back to article Google Go language gets used: For file-scrambling trojan, though

Virus writers are experimenting with Google's Go as a programming language for malware. The Encriyoko Trojan uses components written in Go, which is a compiled language developed by the search giant and unveiled in 2009. Once installed on a Microsoft Windows PC, the Trojan attempts to use the Blowfish algorithm to encrypt all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Knapman

Who edited this?

The 3 sentences:

The Encriyoko Trojan uses components written in Go, a compiled language developed by the search giant. It first emerged from the Chocolate Factory in 2009. Once installed on a Microsoft Windows PC, the Trojan attempts

Make it sound like the *trojan* was authored by Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Maybe they were hypnotised by Symatec's "expert"?

The advantage for VXers could be that they are more familiar with that specific language as opposed to some other languages and the language itself may offer some degree of flexibility in coding terms," Paul Wood, a security researcher at Symantec told El Reg.

"It also might be more resilient to reversing attempts by researchers as Go isn't really mainstream. The latter may be more a perception by the coders than in reality."

Or then again, maybe not. Or perhaps it's too many fish in the atmosphere? Seems like the only thing Paul Wood will actually be sure of is that the computers of you and your loved ones need Symantec installed today with all the flaky performance-killing options enabled...

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Who edited this?

Gah. That is annoying. It's been fixed.

C.

2. JDX Gold badge

What's in it for them?

So it encrypts files on your PC and then what? Are you in some way extorted to pay for the key, or is it simply a vandal program?

3. Michael Habel
    FAIL

All you need to do to Root a Galaxy Phone is throw a Three Finger Salute at it.

(e.g. Volume Rocker down, Home Button and Power at the same time).

Install newest Odin Software, and then a matching rooted Firmware to what you're currently running.

Easy-Peasy.

Really if you can't bother to spend a few minutes over on XDA-Devlopers and learn up on how to properly mod your Phone, then you deserve to get attacked....

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
      Headmaster

@Michael

> All you need to do to Root a Galaxy Phone is throw a Three Finger Salute at it.

> (e.g. Volume Rocker down, Home Button and Power at the same time).

What other examples of three finger salutes work on Galaxy 'phones?

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

How do they know?

If it is compiled, how do they know the original language? Is this the same group of researchers who speculated a while back about some new, "secret" language used by malware authors, which turned out to be C (but with unfamiliar compiler options so that the researchers were flummoxed by the generated code).?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: How do they know?

Probably yeah, there will be footprints. For instance if you use a Go library function that probably compiles to an easily identifiable set of ASM/HEX codes.

5. Rafael 1
    FAIL

Great language name! Not confusing at all?

First time I read about it I decided to google "go", then "go tutorial" and "go how to". Finally I've hit something with "go programming" just to learn about Go! (note the !), which seems much more interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great language name! Not confusing at all?

Hidden in plain sight. Chose a language so generically named it's impossible to research.

Maybe there is a programming language called .programming language. and only the initiated .can find it..

1. Jim Mitchell
        Go

I give you PL/1: "Programming Language One".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Nigel 11

You'll very often find it referred to as Golang, possibly to make it searchable. Or use quotes: search "Go language" seems to hit on the right things.

6. PeterGriffin

The simplest solution I have used so far to gain root access on my Samsung Galaxy S2 is to download a busybox installer package from XDA Developers and save it to the MicroSDHC card. Shutdown the phone and restart in recovery mode (Vol Down + Home + Power) and choose to install a file and select the installer zip file. Once rebooted there's instant Root access without the need for a carefully matched pre-rooted kernel.

7. Ilgaz

I know why

Unlike symantec junk bundleware. Kaspersky etc looks for coding patterns and even runs virtual machine if not sure.

An exotic language will generate different unique patterns and it gives black hats some headstart.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like