back to article Apple slip-up slows iOS 6 upgrades

Fanbois rushing to install iOS 6 on their iThings have been frustrated by the absence of a web page the devices need to visit when reconnecting to networks after the upgrade. The upgrade process itself appears to be smooth, but once an upgraded iDevice attempts to connect to a network it seeks out a web page on Apple.com. That …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil Kingston

Apple beta testing in "live" again?

Perfect example of why I always avoid updates for a few days before hitting the "go" button.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No problems

Have upgraded my 4S, new iPad and iPod, it was painless easy and came across no problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No problems

3 devices 15 minutes each device.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I tried it and it's bricked my iDevice. Won't even power on...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wow, that downvote made it work again! Thanks! Apple Rule once more!

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I tried it and my dog keeled over. He only had one day left till retirement.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Thumb Up

I tried to upgrade my phone and it failed.

Funny thing is, someone saw an old woman in the nearby wood pulling up one of her socks. That must be the reason. Everyone knows she's a witch.

4. Stuart 22

Just askin ..

Were any of these reported bricked iPhones from:

1) Fanbois who actually have one? or

2) Jailbroken or otherwise configured to Apple's displeasure?

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Apple beta testing in "live" again?

Yes, it's known as "taking the Windows Vista route".. Stupid, reaaaally stupid.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

words cannot express how ANGRY I am I have spent almost eight hours sat next to my phone waiting for it

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OH NOES

I am going away with my friends to the mountains this weekend followed by a trip to the beach, how am I going to take and edit hundreds of photos of my friends at the mountains and on the beach and upload them to my iCloud to sync to all my devices and post on my web for all my friends to see I cant even take video and edit it on the go

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wi-Fi

At work, we are currently repairing a whole load of iDevice things and there are a few with the wi-fi option unavailable, it seems quite a common fault after every update. There are always a few which loose the ability to turn wi-fi on and the solution is either, put it in the freezer or heat it up. Sounds like a tiny crack in the lead free solder to me, although better minds than mine think its the hardware and you need to jailbrake it to get it working again. I was thinking of upgrading the devices we have at work, but maybe I'll leave it now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wi-Fi

Interesting that you didn't find this in test...you did test right.....

Still I'm sure putting the CEO's i-device in the microwave will fix it for you...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Wi-Fi

Thanks genius, there was me thinking the only way to reheat an electronic circuit board was using some kind of re heat station, I forgot about the microwave. What exactly are we supposed to test by the way? If the phone comes to us with a faulty screen or battery, gets replaced, everything is working, including the wifi and we run the update and it greys it out, what would testing of prevented?

This fault appears on all models of i phone, pad and pod, one will work fine and another will not. Either a production run problem or if you like your conspiracy theory some built in failure rate to push people onto new kit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice of Google to emulate the experience

"Google Now servers apparently down"

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/09/19/google-now-servers-apparently-down-only-care-if-running-jelly-bean/

4. CaptSmegHead
    Thumb Up

Ok for me

iOS6 installed ok on my iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ok for me

Thank god for that, I'd have slept much better last night if you'd told me earlier, I was awake for hours worrying about your iDevice update and if it had worked properly for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 06:42

Damn. My girlfriend thinks you're funnier than me and she wants to have your children / play with your Bulgarian Airbags (context sensitive). You owe me a keyboard, a life and a new iDevice, as mine bricked due to the upgrade / overexcitement. And its not even friday.

5. Mark Wilson

20 hours

I gave up when it told me that it would take 20 hours to download. Not in any major hurry to upgrade anyway.

1. Andy ORourke
      Meh

Re: 20 hours

I think the Windows file copy dialogue guy must have gone to work for apple:

Estimating download time

Time remaining 6 hours

Time remaining less than 1 minute

Time remaining 4 hours

Time remaining less than 1 minute

Time remaining 3 minutes

Time remaiing less than 1 minute

Time remaining 16 hours

Actual time start to finish 15 minutes, Actual feelings when surveying the latest greatest iOS - MEH

Phone is now going to the bay, Huwawei Ascend G300 (£60 from Tesco) here I come

1. Stacy
        Happy

It's something I noticed when I got my MacBook Pro - Microsoft Minutes are positively accurate compared to Apple Minutes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft Minutes are positively accurate compared to Apple Minutes."

You want the king of dodgy minutes, try London buses or the DLR.

