back to article Samsung ready to drop faster SSDs

Samsung will have a new SSD out next month. The 840 Series is a notebook-ready 6Gbps Sata drive, with a high performance - Samsung claims - Pro line accompanied by a lesser, cheaper vanilla offering. The Korean giant claimed the 840 Pro "provides 100,000 IOPS for random read and 90,000 IOPS for random write, making it three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait or get the 830 now?

So DABS have £20 of current 256GB model, but should I wait for this one to come out and get the 830 then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The new 840 series will be available in retail globally from the middle of October"

...but not available to Apple. lol.

2. swisstoni

Cue the inevitable......

But it's a rectangle with rounded corner posts

3. Zebidee
    Go

Pixmania - £75.99 for £128gb

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/11827479/art/samsung/830-series-internal-ssd-1.html?srcid=369&CodePromo=oui

4. Shaun 2
    Trollface

I'm confused

I'm confused - Should I buy this or an iPhone 5 - They look very similar.

1. Euripides Pants
      Trollface

Re: I'm confused

And you can't make a phone call with either of them...

5. frank ly

Why not make 'smaller' ones?

For me, 32GB would be enough for a boot drive (including all installed software) since I keep all my data on my home network. For taking my laptop 'on the road', I'd be happy to buy an external 128GB SSD drive.

1. Volker Hett

Re: Why not make 'smaller' ones?

In my experience this doesn't help much. I have a 128GB Samsung in my Desktop and my user home on a 1TB Seagate, booting the system is fast, but I don't boot it that often and waking it from hibernation is not much faster. Programs like lightroom don't start that much faster because they have to read their database from the harddisk, Same for visual studio and such.

In my Notebook I have a OCZ Vertex 4 with 256GB as a single drive, there I see a huge difference, even with Sata-2 since it's a bit older :)

So the next step is putting another and bigger SSD into my desktop and doing some filesystem balancing magic with links and mountpoints to get some sort of hierarchical storage for my needs.

2. Piro Silver badge

Honestly, 32GB isn't enough for a boot drive for any modern OS and application workload.

64GB at an absolute pinch, but in my opinion, 120GB minimum, 256GB preferable.

There's the Samsung 830 available at 150 quid with 20 quid cashback on Dabs right now, and that would be my recommendation over any other drive by far.

1. ZillaOfManilla

"There's the Samsung 830 available at 150 quid with 20 quid cashback on Dabs right now, and that would be my recommendation over any other drive by far." Over the Intel 330's? for similar/same price?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Over the Intel 330's? for similar/same price?"

Having tested both: YES

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Look at "innodisk" - and their SATA-DOM products.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Wonder how easy it is to install one of these on my laptop. Been considering it for a while now.

1. Yet Another Commentard

Re: hmm

Unless you have a Mac (or similar) with proprietary connectors, finding the screwdriver should be the hardest part.

No warranties, express or implied etc. are given.

1. Monkey

I put a 256 830 series in a late 2009 13" macbook pro the other week and I needed no proprietary connectors. It took longer to undo al the tiny baseplate screws on the machine itself than it did to disconnect the SATA connector to the motherboard, remove the HDD caddy chasis and mount screws, reattach them to the 830 drive, plug it in and put it in the machine.

Might just be my machine but I can honestly say it was a quicker and easier job than the same task carried out on an HP and Toshiba laptop the previous week.

1. thomanski

Good to hear there's improvement in that area. I had a good bit of trouble on a 2006 13" Macbook removing screws that look like this: http://apple4less.com/ebay/images/mbhdtray-2.jpg. Had to grab them with pliers to turn them and thus screw them off since none of my screwdrivers fit.

I felt somewhat bitter about the experience, presuming (perhaps wrongly) they were purposely made so they would only be easily removable by some £1,500 Apple screwdriver.

7. lawndart

Is it just me

or did anyone else read the headline as "Samsung about to abandon construction/development of faster SSDs "?

Which was a worry.

1. Arctic fox
      Happy

@lawndart "Is it just me.....or did anyone else read the headline as" No, me too. It was only.....

............after some head-scratching that I realised that they meant "about to drop" in the sense of about to "hatch" - so to speak. :)

8. Dazed and Confused

Damn,

The first thing I did when I worked out the article was about a new gen of their SSDs was to go to DABs and check out the 830 pricing. The 256GB drives are at about the same price they've been since May, mid £120+VAT, but I'd been hoping the 512GB drives had dropped :-(

Damn

nope they've not

Damn again.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faster than a hard drive?

"provides 100,000 IOPS for random read and 90,000 IOPS for random write, making it three times faster than a hard drive in system-level benchmarks

Excuse me, where do I find a hard drive that can do 30,000 IOPS?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't think so

SSD makers have figured out how to dupe the benches to get high numbers that don't relate in actual typical use - much as GPU makers learned 10 years ago. In addition SSD makers still aren't offering reliable/compatible MLC based SSDs let alone this "TLC" model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like