back to article Samsung chips evicted from iPhone 5, autopsy reveals

Fans fed up of broken iPhone screens will be pleased to hear that the new model, the iPhone 5, makes it much easier to replace the glass panel placed on top of the smartphone's display. So say the gadget deconstructionists at iFixit.com after getting hold of the handset this morning Down Under. iFixit.com iPhone 5 takeapart …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon Harris
    Happy

The only iPhone 5 deconstruction question I want to ask is...

... Will it blend?

(Apparently even an iPad2 will!)

2. ElNumbre

Relativity

"...Apple is shipping the 5 with a 3.8V, 5.45Wh Lithium-ion Polymer battery made by Sony. It's easy to remove and replace too."

Easy is a bit relative when referring to the iDevices. Its easy if you don't mind going at the device with a pentalobe screwdriver and void any warranty remaining.

Unless most other devices where you just pop the back off.

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Relativity

If you've got remaining warranty why wouldn't you get Apple to replace the battery for free?

1. thegrouch
        Thumb Down

But the point is you can do it yourself in seconds with other phones. Having to send the thing back to Apple or drop into a shop just to change a faulty battery is madness.

2. HMB

"If you've got remaining warranty why wouldn't you get Apple to replace the battery for free?"

Apple website quotes:

"...one-year limited warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery..."

"...Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity..."

and slightly out of order

"You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone"

Two year standard warranty in the EU.

Italy has already stamped on Apple for miss-selling 2 year Applecare cover on products that have a statutory two year warranty anyway.

3. DrXym

"If you've got remaining warranty why wouldn't you get Apple to replace the battery for free?"

Some people don't like backing up all their data and sending their device off to replace a poxy battery. Especially when the device they get back from this process might not be the one they sent in the first place, hence the need for a backup.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you don't like backing up your data you must obviously like jumping off tall buildings just holding an umbrella.

1. HipposRule
            Meh

No, I don't like jumping off tall buildings but, in reality, there's b all that's on my phone that I would shed a tear over if it went AWOL. A few photos (if I'd really cared about them they'd be on a NAS somewhere) and some contacts that wouldn't be that difficult to get again.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

If you want to swap your battery on the go don't get an iphone, if you don't care (like most people I expect, I haven't met anyone that carries two batteries on them or own two batteries for that matter, unless one of them is broken) then the lack of replaceable battery doesn't rule the iphone out.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

When I switched phones to a new Android phone over my old one, all my apps, contacts etc all synced up with my gmail account! the one good use of the cloud... Personally thought I like to keep my media local, cloud is fine for backups not primary data...

2. Steve Evans

@A/C 12:15 GMT was Re: Relativity

I remember watching my brother update his iPhone once (backup, update, restore)... Two words came to mind... F*CKING SLOW!

That's why people skip backups.

Plus there is the other issue with backing it up and sending it off... What exactly are you supposed to use for a phone whilst the "genius" is dribbling over your phone whilst replacing the battery?

Final issue, for a Li-ion battery to be reduced to the required <50% capacity within 12 months is very very unlikely. Two or three years down the line is far more like it... Now what are you going to do (assuming you're not a good fanboy and didn't instantly upgrade your phone as soon as you were able).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Send it off? they'll do it in store for you.

1. DrXym

"Send it off? they'll do it in store for you."

Assuming you live near a store. And if you don't?

4. Lord Voldemortgage

Because that's a bit of a time-consuming process if all I want to do is pop in a freshly charged battery so I can keep using the thing for a few more hours.

5. Miek
        Linux

"If you've got remaining warranty why wouldn't you get Apple to replace the battery for free?" -- some people like to battery swap because of a drained battery rather than a faulty battery.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can get external packs that will recharge a phone. There's even been cases with extra battery capacity. The advantage is you don't even need to switch your phone on and off.

Removable backs are a great place to get dust into your phone and they tend to be creaky or flexible. You can make a stronger phone if you screw it together, plus not have to worry about end users screwing up the phone touching metal internals with screwdrivers etc.

1. Franklin
            Happy

"Removable backs are a great place to get dust into your phone and they tend to be creaky or flexible."

That's actually a problem I've encountered with my HTC phone, which I got rid of my iPhone for.

On paper, the replaceable battery really seems like an idea. In practice, unless you have a Class 5 cleanroom in your pants--which I assure you, I do not--the removable back lid tends to be a great place for dust and grit to accumulate. In fact, I've discovered that every month or two I actually have to pry the back off my Sensation and blow the grit out, or else the wake/sleep switch atop the phone quits working.

