back to article The Register lands in Australia

We took a while to make it official, but The Register has opened an Asia-Pacific bureau based in Australia. To celebrate – and drum up an email list worthy of our soon-to-launch all-Australian newsletter - we want to give our Australian readers a ‘New iPad’. Our new bureau has our first-ever full time APAC Editor, long-time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig Foster
    Devil

Diiiiiirty

The thought of The Reg handing out Apple!! products makes me feel dirty on the inside.

Luckily I'm not above getting a little muddy! ^_^

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

Welcome to the Underlords

Welcome and respect to those capable of spending so much time down under.

I was a bit surprised to see that the future editorial staff weren't named Bruce, Kevin and Sheila...

3. footloose

Antipodean name

Not at all impressed by the suggested names for your southern edition, bland and uninspiring.

Perhaps "The Wedgie" would be a better name. It reminds one of that other great bird that feeds as much on carrion as live prey, the Wedgetail Eagle and that "fun" game of grabbing the back of someone's jocks and pulling them up high.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Antipodean name

The Great Galah?

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
      Pint

Meh, I'd have no problem with Vulture South, however I *am* concerned about the beer icon. This is a UK brew, innit? Maybe we need a wine icon for us shofistucatud antepodeans <insert quote from Pratchett's Last Continent here>?

3. Snarkiest

I like your thinking, was thinking along similar lines..

I was thinking "El Wedge" as it has a bit of the old, a bit of us, rhymes with the current nickname and will confuse the heck out of a lot of people, apart from those that can't pronounce the letter R.

1. John Angelico
        Stop

Sorry, but "El Wedge" sounds a bit kiwi, doesn't it?

We could try to take a leaf out of the old Japanese TV advert - can't rememebr the product, but the Australian reporter to HO was Mr Ockamura, who failed to report because he was enjoying the delights of sun, sand, surf and girls on Bondi beach. I seem to recall that his NZ colleague was Mr Kiwimura, but that didn't work as well.

Is OckaReg too bogan?

At least we haven't got Wayne, Julia or Penny as reporters.

4. Laxman
    Trollface

Ger Le

Coz everything's opposite down there.

I crack myself up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Re: Ger Le

Yes, for centuries the British empire walked around on their heads.

Then in 1770 some boat people set off for this great southern land and saved generations from this awful northern hemispherian fate.

Yes, we're up-side down down here... for the better! :-P

2. Adam 1
      Unhappy

Re: Ger Le

I was hoping for bǝɹ ןǝ myself

5. Webcrowd

You missed the point.

In Australia we ALWAYS add an "O" to the end of everything. IF you are going to be truly Australian, none of those names suffice at all. You will need to be:

"The Rego"

Put that on your list.

1. stuartnz
      Thumb Up

Re: You missed the point.

If this K1W1 could vote, he'd vote twice for this suggestion. I came to the comments specifically to suggest Rego, delighted to see that it's already been mentioned. Not sure about the implication in the article, and in the comments, that Kiwis are also antipodeans, but never mind. At least we won't be to blame for whichever boring, insipid, unimaginative handle the Australian branch ends up getting yclept, if that list of options is final. We'll just carry on having our news told by Aussies on the rare occasions they remember we're here. Same old same old, in other words.

1. Webcrowd

Thanks Stuart. I have been reading The Rego for years now, but I just had to comment on the terrible names on that List.

I was going to go the other way where Aussies usually shorten peoples names too, and maybe suggest just "Reg". But Reg is this shifty guy I know down the pub who, if you give him the nod, can get you a TV "at the right price" and insists thats it is not dodgy and came "off the back of a truck" , and I don't think this reputable publication would want to be associated with or mistaken for the other Reg, so Rego seems perfect.

2. Exit Stage Right

I agree, I was going to suggest "Rego", though of course that term is already in use for car registration.

3. Alan Newbury
      Holmes

You can't be 'The Rego' - that's the sticker on my car's windshield...

4. Mort

Or in a similar vein it could be "The Regie".

5. P. Lee
      Stop

You want to name our illustrious source of all knowledge after the car tax?

1. Webcrowd
        Thumb Up

I think most of The Rego readers can tell the difference between an Infinite Resource of Knowledge and a sticker I slap on the Ute so I can go into town to pick up the sheep dip and get pissed.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
          Trollface

You drink sheep dip?

That's hard core, I just drink beer.

6. Chris 47

And another vote from me for Rego. I couldn't bring myself to vote for one of the officially suggested titles.

6. Knoydart
    Coat

Taxi to the east island please

The Waltzing Dodo

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

An iPad?

I was going to enter until I saw the prize.

8. Neoc

Not liking my choices

I don't like the choices for the nickname. How about "Reggy" or "The Big Crow"?

And the sign-up process is of course bolloxed if you are already register with El Reg. Even the "reset your password" hint didn't help. Had to register with a secondary account.

1. John Angelico

Re: Not liking my choices

Nah, had no probs with the Reset Password.

9. Simon_Sharwood_Reg_APAC_Editor (Written by Reg staff)
    Go

Thanks for the early feedback, all. I'll see what we can do for those of you who get other newsletters and would like the Australian one as well. We may also sneak one or two of the better suggestions for names into the list, if we can do so without violating the spirit of the competition.

