back to article EMC: I Have A Dream - of ABBA in every HPC setup

EMC has had a dream, a flash appliance called ABBA that helps mega-node HPC set-ups run faster and smoother. ABBA is an acronym for the Active Burst Buffer Appliance. It's designed by Los Alamos National Labs (LANL) and EMC to help in massive tightly-coupled high-performance computing (HPC) where nodes need to interact and not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J.T

Your missing the other big thing from what LANL and EMC have done with the new subsystem. Before, all computation had to be done and completed, then the nodes would then do the modeling (pretty video). Now, with the system in place, they can do computation and modeling at the same time, thus greatly reducing the time to run the "experiment"

The checkpoints now also occur at a much greater frequency than 4 hours, thus reducing how much time they lose when a node fail

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Mamma Mia!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Questions

So, is this SOS (storage on silicon)?

Was it developed at Waterloo?

How expensive is it - I'll bet its Money Money Money!

After all, you don't want to Take A Chance on that much work being lost, because in HPC, the Winner Takes It All.

And I'd be this would be halfway usedful in Chess, as well.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You need to login to use this part of the site

"...LANL simulation of nuclear weapon strike on an asteroid - Click for the vid..."

Click for the vid of some chipmunk faced American called Chad, bouncing around like a retard.

WTF?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You need to login to use this part of the site

He's Canadian...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

And thanks to this story's headline...

... I've had "Abba -- Take A Chance" stuck in my head on loop. And I thought one of my colleagues getting "Peter Allen -- I Go To Rio" stuck in her head and deciding to share it with the office a few weeks back was bad.

Help!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like