdictions.

> And someone earlier mentioned RTE and TG4 being beamed into Belfast? Care to elaborate on that?

Not beamed in. Separate transmitter on Black Mountain, channel 39+, 2kW, just for RTE/TG4

>RTE charge a licence fee too. How's that going to work north of the border? Just wondering...

RTE don't charge a licence fee, the Irish Government does. Just like the UK government. People in NI pay to the UK government, people in RoI pay to the Irish government. What's to wonder about?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CEEFAX

The BBC still broadcast pages from CEEFAX in the wee hours. Why? It would be cheaper just to close down at night to save money.

Digital is shite, with its lowbitrate and blockyness. Any crowd scene or glitter celebrations is rendered un-watchable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CEEFAX

Your screen is too big or you're sitting too close.

Digital TV from a reasonable distance (compared to how we used to watch TV when I was a lad) is wonderful. No snow. Solid areas of colour with no 'noise'. I wouldn't go back to analogue.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

You've obviously not watched some of the documentary channels, for instance David Attenborough's ones where he shows millions of bats flocking is a good way to really kill MPEG compression, which is the artifact that the OP describes seeing.

Couple that with low-bit-rate channels, and poor MPEG conversion hardware on the broadcast end that they can't be bothered to pay real money for, and you end up with a complete mess trying to watch something that looks like a bad YouTube clip on your HD TV.

The HD channels "solve" it a bit, but only if you have them and pay for them (where appropriate) and if the thing you want to watch happens to be shown on them.

It doesn't matter how big your screen is or how far aware you are if the MPEG compression just can't keep up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

creature features...

The classic demonstration of the power of digital was the first broadcast of Attenborough's "Blue Planet".

When the sardine bait-ball scene appeared, the digital stream got into a tizz and left swirling shiny square blocks all over the screen.

Viewers commented - "We can see they're sardines, they're already in their tins"...

1. pPPPP

Re: creature features...

Anything with running water shows this up. And oddly, so does the football. Grass is made up of individual blades, all with slightly different colour. Apart from on Freeview, or Virgin for that matter, where it becomes an indeterminate splodge apparently made up of small squares.

They need to get rid of the shopping and chat channels, whose sole purpose is to fleece the house-bound out of what money they have.

2. Christian Berger

One also has to say that British stations tend to be bandwidth starved. They always muck around at 2-4 Mbit. In Germany it's not uncommon for a station to have 4-9 Mbit. That's for SD over satellite of course.

For example right now "Das Erste" is showing some report on a German musician which consists of hand held camera shots at about 5 Mbit/s. Audio at 400 kbit/s

Regional channel "Bayerisches FS Nord" (unfortunately not home of Bavarian Reports Mode) is airing near static images at 3.5 Mbits peaking at 7.2 for some mushroom boffins.

rbb Brandenburg ist now showing some children's show at 7.8 Mbits.

StarTrek TOS on zdf_neo had about 3.5 for near static images and peaks over 4 for moving images.

Of course there are stations with lower bitrates, for example Sixx a channel for women only has about 2.2 Mbit/s for moving images.

Or "Starparadies AT", apparently an Austrian teleshopping channel is at a constant bitrate of 1.07 Mbit/s.

Sometimes the bitrate and the quality don't match. Tele5 Austria (Austrian branch of a German Station) is showing Star Trek TNG at 4.95 MBit/s and it's a bad late 1980s early 1990s standard conversion. I have seen better conversions on "Top of the Pop" shows from the 1970s.

However BBC 1 London seems to have improved on their bitrates. "Newsround" now is on 3-4.5 Mbit/s.

BTW the quality of the encoders has improved a great deal over the years. Since video encoding isn't a science but an art it does improve over time.

So it all can be done. Even Ceefax. Most German TV stations still have teletext over DVB. It's a standard feature. Apparently usage numbers are even increasing.

Now if only German television would have anything good on.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

As you say, Christian, the problem is largely in the coders. The transmission standards don't mandate the coder, just the way the bitstream will be decoded, and the result is that different makers (no names, no pack drill) can produce coders at vastly different prices and vastly different picture quality at vastly different coding efficiencies.

No point wishing for one of those nice looking efficient coders if the project costs only accommodate the cheap one that takes twice the bitrate.

And don't even get me started on statistical multiplexers...

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Flame

> Digital TV from a reasonable distance (compared to how we used to watch TV when I was a lad)

You mean far enough away that you can't see the crap?

My Mum lives 15 miles from a main (500kW) transmitter. She has always had perfect analogue reception. She now has a strong digital signal, and the analogue picture quality on the old analogue CRT is still far better than from any of the LCD digital TVs in the house, and from the Freeview box connected to the analog TV.

