back to article Google to snatch US web advertising crown from Facebook

Google will overtake Facebook in the lucrative digital display advertising market in the US by holding 15.4 per cent of the sector by the end of the year, according to new figures. Beancounters at eMarketer said the search giant is expected to make $2.31bn in US display ad revenue in 2012, up 38.5 per cent from its earnings in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Admit it, you thought they were already number one" - Actually, yes, I did. But you were just refering to banner ads weren't you you little tinker!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook ?

That's sooooo yesteryear and a bad investment.

3. David 164

Be honest I am sad, we need more competition on the web, to keep up the innovation, hopefully Mayers can rebuild Yahoo in the next couple of years. Youtube must surely be turning a profit now for Google? As for Facebook, well poor little Zuck, sorry to say Facebook will probably continue to lose market share, Facebook is already saturated with ads, any more an it will start to turn off users, if it has not done already an with the prices company are paying for display ads, there not a lot of places for Zuck to expand his empire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure I get what you're saying.

Are you suggesting we need "innovation" in having more ads on the web? That's not a kind of innovation I'd subscribe to.

2. kain preacher

Well if the put flikr back the way it was along with yahoo groups and chat Maybe. Yahoo wants to be a portal were Google is a search engine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

elgoog on it's way to being the neo record company?

Search Engine's don't want to be search engines for free, they do it to profit.

Record Label: Google

Advertising company: Google

Promotions: Google

Domain: Google

Hosting: Google

Placement: Google

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: elgoog on it's way to being the neo record company?

Just make sure you're band name and first song isn't "DHSucks - google spying sucks"

5. Fingerless Pyro
    WTF?

Mopping up the scraps?

So if Google is going to get 21.2 percent, Facebook 15.5 and Yahoo! gets 7, that leaves 56.3% of the market left. Seems rather poorly worded to imply that those three have between them gobbled up all but 'the scraps".

6. mhenriday
    FAIL

I do love these «analysts»

who are able to tell more than two years in advance not merely to the nearest percent, but to the nearest tenth of a percent just how much market share a given company is going to enjoy ! I am filled with immense confidence in the ability of our beancounters to predict the future in great detail - a confidence which their track records hitherto no doubt entirely justifies....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like