Pragmatically, plug-in battery extenders and a sealed phone actually seem like a better solution to me. Of course, other people might disagree, which is why we have a choice in phones. Buy the one that suits your needs best, but don't slag off everyone else who makes a different choice for being an idiot. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

With my S2, I replaced the standard battery with a 3500 mah unit. It even came with a replacement back to accommodate the physically larger battery.

The phone is now a little bulkier and a little heavier. And I'll tell you straight - that suits me down to the ground.

Previously, the S2 was too thin and too light. It was difficult to feel its presence on my hip making me wonder if I'd left it somewhere. The extra bulge at the back means it fits my hand more comfortably.

Thinner, lighter phones ... you can keep them. I now have a phone that does all the tricks I need of it, feels comfortable to hold and carries on doing the complex work, for longer.

6. jonathanb Silver badge

On my Samsung phone, I can carry a spare fully charged battery in my bag, and swap it over in a couple of seconds. The longest part of the process is the reboot afterwards.

7. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Re: Relativity

If you've got remaining warranty why wouldn't you get Apple to replace the battery for free?"

Silly question!

What if you don't? W O W!

8. Arthur 1

I was unaware Apple had started offering a service where they swap your empty battery for a charged one every day around 5 as you're leaving the office. Is there a number I can call for that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Treat the Symptom

"Fans fed up of broken iPhone screens will be pleased to hear that the new model, the iPhone 5, makes it much easier to replace the glass panel"

What if you don't want it to break so easily?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Samsung chips evicted from iPhone 5"

That should read: A decent phone evicted from iPhone5.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because Samdung are the only company in the world who can make great chips?

Hardly, they just make things other people design just like Foxconn.

5. Tegne

Would you like a Phone with that battery, sir?

That battery is mahoosive. Thirsty beasts those iphones.

1. Wam

Re: Would you like a Phone with that battery, sir?

It looks big yes, but the capacity seems less that the squat battery in my S3 (apparently 7.98 Wh)

6. Andrew Hodgkinson
    FAIL

Carrying device specific spare batteries? Really?

Or I could just buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoobao-11200mA-Portable-Battery-Charger/dp/B005MBX6L2

...and that's the equivalent of roughly five spare batteries, but you only have to carry the one "lump", it charges loads of different devices including an iPad or non-Apple kit and you don't have to faff around individually charging lots of vendor specific battery packs. No reboots required either since you're not swapping hardware.

It works well. I've had one exactly as pictured above for a year (for less than the above price - search around, should be available for under £30). I recharged a 4S from less than 10% to 100% three times with it and there were still two LEDs illuminated on its 5 LED display so it probably really will get 4-5 charges of the phone as advertised.

There are loads of alternatives to the same idea with varying capacities, sizes and designs. Excellent for long haul flights and so-on. As for packing multiple replacement batteries for one single specific device? Don't be daft, it's not the 90s anymore :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Carrying device specific spare batteries? Really?

While handy for the weekend camping in the wilds, it's not exactly a compact or discreet solution for the masses.

curious name - Long March makes me think of Mao rather than a hike through the woods.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have a similar device that does about 3 charges for my mobile, but the advantage I found of a spare battery is no need to charge the device, switch out battery and use as is rather than plug it into something else...

Oh and it took them a LONG time for these portable battery chargers to appear, I remember asking a few years ago in a phone shop and getting a very blank look on their face...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but the advantage I found of a spare battery is no need to charge the device"

You still need to charge the other battery though and the Power Monkey has been around for years

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I can charge an external pack via the cig lighter socket on a car. Try charging a spare battery for a Samsung S3 that way. Would be rather fiddly.

I think Nokia did used to sell external chargers for batteries, but that was a long time ago.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Overpriced patent trolls

Won't be wasting my money on one of these. There are other manufacturers that supply good quality phones with decent mapping for a lot less wonga.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overpriced patent trolls

Slight bug there:

s/good quality phones/plastic toys/

You're welcome.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The price you pay is largely irrelevant since Apple kit holds its value longer.

I sold an iPhone 4 to Evirophone for £170, that's a 25 month old phone I paid £499 for. I might have got more on ebay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeh, because all those Galaxy SIIs are going for pittance on ebay...

Oh wait, no they're not. 19 months old, £172 - £200 depending on what time the auction ends.

8. Steve Knox

Multiple sources?

Samsung chips evicted...

The unit iFixit acquired contained Flash storage from Hynix, and 1GB of LPDDR 2 memory, built into the A6 CPU package, from Elpida.

Surely Apple sources standard parts such as Flash and DRAM from multiple suppliers? One phone not having Samsung parts doesn't necessarily indicate no phones having any Samsung parts..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like