back to article GCHQ in new challenge for cyber security wannabes

GCHQ, the nerve centre for UK eavesdropping spooks, has launched a new attempt to persuade tech-savvy Brits to defend their nation rather than seek lucrative employment in private companies. Officials at the Government Communications Headquarters are after potential cyber spooks aged 16 and over who are not already working in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome

Shiver me timbers

Lovin the fact that El Reg has gone all piratey on ITLAPD

top job me hearty

2. James 47

Open to Brits only

Boo

1. wyatt
      Thumb Up

Re: Open to Brits only

Maybe that's part of the challenge..!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not a great place to work

For those who followed the inquest on Gareth Williams, it didnt sound a great place to work.

No one noticed he was missing and no one seemed to care that he wasnt around.

Then when he was found, it looks like there may have been attempts to smear his name.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not a great place to work

Gareth Williams was seconded to SIS at the time, and wanted away from there _BACK_ to GCHQ

...for those who followed the inquest a bit more carefully

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. I think so I am?
      Holmes

Re: Oops

that was part of the test! honest.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spelling

Perhaps the new English Baccalaureate will cure the problem.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. VinceH
          Joke

Re: Spelling

"I bet you had to look up how to spell that...."

Why? He doesn't appear to have used the word 'that'

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Catch 42 Enigma ...... a Colossal Conundrum for Captivating Cyber Circles in Dire Straits

It is an indisputable fact, that no amount of delusional fiction will alter, that you cannot defend or corrupt and take down a system or systems with systems, if you do not know how to defeat and corrupt and take down systems, and whenever you know how to defeat and corrupt and take down such as are then vulnerable systems, [and it is always wise to assume that all systems have easily exploited vulnerabilities], is it much more sensible and certainly considerably more lucrative to replace the established compromisable system with something new and completely different which has everyone leading, thinking and starting afresh with novel ideas ....... with no past baggage/unfair advantage/inequitable impediment to blight the present as it with IT and media collusion delivers new future programs with smarter drive protocols/significantly higher standards.

As you can imagine, do such systems as would be currently running to any rigged and dodgy advantage do practically nothing to address the situation, and would even try to resist and curtail fundamental change and fundamental discussion and information exchange on probably perceived as radical change to a traditional position in evident decline and obvious increasing distress. But such radicality is the progress which is needed for New Beginnings in SMARTR Futures, Virtual Venturing into @Lien Territory.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Catch 42 Enigma ...... a Colossal Conundrum for Captivating Cyber Circles in Dire Straits

Sorry, i just can't parse this and I've lost the will to live.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Catch 42 Enigma ...... a Colossal Conundrum for Captivating Cyber Circles in Dire Straits

I suspect amanfrommars is actually a bot that generates the random text for its posts using the same algorithm as someof the spam e-mail bots - and fails the Turing test!

1. thenim

Either that or it's a Google translation of something that made sense in Martian...

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Ok, Wise Guys ..... Return this Curveball, True and Proper

Are there many bots, AC, which recognise that it is a waste of everyone's time in space to reply to smart ass comments .... and I have no idea who amanfrommars is.

And would such as would then probably definitely maybe be SMARTR bots, be classified ..... Sentient Beings.

And if GCHQ can't parse this simple comment thread correctly, then is Blighty buggered as a leading light in anything futuristic and compelling. And yes .... this would be an IMPertinent challenge to them to impress their peer audience and reviewing panellists here, there and everywhere, for they have singularly disappointed of late practically in all virtual fields of engagement.

And failure is always because of a lack of intelligence in those and that fronting for intellectual property suppliers right at the front of the resultant gravy train.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably...

....one of the tests further down the line is whether or not you can zip your own corpse into your own holdall?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@YAAc

You mean DV...

1. charlie-charlie-tango-alpha

Re: @YAAc

No. He means PV. At least he does if he is talking about the old vetting system as seems likely .

PV = Positive Vetting.

DV = Developed Vetting.

9. pewpie
    Boffin

Don't forget the password.

Mugwuffin.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like