1. Bunker_Monkey
            Stop

'Student' minutes are still better than both! Heres my student lunch break calculation... proven during the late 90's

permitted time x 2 + 5mins = actual length of break to be taken.....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Student' minutes

Ahhh, that must have been Tory cutbacks because the calculation in the 80's was way more generous:

permitted time x 5 + 3 leisurely beers + 3 "Oh shit its last orders" beers + large whisky + (kebab|bhaji) + generous spliff x 2 terms = panic in May due to large amount of coursework to complete to avoid retaking year.

2. Dave Perry

My MBP minutes are pretty accurate. I did put a 7200RPM drive in there though, which has noticably made things 1/3 faster to get done (particularly boot, and firefox).

1. Stacy

Good for you :)

Mine look amazing close to the ones posted by Andy ORourke

2. Rufus McDufus

Exactly the same problem here. Gave up last night, but it still failed this morning over wifi.

Updated using iTunes which threw up some error, iPad was in recovery mode but switching off/on revealed it was at last running IOS6 but failed to restore any apps.

All good now except gmail in Chrome is stuck in offline mode.

1. Rufus McDufus

Oh and the iPad (3) keeps hanging for a second or two at a time.

6. GettinSadda
    FAIL

iOS6 update broke on my iPhone 4

On my iPhone 4 the update ran on the phone, but then required me to connect to iTunes on my computer. iTunes now does not recognise the iPhone so it is doing a good impression of an iBrick.

Currently looking for a solution!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: iOS6 update broke on my iPhone 4

DFU mode (search for it if you don't know how)

1. GettinSadda
        Boffin

Well, the answer appeared to be:

1) Use iExplorer to rename iTunesCDB to something else

2) Reboot

3) Connects but iTunes tells me the phone is broken

4) Discover that the phone now completes its setup anyway

5) Use iExplorer to remove the newly created iTunesCDB and put back the old one

6) Profit!

2. G2
      Mushroom

A) or try starting it in recovery mode and re-flash it.

1. Turn phone off

2. Press and continue to hold the Home button while you reconnect the USB cable to your iPhone, this will cause the iPhone to turn on

3. Continue to hold the Home button until an alert message in iTunes informs you that an iPhone in recovery mode has been detected. (hopefully)

4. re-flash it.

and/or

B) if you tried (A) and it still doesn't work and it's under warranty, return it.

C) if (A) doesn't work and it's not under warranty, you're SOL.

Consider selling it for parts OR if you have data on it that you're worried about, consider CAREFULLY removing the salvageable bits yourself (e.g. screen+touch sensor assembly, battery,...) and applying some heavy duty percussive maintenance to the remaining mainboard bits. :p

1. jowlymonster

This is what I love about Apple stuff, "It just works"

1. Stacy
          Unhappy

@jowlymonster

You missed the punctuation "It *just* works"

Or at least that was my impression after an iPhone and MBP :(

3. VinceH

"the iPhone so it is doing a good impression of an iBrick.

Currently looking for a solution!"

You need an iShock, aka a percussive maintenance device.

7. Justice

I had this on my 4, but just reset network settings and working A-OK.

Just don't EVER refer to me as an iSheep or FanBoi. This sub-standard overpriced pile of crap with it's user-unfriendly iOS will be the last CrApple product I ever purchase.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You shud have bought a 4S!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rule 1

Never, ever upgrade on day 1.

Let the dumb asses find the faults first, wait for fix, wait a bit longer, then download.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rule 1

Don't talk about Rule #1!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well of course

If Apple(.com) doesn't exist it's obvious that either the whole internet is not available, or it's just not worth visiting it any more.

That is why they only used that one page, from one domain to test rather than using two different ones, obviously.

10. Simon B
    Trollface

Another fix is to put it in a bag, stap over and over on it, say abracadabra, and voila! it's still shit. You can now put it in the bin ;)

11. Velv
    Mushroom

Levels of Trust

So there are a few teething problems. Someone didn't fully test and document the requirements and some of the early upgrades didn't work quite as expected. It all got fixed in the end.

Which is OK for consumer tech devices that have little consequence around an outage

But would you trust Apple to be your cash, your credit card or your Bank???

Or any other amateur IT operation for that matter - if the "experienced" Banks can screw it up, God help us when the inexperienced start running our finances.

1. PsychicMonkey
      Unhappy

Re: Levels of Trust

I wouldn't trust Apple.

Although that is true of any large business really....

