back to article Motorola outs Razr phone with Intel Inside

Motorola Mobility has introduced its first Intel-based smartphone: the Razr i. In addition to the 2GHz Intel Atom Z2460 - based on the chip giant's single-core Medfield design; 2GHz is a peak, if-the-phone's-cold-enough burst speed - the i has a 4.3in (almost) edge-to-edge OLED display frame in aluminium and a Kevlar casing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why oh why

are news Android phones still being released on ICS? Give em JB.

1. Shagbag
      WTF?

ICS?

Agreed. Google releases a JB Tablet and then releases an ICS phone. What the fuck is with that? LOL

That's not a Dave Cameron 'LOL', by the way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ICS?

Yay for fragmentation

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why oh why

Oh the irony of all the fandroids who claim that it's the phone manufacturers and network operators that hold back updates to Android causing it to be so fragmented then they go and announce a new smartphone made by a company they own that's already a version behind. You couldn't make it up

3. N13L5

Why oh why can't motorola hire a proper industrial designer for their phones?

This might be a great phone, but it looks like a dog's breakfast!

2. Shades
    Thumb Up

You had me at...

... aluminium frame and Kevlar casing!

This could be the replacement for my HTC HD2 (with custom Nandroid ROM) I've been looking for. Still, with that Intel CPU lurking in there I think I'll wait for the real world tests/benchmarks.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: You had me at...

Get a Razr Maxx instead which has a Kevlar case, an ARM processor and a 3000mAh battery.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You had me at...

Support Intel if you must, but ARM has been very good for the UK.

Intel are pricing these chips low to get into the market, once they've kicked ARM out of the way then normal pricing will resume.

3. iGoto

Do apps need to be recompiled?

I haven't been keeping up on this, does it have an ARM instruction set emulator or do all app's need a recomplie? If so, who's going to take a punt on this device if virtually nothing will run on it?

1. iGoto

Re: Do apps need to be recompiled?

Oh hang on a minute, most Android apps aren't native are they - Java based? Probably answers my own question.

2. petur

Only apps that run native code (using the NDK), most normal apps are in java so should run on everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe for some apps, but most games/multimedia apps usually use the NDK. We already had the ARM6 vs ARM7 incompatibilities. Intel makes those a bit worse.

4. SiempreTuna

Compatability ..?

Didn't I read something about compatability issues with the Intel silicon? Like they only run apps that are tweaked for 'em?

Otherwise, it looks really cool.

Agree about JB, though: I mean, this is Google, FFS! They have absolutely no excuse for punting something with 1 year old version of the O/S.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nice case, but why on earth are they building it around an Intel Atom? It runs way too hot and draws too much power compared to an ARM unit.

1. Dazzz
      Facepalm

Cos

Because Intel bunged em loads of cash to get one of their processors in a phone on the market?

2. HMB

You say that but the previous Intel Atom android phone did well on power and battery life, and if those reviewers weren't lying....

6. Manu T

No microSD-card slot?

It has no micrpSD card slot?

Bye!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: No microSD-card slot?

Damn they'll rue that 1 lost sale

2. pip25
      Go

Engadget seems to claim it does have a microSD card slot inside.

3. Michael Hutchinson
      Stop

It'll be under the flap on the top left, next to the micro sim slot (Original Droid Razr has a similar arrangement on the bottom left)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why oh why

Must Intel stamp their mark on the back of this.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

The world must know that it contains an Intel processor, even if they don't give a toss.

It's all part of their plan to dominate mobile as well as everything else.

8. geolight
    FAIL

what no JB!

wait ... isn't Motorola now part of Google?! Google must be totally out of it! I don't know of that many JB devices around, what is going on that even what is essentially heir own products are not using their latest software!

Google and Motorola get a FAIL for this one...

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: what no JB!

Reverse psychology?

"Look competitors using our OS - we said we'd not give Moto special treatment, and this proves it".

9. P. Lee
    Joke

Atom?

Hmmm, where's my BSD installer?

1. Shades

That is...

...a very good point actually. Once having gotten past the locked bootloader - Motorola do love a locked bootloader - I'm sure it won't be long before the clever folk over at XDA Developers get Ubuntu, or even XP, running on this.

10. Unicornpiss
    FAIL

Dealbreaker

For me the only deal breaker is the Intel chip. And single core? Why?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

suspicious

I really wouldn't want to touch one of these, given how many things are actually dependent on the underlying CPU, Dalvik or no. Lots of stuff hits the NDK, and even some browsers require specific CPUs in order to be supported. There has been a lot of doom mongering about fragmentation on Android in the past, but this might be the prime candidate for a more real world example.

(Unless I am missing something bloody obvious, which is possible, I am a bit short on sleep today)

12. Patrick O'Reilly

20h

"20 hours runtime", I hope that's talktime, not standby. But I wouldn't be surprised with a hungry-hungry CISC chip.

13. djstardust

Hmmmm

As much as I detest the hype and price of the iphone this is hardly competition?

14. Barely registers
    Devil

Rectangular, with rounded corners

Must be an iPhone(y)

15. skinner

LTE ?

Does this have LTE like the recently released (and US only at the moment) Razr M?

If not then big fail...my money will be going back in the wallet...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like