back to article HTC Droids get working bonk-payment NFC setup in China

HTC and China Merchants Bank have launched a mobile wallet, allowing owners of HTC Android smartphones to pay for stuff wirelessly by tapping their phone on the till or what have you. The technology is stored in a secure chip in the handset and thus is available without approval, or notification, of the network operator. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Single point of failure

The more functionality you put on a phone, the more impact you get when it is lost or stolen. Not to mention viruses wiping out your credits or transferring the proceeds to Kuala Lumpur.

I'll pass for the moment. Cash still works rather well for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electronic fund transfers

Make the VAT man's life a LOT easier.

3. MJG

NFS Payments

This is a little off topic, but having recently got an S3 which has NFC on Orange in the UK, can I use any kind of wallet at all. Does anyone know the status of NFC over here. Whats available in the UK for NFC payments?

NFC has lots of other uses (such as notifying a charger of presence, signing in security, tap to transfer files, etc). and some that will come in the future I'm sure. It's just I turned off NFC the day I got the phone, and never turned it back on (dont know anyone else with NFC to do transfers, etc). I would like to turn it on for something even just 'play', but no idea...

Thoughts please?

1. Lusty

@MJG Re: NFS Payments

I think the main use for NFC in the Galaxy S3 is so you can tell iPhone users they don't have it. If it was genuinely useful right now Apple probably would have included it too.

1. Simon Harris
        Joke

Re: @MJG NFS Payments

The real reason iPhones don't have NFC is because every time they tried bonking it to pay, they cracked the screen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @MJG NFS Payments

" If it was genuinely useful right now Apple probably would have included it too."

BOLLOX!

So the 1,000's of NFC terminals poping up everywhere are for fun then?

Apple look like they are standing still.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China + NFC security.

A match made in heaven... for fraudsters.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple seem to be standing still right now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like