An HD signal, downconverted to SD, is almost as good as analogue, which shows that the problem is not digital per-se, but the appalling levels of overcompression used to cram 60 channels of crap into the space that once held 5 decent ones.

Then again, people used to look at VHS recordings and rave about how good the picture was, so most people won't even notice that the digital pap they're spoon-fed with is rubbish quality. They've paid £1000 for a fancy new flat screen TV, so it must be better.

1. Derezed
          Pint

I had to upvote this because you called channel 5 "decent". I like documentaries about fat people and feeders too! :D

10. Haku
    Coat

I felt a great disturbance in the airwaves, as if millions of analogue tvs suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I fear something digital has happened.

1. Helena Handcart
      Pint

Genius. That is all.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news...

...with the analogue switch off we're finally safe from those pesky 'Poltergeist' ghosts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good news..."safe from those pesky 'Poltergeist' ghosts"

But now is the true age of the Digimon.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh joy!

"...everyone from the BBC to El Reg reminisced about on-screen snow...."

Of course, now we can enjoy the delights of really poor transmission rates and macro-blocking. Or, if you're really lucky, the signal drops out completely! A HUGE improvement on mere "snow". Bundle-in a good ol' collection of game shows, TV shopping, soaps, adverts, err... nope - that just about covers what's on TV these days, and you have a crackin' platform fit for the 20th century.

What's that? It's the 21st century now? Oh dear....

13. MJI Silver badge

Bloody phones

Knicking the broadcast spectrum.

I wanted high bitrate HD not more bloody mobile frequencies.

For decent HD you to go BluRay now.

Want to see poor HD, try Gardeners World with a busy picture - looks like SD.

14. Z80
    Go

Crank it up

Judging by my seemingly faultless reception of the main BBC multiplex now, I expect I'll finally be able to get all the other Freeview channels once they get the full beans on the Bilsdale transmitter.

I think I might treat myself to one of those new-fangled flat screen TVs. Yep, still rocking a CRT in 2012.

I don't watch much telly - because I'm missing out on all the best channels right? Anyone seen Jedward's Weird Wild World on 5*? Any good?

15. A J Stiles
    Pint

The last time this happened

The last big TV switchover in the UK (from 405 to 625 lines -- remember 405 lines?) began in 1964 with the launch of BBC2 (on 625 only) and wasn't completed until 1985 (when the last of the 405-line transmitters was turned off), so that's 21 years.

That's still the blink of an eye compared to how long it's taken for SI to catch on, though -- hence the pint of beer.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous John
      Happy

Re: The last time this happened

Re: The last time this happened

I can remember fitting a Band III converter to my parents' TV when ITV started in the 1950s. I would have been about 10.

16. David Gosnell

Of course Berwick wasn't first, either

Small areas of the UK went digital-only as much as a couple of years before Berwick, where active relays were in use for tricky terrain/geographic reasons and residents had to choose one or the other, unsurprisingly opting for digital. This was the case in part of my home town, and I very much doubt there weren't other similar areas around the land.

17. TRT Silver badge

My 'enjoyment'...

of 'Citizen Khan' was totally ruined last night when Dave suggested they watch the cricket on what was clearly an analogue set with a built in loop aerial. You'd have thought the BBC could have done better. Well, you'd have thought they could have done better than Citizen Khan, actually.

18. Archibear

"The sky above the port ...

... was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. mickey mouse the fith

Why didnt the freeview spec include......

1: A way of superimposing the deaf guide on any program at any time rather than rebroadcasting stuff late at night. Would be far more convienient/less annoying for all concerned.

2: A smartcard slot so the BBC could encrypt their channels and base the licence fee on that. Of course I already know the answer to this one, they would loose a shit ton of money as half the licence payers now wouldnt bother.

One more really irritating thing about freeview, why do some transmitters broadcast over 100 channels, but where I am we only get 17? Its really strange as the transmitter the local one gets its feed from has 128 channels, but we only get the bbc/some itv/some ch4 ones and a load of dating crap + the bbc radio ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Freeview lite

> One more really irritating thing about freeview, why do some transmitters broadcast over 100 channels, but where I am we only get 17?

Because the commercial channels who pay for part of the service don't consider your area to be worth spending money on to install more transmitters. Main transmitters carry all Muxes, many relays carry "freeview-lite", which is what you're getting. Public Service (PSB) channels only.

21. Blue eyed boy
    Black Helicopters

"filled with adverts (muted)"

The day will surely come when the extra control bit (that I'm certain is there) in the HD signal gets put to use. It's the "mute disable" bit.