10. Esskay
    Holmes

"new ipad"

When I saw 'new ipad' in inverted commas, my first thought was that it would effectively be a large post-it note pad with "ipad" scrawled across the top (keeping in mind this is The Register we're talking about. But the reference to 'fondleslab' made me realise the article is in fact referencing something much, much less desirable.

Maybe the prize should be billed as "whatever you can get for selling an iPad on ebay"?

11. DownUndaRob
    Linux

ipad?

Can I have a Galaxy Tab instead?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Os Reg

"Oz Reg" is the only real choice!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn, they've started again

Sending yet more convicts to Van Diemens Land!! :(

14. g-off

The Chook Shed

I think that is sufficiently grouse and Aussie

15. MattoRochford

Underwhelming names

Your list of names - not so groovy.

I like The Rego.

Would also suggest The Regimite.

Regional Reg.

The Reg of Nowhere.

The Lower Register.

16. Peter Taylor
    Thumb Up

Huzzah!

Having just moved to Oz it's nice to see El Reg move with me. Like Neoc I already had an account but seemingly changes were made as I was prompted to select my choice of name for the Antipodean version.

17. Wookie

It doesnt matter as long as it abides by the rules.

Theres a somewhat obvious monty python reference to be made here, but instead knowing local tendences to end things in "azza" - ie. Dazza, Shazza etc....how about The Razza :p

18. arthur two sheds

Roo Reg FTW!

19. P. Lee
    Joke

Grumbles

Probably going to charge 200% markup on the cost of the UK version...

20. Brett Weaver

Can we now get

Can we now get the UK site when we enter .co.uk at the end of the address?

I like Australia.. Was living there till June.. But when I key a .uk site I do not want some "clever" web server giving me localised stories in the antipodes. I want UK stories when I key UK! (I guess I can use an anonymiser but.. WTF!!!)

The West Islands now has their own site hooray!

21. frank ly

A small problem .....

Congratulations and best wishes of course, but please note the following:

I've often picked up articles from your Australian correspondents via a headline on the RSS feed and later found that the article is not listed on your main front page. I hope that was a temporary situation and they will be fully incorporated into El Reg from now on.

1. frank ly

Re: A small problem .....

Guess what .... as I write, this article is not listed on the main page.

22. Pirate Pete
    Thumb Down

ɐʎɐɹʇs ɟo suəzıʇıɔ əɥʇ ɯoɹɟ əƃɐssəɯ ɐ

¡ʎuuıʇ ɐ uədo ʞɔɐɹɔ puɐ ʎʞsə uɐ dn llnd 'ɹəpun uʍop puɐl əɥʇ oʇ ɯɐəʇ ƃəɹ lə əɥʇ əɯoɔləʍ ʎlqɯnɥ əʍ

23. EvanPyle
    Boffin

G'reg? (ger - reg) G'day

Ay reg? (aye - reg) Ay mate!

Regya? (reg - ya) Straya'

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets stalk 'strine

How about above airf reg!!

25. mathew42
    Unhappy

Vulture Down Under

Rather than Vulture South, you could have at least gone for Vulture Down Under, although I much prefer Wedgie to vulture- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_Eagle

26. Bernd Felsche
    Devil

Apple-plectic?

I don't yet need an incontinence pad (iPad).

27. Chris Reynolds
    Go

Rega Rega

In the spirity of Australian place names such as Wagga Wagga, Bli Bli, Gin Gin et al I propose 'Rega Rega'

28. TheStartButton

TheRogister

TheYates would make it all better.

29. vidura

what about 'regie didge'

Y'now i would go for an ipad, but i bet it would come loaded with iOS6. And speaking as I am having had first hand disappointment in apples maps app, could we please win an ipad with an earlier version of iOS?

30. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pint

Kevin

Or formally, El Kevin

31. TheOtherMe
    WTF?

Job Titles

When signing up I found it a little odd that the available choices for "Job Title" did not include Systems/Network Administrator... Surely there are a number of other BOFH's besides me, who read this fine site regularly?

1. Sp1k3

Re: Job Titles

Just enter System Admin under other jobs.

32. TimChuma
    Unhappy

Investigate what happened to government IT

There are no contract roles at all in the Victorian State Government, none at all. I am sure there is still work to do but no one is doing it.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Investigate what happened to government IT

Has it occurred to you that they may have hired IT workers as permanent staff instead of as contractors? After all, the Gershon Report did recommend doing just that.

33. DeadlyChicken

Yup a glaring mistake not to include Reg0 and Regie as options as these are the most common Australian-isms.

What about El Bruce

or RegieriDoo

or Reg Vegas

34. InfoSteve

I was hoping for something like The Rego, or The Regi. Simmo, Richo and Natto would surely agree...

35. This post has been deleted by its author

36. Pipes
    Childcatcher

Viva la wedgie!

Fantastic! You could start by getting some Australians to write better antipodean names though. All the options are about as Australian as the site's domain suffix.

I agree with the rest of the throng, "The Wedgie" or "El Wedge" are much better options.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barf Time!

"I come from the land downunder, where the women blow and the men chunder!"

........... and the pommy poofter names in the dropdown list are enough to make any Aussie bloke do just that!

38. Angus 2
    Joke

I am thinking

Howzabout Au Reg as in Our Reg.

39. Sir J

Au Reg could always be 'The Golden Reg..'

This topic is closed for new posts.