12. Greg J Preece

Wait, wait, wait. So every time an iOS device connects to a network, it calls home first? Am I the only one that's wondering what else that page does?

1. El Andy
      Big Brother

ET - iPhone home

Nope, you're not the only one. I'm sure Apple wouldn't just go ahead and use that data to track iPhone users without their consent though, eh? <sounds of vaguely muffled laughter>

1. Greg J Preece

Re: ET - iPhone home

I wonder if they'll take (another) prompt from Android and blame it on a "rogue programmer."

1. J 3
          Joke

Re: ET - iPhone home

By the way, who's got the patent on that excuse?

13. djstardust

Oh dear ....

Apple must have all the Ex-Nokia engineers working for them now ......

14. CmdrX3

Had the problem myself

I fixed it by by going into the wifi networks settings, choosing my network and selecting to Forget This Network. I then simply reconnected to my network entered the password and all was working fine again.

15. TechicallyConfused
    FAIL

hahahahahahaha good old Apple. . . they never fail to disappoint with their upgrades

16. mrfill
    Holmes

Another copy..

Looks like Apple have shamefully copied the Microsoft Update methodology.

Here's an idea - how about concentrating on testing products properly instead of trying to convince the world you invented geometry. Testers are far cheaper than lawyers.

17. Alan Denman

They now own your WIFI

Yep,

to use your own wifi your device first has to touch base Apple HQ.

A subtle change with IOS 6 and another easy way to own you.

It acts as a kill switch local or national which is all fine and well, but doing it to your own WIFI does take a bit of audacity.

1. JeffyPooh
      Pint

Re: They now own your WIFI

"...A subtle change with IOS 6..."

Wrong. iGadgets have been pinging to Apple.com for a very long time.

I have a screen capture from last year of a conference hall ($495/day, for everyone) WiFi portal login page with the address bar proudly showing "Apple.com". It's a necessary part of being able to find iGadgets over the Interweb.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was nothing to do with recently upgraded phones - My phone was upgraded with the GM version last week and last night decided it wasn't going to connect to my WiFi router because of this missing file (it kept popping up a login page and then shutting off if I pressed cancel).

It seems like iOS devices' ability to use WiFi is irrevocably linked to the existence of this page, which is complete madness!

19. cnapan
    Pint

Apple actually helping

...sounds like the maps in IOS6 are shit anyway, so they're just trying to put you off upgrading.

20. OffBeatMammal
    Big Brother

Why does it need to visit an Apple page anyway?

No-one seems to be asking/answering the important question here... why if I want to join my WiFi network does the iOS device need to visit a page on Apple's servers in the first place?

1. Andy 115

Re: Why does it need to visit an Apple page anyway?

Actually a very simple reason...

The phone is trying to determine IF the network connection it has is open to the wider Internet. (Or if it is locked behind a paywall)

It explains why often "login to use" wifi connections often show www.apple.com in the browser address bar

Of course, if some wifi site owners REALLY wanted to screw iDevices up, they could presumably allow free access to apple.com

21. Craig 12

Windows checks a microsoft page for every network connection to show you the little "world" icon. Of course, if it can't reach microsoft.com, it doesn't disable the entire connection...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade was painless. Guess when you sell a kazillion of these things a few people will have issues.

23. Stu
    Mushroom

*sigh*

Steve would never let this happen if he were still around.

This, Maps and Youtube (having to revert to an iPhone app to watch YT vids) are all signs that Apple is flagging without it's 'illustrious' deceased leader.

Not that they were ever really good on the software side of things.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eye house six faster to date when you smoothly. I am currently busy please call me back thanks. Ape. All phone brilliant.

Composed by Siri on my iPhone 4S.

25. Cutman

Maps!

We upgraded our iPad, I mean, we downgraded our iPad to iOS6 yesterday. Maps is a disaster and useless for those that do use them for work.

We'll be keeping our iPhones untouched by the hand of iOS6 for the time being.

26. scottyman

Would probably explain why findmyiphone experienced a total fail for a large part of yesterday - sat there and thought about things for 30 seconds before returning me to the sign-in screen each time. Anything that used core iCloud authentication with a non-apple address seemed to fail

27. json

The Real DEBACLE is THE MAPS!!!!

... Google engineers are laughing their asses off on this one.. I cant understand how Apple insists on putting out a quarter baked product.

Can't wait for google maps to become available again as an app.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like