1. Christian Berger

Re: "filled with adverts (muted)"

Well then don't buy The Register-recommended devices, buy cheaper standard compliant or open source kit.

22. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

No Change For Me

I abandoned TV over 2 years ago because I had better things to do with my time. Got a nice refund too, when I wrote to them. Not had any hassles either.

P.S. No I don't sneakily watch on the computer. As I said, I've got better things to do.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah! But that's not right but.

The analogue signal's gone off already, due to the floods.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two Ariels

I can remember growing up in Cwmbran that almost all houses had two ariels, one pointing a Bristol (well the Mendip transmitter I guess) so we could get Channel 4 as well as S4C.

1. David Paul Morgan
      Unhappy

Re: Two Ariels

Happy Days!

Bruce Hocking & Jan Leeming reading the west country news.

"and now, on BBC Wales, Eisteddfodiau I have Loved and on BBC Network, the TV premier of Jaws"

As we had TV in the front room and the back room we had four ariels - west / wales front and west / wales back.

(Newport boy then later living in Talbot Green (jn34/M4) where you could also get west and wales.)

But you can't match the heady days in the 1990, from March to November when D-MAC programming from the BSB Marco-Polo satellites was available! Super quality and HD-MAC in the pipeline until the tragic merger in Nov/Dec 90, before the christmas push...

I only had four of the five BSB channels 'cos I didn't want the sport.

RIP Galaxy, Power Station, Movie Channel & Now...

25. Test Man
    Thumb Up

Ah, the good old days. Tuning the TV manually with a tweezer going through UHF channels 21 - 68, sticking keys in the RF aerial socket in the back of the TV, waiting 5 mins for the black-and-white TV to display a picture after switch-on, trying to find that PERFECT angle for the aerial, setting the video to tape a programme (and having to add 5 mins to the end knowing ITV were awful at keeping time), twiddling about with V-sync to get the picture centred JUST RIGHT, teletext 888...

*sigh*

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

sniff, so long analogue...

Heck, at least with analogue, you could just about watch poor reception through the snow.

With digital, when the signal is bad, it's all blips, scrambled pictures, judders, jumps, shakes, whistles, wibbles, wobbles - you get the picture (or actually, sometimes not)

I used to love channel scanning with Analogue - getting ghostly images appearing behind the static - twiddling tiny buttons with a kitchen knife on tiny portable black and white tube TV's - fantastic fun. No, really.

It's the end of an era - one I grew up with. I've spent far more time watching analogue than digital.

Heck, 34 years more.

So long analogue TV, we'll miss you ...

27. Morten Bjoernsvik
    Thumb Up

Welcome after

In Norway we turned of analogue May 20, 2008. I do not miss the snowy pictures for sure.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Welcome after

Isn't everything in Norway snowy anyway?

2. David Paul Morgan
      Boffin

Re: Welcome after

see above...

I think Norway inherited the Marco-Polo satellites (ex BSB) which became your THOR system?

28. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Unhappy

there

was only one thing that annoyed me about analogue.. that was living down here on the saff coast, you could get to watch french TV all over ITV when the conditions were right..

a great improvement to be honest.

But the switch off has left me with 2 useless TVs and my 28" living room one stuck on the cable TV feed (100 channels of crap and 1 decent program... and adverts for 5 mins every 15 mins and they all cut to ads AT THE SAME F***ING TIME!)

1. Test Man
      Unhappy

Re: there

Ads - tell me about it.

29. HipposRule
    WTF?

I can't belive it's taking so long.

I know I wasn't in the first area but I haven't seen analogue since May 2009 - that's 3½ years ago FFS.

1. David Paul Morgan
      Go

Re: I can't belive it's taking so long.

I think I had sky digital and NTL digital as soon as they were launched.

Remember BBC Choice and the lad of a presenter just lounging on a couch doing the announcements?

I think only three people were involved in that programme - the lad, the cameraman and me, the viewer!

Much better than the analogue signals, IMHO

30. MJI Silver badge

Freeview picture quality

Degraded over the years

Back in 1993 BBC1 looked fantastic on DTTV, really really good. (I know don't be pedantic)

This was with a Wega tube IDTV. DVDish bitrates.

Since then they have been squeezing the bit rate down and down.

Now BBC 1 is actually quite ropey.

Using DSTV BBC1HD is not that different in picture to how BBC1 SD used to look when it first started.

The last change to DSO really made BBC1 look bad. (Oh and above IDTV was not compatible - good job I sold it to someone with a sat box)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like